News: GOTM140 Aztecs - Pre-game discussion

Più Freddo

From space, earth is blue
As it took me some time to finish GOTM139, I'm a bit late in creating GOTM140. Any wishes for this Emperor level Aztecs game?

Oops, is it already time to start? If you want to, I can create this one as well. I had already a couple of strange ideas I wanted to try in the next GOTM. (Although, on second thoughts, for an "open" victory condition, these ideas might not work out well, I better keep them for the next sponsored Con/Dom victory condition... :))

Oh, I just gave GOTM141/Celts/Regent/Conquest to greatbeyond...

Anyway, an unsponsored game is in effect a Con/Dom game, n'est-pas? Will you create this Mexican game?

Fine. Please mail the save to Alan as usual and post a starting post here. We'll ask Alan to move it to the front of the thread. The targeted release date is the 25th.

GOTM140 The Aztecs- Pre-game discussion

In game number 140 of the classic game of the month series you will rule as Montezuma over the Aztecs, who are militaristic and religious and start the game with the knowledge of Ceremonial Burial and Warrior Code.

This is an Emperor level game. and this month we are having an "open" victory condition. This means that you can win or lose by any way you like... The Aztecan unique unit is the Jaguar Warrior, a faster version of the basic warrior.

This game continues to use a modified form of the standard PTW scenario, and although no bugs have been reported in some time, it is possible that play testing has not been exhaustive. Any in-game event or behaviour that a player feels is unintended should be reported to the GOTM staff immediately.

Here is your start position.

Scope of the Game:

Civilization: The Aztecs
Difficulty: Emperor
Map size: standard 100 X 100
Map topology: Cylindrical Archipelago
Rivals: 7 pre-selected AIs
Barbarians: Restless
Required victory condition: No Requirement!
Submissions due by May 6th, 2015
PLEASE NOTE THE DATE.

25th is today. I don't have the start save yet.

Starting post moved to the top of the thread.

Spoiler :

It's not as easy as it sounds

Anyway, if that is sweet water, I'd be inclined to move W for better RCP. The risk is that the Plains tile NNW is a second food bonus.

I can't see the picture of the start position. Did the attachment get lost, when moving the thread?!

At the moment I don't have mail access from home, so I will attach the start save to this thread when I get home tonight. (Western European Timezone)

Hmm, I only see the broken link icon! And if I copy the complete address of the pic into another browser window, I get this message from civfanatics:

Lanzelot, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

I guess something did go wrong when Alan by hand moved your post to the head of the thread. I really had no idea there wasn't a simple tool available for this task or I wouldn't have asked. I can see the picture in the (now) first post, but I can't see the thumbnail which indicates that it is an attachment.

The location is:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=391687&stc=1&d=1427227493

which sure looks like an attachment.

Probably for some intricate reason you can't see it because you are the owner.

Sorry, it may be my fault. To move your post to the top I had to backdate it, and that involved making a copy of an older post of yours in the staff area, changing its content to your new post content, then moving the modified post back here and recycled the original. In the process, it's possible that you lost access to the image attachment.

Anyway, I have now copied the images into the GOTM server, where they belong, and linked to those copies. So all should work now?

The release page is online here, and you can download the save on that page. I've removed the copy in the previous post.

Not sure what to do here.

Firstly, could there be a 4-turner? I fail to see anything special behind the fog to the north, and the southern area just doesn't look promising to me.

Secondly, fresh or salt water? The 'pelago setup suggests it's all sea, but in this case i'm not even sure it would be possible to build a decent RCP ring. Maybe the area to the west is actually a lake, and in this case worker W to check it out is a worthwile move.

why worker west? i´d say simply click on the water tile...

1S, 1W or 1NW or seem like legit options to me right now.

t_x

I think, tR1cKy means that by moving the worker to the shore of the water, you would get a very good view of the surrounding scenery?! (Being able to see two tiles wide.)
But is it worth wasting a worker turn for that?!

Yes, i meant it that way.
One worker turn is well spent if it helps finding a stronger spot. I'm thinking about W-NW.
Of course, if that tile is sea then the whole point is moot. In that case i might as well make use of the old saying: if unsure, just settle in place.

Top Bottom