Really Advanced Setup

Hmm. I've been using it in a similar fashion for quite some time and have not noticed any problems. I do one thing differently. I usually don't change the terrain. If you are interested. Try playing a game with the same settings only with no terrain changes. (Clear the terrain list in both the player and map bonus panels.) If you try this. I'd be interested in the results.

Glad you like it. That problem is probably caused by either a mod conflict or a corrupted cache.

To clear the Civ 5 cache:
1. Make sure you exit Civ 5.
2. Find the Civ 5 cache folder.
It's location might vary slightly depending on what operating system you have.
Mine is located at: "Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\cache".
3. Delete the cache folder.
4. Restart Civ 5 and load the mod in the usual fashion. Civ 5 will automatically recreate the cache.

If the problem still exists and you are using other mods thy disabling everything but this mod. If it works than you can start re-enabling the other mods until you find the conflict.
I can't seem to get it to work at all :(

I wish there was a way to also select which available city states could or could not be in the game (without having to edit the games files), or to even restrict certain types of city states (ie only European city states).

That would be a neat idea. I'm not sure if it's possible as an option but I'll add it to my notes. If I ever decide to release a new version. I'll look into it.

I have installed version 13 yesterday. Today when starting the game I had error message telling me that my copy was illegal. Once I removed RAS v13 from the MODS folder things are looking good. May I say "weird or bug" ??? (using mac version bought from Apple Store)

Nothing to do with this. The Apple Store version isn't working for anyone today.

Humm ... Since this morning Civ V from Apple Store is working fine for me as long as RAS V13 is not in the mods folder. I am not accusing anyone here. I just find bizarre that a mod could have such consequence on the application. That's All. Btw I tried this morning, alone or with other mods, RAS V13 not even selected crash Civ V.

Try clearing your Civ5 cache and if needed verify your steam game files.

Hi General

I have played with your mod for quite some time and I think it's awesome when you want to ensure not playing a hopeless game and reasonable start, but I would like to start playing civ 5 with my newbie friends with only the essential modifications in order to avoid bugs due to too many interdependencies and complicated mod multiplayer, and in end result make my multiplayer experience better.

From your mod I would like to leave only one thing - increase the initial visibility to fixed value of 5 fields, so that when we start a new game, we know more or less whether the locations are hopeless and make someone seriously screwed already at the beginning. If the starting location is ok, we'll just continue playing, if not we'll make a quick restart and save a lot of time and someone's nerves.

Now I know that taking this small modification from your giant and impressive mod sounds like blasphemy, but would you be so kind and let me know how to do it?

Thanks

Sure. No problem. It's relatively easy.

You need to create a mod that uses Lua code. If you are not familiar with that then check out the Civ 5 modding tutorials in this forum:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=394

If you have any questions about Civ 5 modding in general try asking them in the Civ 5 modding forum:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=393

The code I used to increase the initial visibility is located in the files StartGame\GTAS_StartGame.lua and StartGame\GTAS_InitPlayers.lua. It also uses code from the Lua\GTAS_PlotIterators.lua file. These folders\files are located in this mod's folder. You could combine the code from the first two files into a single file and call it something like InitVisibility.lua and then just include the third file. So your mod with consist of two files InitVisibility.lua and GTAS_PlotIterators.lua.

InitVisibility.lua would then look something like this.

include("GTAS_PlotIterators");

Code:
function OnDawnOfManShow(civID)
	print("\n");
	print(string.format("(Initial Visibility Mod)  -------------------------------------------------------------------------------");
	print("\n");

local visibilityRange = 5; -- Use a value of -1 to disable this feature. 

if visibilityRange ~= -1 then
		for i = 0, GameDefines.MAX_MAJOR_CIVS - 1, 1 do
			local player = Players[i];
			if player and player:IsEverAlive() and player:IsAlive() then
				local startPlot = player:GetStartingPlot();			
				if startPlot ~= nil then
					local teamID = player:GetTeam();
					for plot in GTAS_PlotAreaSpiralIterator(startPlot, 2, visibilityRange, SECTOR_NORTH, DIRECTION_CLOCKWISE, DIRECTION_OUTWARDS) do
						plot:SetRevealed(teamID, true);
					end
				end
			end		
		end
	end

Map.UpdateDeferredFog();

end
Events.SerialEventDawnOfManShow.Add(OnDawnOfManShow);

A couple of notes:

This code will get called every time a game is loaded so that means that the visibility will be updated each time that happens. In my mod I keep track of when the plots are made visible so that this code and a bunch of other code doesn't get called every time a game is loaded. Since this would add a lot of complexity and isn't really needed for this example I removed it.

I changed the visibility range to a local variable called visibilityRange.

I also removed some code dealing with teams and visibility because for the life of me I can't figure out why it's there. :crazyeye: If you think you might need it and are interested in looking at it. It's located in the StartGame\GTAS_InitPlayers.lua file in the IncreaseVisibility function.

I didn't actually test the code I created above so there's a chance that I might have missed something.

Wow. This was a quick and complete reply! Thank you very much.

I was rewriting mods for Witcher 2 and State of Decay to suit my purpose, so nothing big, but I'll gladly face the Civ 5 modding challenge - and with your help it actually seems doable.

Just one final question - you mentioned that "This code will get called every time a game is loaded so that means that the visibility will be updated each time that happens."
Does it mean that the visibility of 5 fields will be re-enabled every time I load a saved game, and if so - will it happen for all the units, or cities, or borders?

Thanks

The visibility is only set for the plots around each player's starting location. In this case a 5 plot radius. No big deal other than it takes a little time. I also wanted you to be aware of how it works in case you run in to any problems with other mods.

I just noticed a mistake in the code above!

if MapData.startingVisibility ~= -1 then

should be

if visibilityRange ~= -1 then

I changed it.

Well, it seemed really easy, but it didn't work.

I have created a mod with ModBuddy that includes:
- the unchanged GTAS_PlotIterators.lua (I assume this is responsible for the calculations of the visibility fields, and shouldn't be touched)
- the second lua file consisting of the line: include("GTAS_PlotIterators"); and below the code you proposed (changing visibilityRange to 4, as 5 seemed to much)
- mod info with the properties of the mod
and clicked build.

Unfortunately when I played the game, nothing happened. I have checked the code vs both GTAS_StartGame.lua and GTAS_InitPlayers.lua and it all looks as it should, so I I have no clue what might have gone wrong.

After a few hours of trying to amend some things I thought might help, nothing helped, most probably due to my non existing knowledge of coding.

I have implemented a simpler workaround - added a one off starting settler (borrowed the idea from a different mod) with free promotion:
<PromotionType>PROMOTION_AIR_RECON</PromotionType>
that gives me 6 tiles visibility, including visibility over hills and mountains, which is key. It is annoying as hell, as I cannot modify the 6 tiles and it's not exactly what I wanted to do, but at least it's something.

Nevertheless - thank you for your time and encouraging to modding.
If you would have an idea on what went wrong though, I wouldn't mind hearing it :)

Welcome to the wonderful world of Civ 5 modding. :lol:

If there is an error somewhere in the Lua code then the mod would stop working and generate a Lua error. If this happened you can find it by enabling Lua error tracking in an .ini file, running the game with the mod, then looking at the Lua error log file. It's been awhile since I've done any of that so I can't remember the location of these items off of the top of my head. If you are still interested it should be easy to find that info in this forum by searching for it.

When i conquering a city, the pop up message for choose if i want to puppet or annex city dont appear. That only happen when im using this mod

At the start, i thought that was a bug from the game but i noticed that only happen with this mod

F6 and reload savegame workaround doesnt work

General Tso you are awesome. You make Civilization V worth playing. Yes I use the Community Balance patch without and many other mods but it all starts with yours. The ability to change resource placement and starting locations as well as giving the little extra visibility are things I can't live without. To this point I had to do some testing when I added a bunch of new mods to my collection. I found that Extra Victory Conditions, for me at least, caused a frozen crash at the Really Advanced setup window. It shows the frame of the window and the tabs but I have to close out the game. http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=528355 This is the mod I am very much hoping you can incorporate into your own. I check numerous mods and this crash only repeats with EVC. I really hope it can work but it not I will just skip the EVC. Thank you very much for this sanity saving mod. :)

Ingolenuru on Steam

Top Bottom