Ancient Armies

ronning

Warlord
Last edited:
From the screenshots it looks like the army is just the flag & whatever unit is in it is revealed? If so, that's a very interesting idea. Also, how have you implemented the way number of units is indicated on the flags? Doesn't it mar the flag design?

From the screenshots it looks like the army is just the flag & whatever unit is in it is revealed? If so, that's a very interesting idea. Also, how have you implemented the way number of units is indicated on the flags? Doesn't it mar the flag design?

That's correct. The flag appears and the unit which has joined the army. The "fority" being the exception. The strength of the army and number of units are displayed as normal. By the green bar adjacent to the army.

The Fortify is an "encampment " graphic. Generally matched to the era the army represents.

Thanks Ronning. They look great. How do you have civ specific army graphics? Is it just that great leaders have an upgrade chain like any other unique units?

I'm still working on the most effective way to get the AI to generate armies, and use them in the field. However...

Make the default army "unavailable" to all civs with a specific army available.

In ancient times I have a small wonder which allows army creation under "despotism."
Once that building is created, the civ specific army will be available to the civ.

For example. Briton army available under "despotism" ( small wonder " tribal council " )
Obsolete under "Monarchy" however the small wonder " hereditary tittle" becomes available with " Monarchy ." Another building which allows army creation.

When the era changes to medieval, the graphic on the Briton army changes to " Angle-Saxon. The " English Army becomes available with " Chivaly" and the Angle-Saxon army no longer is available.

English army changes with industrial era, and the new British empire army become available with Nationalism.

WWII armies become available with rubber and oil.

This doesn't change the leader generated army. I'm not aware of any tricks to change that unit. I use the "generic" army posted above as a replacement.

I'm thinking of a battle generated leader, and making it a smaller army, keeping the leader unit graphic. Holds two units. It wouldn't be difficult to put the leader unit on an army palette.

In that case, the only armies available would be armies built in the city.

Also have the option of buildings that are civ specific generating armies.

Attachments

• 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 2,467
Clan Council - Ancient under "Despotism"
Hereditary Title - "Monarchy"

Armies Available

Attachments

• hereditaryTitleLarge.jpg
    hereditaryTitleLarge.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 138
  • ClanCouncilLarge.jpg
    ClanCouncilLarge.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 145
Amazing additions :)

I did some research on ancient flags of the Norse (Viking) people. Here's what I found... (It's more like a banner, actually)
As I'm not certain of copyright issues, I'm restricted to present some usefull links:

The Raven banner
Some details. And a nice pic

Wiki

Top Bottom