The City States of Greece

OOC: That was not my idea... My idea was for games that gave those of us waiting a way to earn Drachma as well as prestige before our character is born.

This completely unrelated idea generated entirely by the Archon is fine with me though. Based on my position in the list random chance slightly favors chronology for me.

Just a question on this, in your game Jehoshua, would everyone have to participate? For example, let's say that I'm the next one to come in, so I of course wouldn't join the games. Would the winner still get the top spot?

Everyone not currently in the game would I think have to compete to make it effective. The only exception is if we have an odd number of "not-in-game people" which would skew the tournament. In that case the first person on the list would skip the main competition and battle the winner with the same rules regarding losing applying.

That said if there are people who do not want to compete at all then I suppose as a sign of their cowardice they could have their top spot taken by the winner should people not want to force a universal comp between the "not-in-game players". Either way it doesn't really concern me, because 1) im in the game and 2) It doesn't concern me if their is a game or not, meaning the decision is up to the peasants people who arent in the game at the moment :p

Proles fighting to the death for our amusement? :popcorn:
How much do you want for the snack vending rights?

50g to cover half of the monetary component of the reward should do it ;)

Shouldn't we build a colusseum (Or however that's spelled) before doing this? :p

whats wrong with the town square? haven't you heard of street fighting? :p

That's not nearly as epic :p

:popcorn: RP :popcorn:

One day might as well be any other for the sun baked peasants of Athens. A worker corps has been organized and yet still the meagre food supplies of the city are not being worked.

People yearn for something to take their minds off off the grueling penury of their daily existence. Despite their lack of wealth or power or prestige or land, the people have many gifts. Some can run fast, others can jump great distances, some can throw a doru beyond expectations, others can split one arrow with another from their deadly bows, others compose great odes and poems to the gods and the Archon.

If only the hard working and long suffering peasants of Athens had something to take their minds off of the tedium and suffering of their daily lives. Something like a tournament.

Peasant 1: "The Archon sure has been raising a lot of taxes and I barely have food to put in my mouth."

Peasant 2: "If only some of the treasury could be used to do something for the people."

Peasant 3: "My grandfather spoke of games in which everyday greek citizens could perform in front of their fellow citizens for adulation and reward."

Alas, the Archon and the Argeopagus show no signs of listening to the desires or needs of the everyday plebs of Athens.

In the meantime, there are always the stories around the communal fires at night. Tonight the story is from the favorite tale the Aaronyssey. This portion of the story is about gods and their connection with nature.

Part VII: Of Neiredes and Selenea

Spoiler :

The sun continued to set. The evening shadows raced across the rising waters to the far bank, and then to the village beyond. The water was in its full flow, gurgling as it rushed from the lagoon into the ever widening river mouth. The purpose of the woodpile was now quite obvious. I was attached to it, to a central pole rising well above the pile of timbers all around. Aegea was still speaking: speaking of the evil of men, of a man’s certainty to bring destruction to any tribe, of man’s one essential function now fulfilled. There were echoes of agreement from some of the Amazons below, and quieter noises of disagreement from the Lesbians. “I am Aegea, worshipper of Selenea, alpha female of the Amazon tribe! Who dares to contradict me?” Silence descended upon the island. The sound of the making tide was amplified in my ears so that it resounded in the silence like a rushing river. Aegea stood, resplendent and in complete command. I closed my eyes, waiting for the order to light the fire, wondering how long it would take before the flames were lapping at my body.

Suddenly gasps emerged from the crowd below. My eyes opened once more. In the midst of the group of Lesbians, an elderly woman rose. Women around her begged her to sit back down, but she continued to rise, demanding the aid of those nearest to her. She was so affected by age that she could not stand fully straight, and she could walk forward only with the greatest care and the help of a stick. Aegea stood in disbelief as the elderly woman approached.

“You dare to challenge me?” Aegea demanded of the elderly woman.

More than a minute passed as the elderly woman slowly made her way to the wood pile. Finally, she stopped, turned into a position half facing Aegea and half facing the crowd, and stood up very nearly straight. “I do not wish to challenge Aegea, alpha female of the mighty Amazon tribe. You have taught us much about self-defense and weaponry, and although your way of ruling is severe, it is also fair and decent to the native women of this island.”

“Then why do you dare to stand before me old woman?”

“I stand here next to you to speak the truth. You condemn this man, as you condemn all men, as is the usual way of the Amazon. As the eldest of the Lesbians, I say to you that this is acceptable.” Murmering spread amongst the Amazons and the Lesbians at this. Why was this old woman wasting everyone’s time with such idle talk? “However,” continued the old woman “there is another master that must be obeyed.”

“Speak quickly old woman. This man must be sacrificed as the hallowed Selenea rises.”

“This man has been chosen by the Neiredes!” Louder murmuring followed the old woman’s statement, with constrained outbursts among both groups.

“He claims to have been in contact with the Neiredes. Why would you trust the poisonous words of a man? What evidence do we have to support his claims?” asked Aegea.

The old woman took a moment to allow the crowd to quiet before she replied: “What evidence indeed… Here tonight, on the very night we plan to sacrifice this man, we witness a tide that rises higher than any in recent memory.” For the first time people looked around and noticed that indeed, the tide had risen faster and higher than usual. Already most of the other islands and spits of land had disappeared, and still the tide continued to gurgle and make. “This tide that rises with unusual force coincides with the fullness of the hallowed moon. On this night both the Neiredes and your hallowed Selenea bless us. What greater sign do you need?” This statement was followed by many sounds of agreement from both the Lesbian and Amazon camps.

“Nonsense, you foolish old hag. Phoebe, bring me the torch.” As Aegea commanded, her able bodied lieutenant Phoebe stepped forward with a flaming torch. Here in my final moment I now learned the name of the woman who so heartlessly used me on that first day. Was she glowing in her complexion? Or was it merely the reflected glow of the torch in the final twilight of dusk. It seemed as if her belly was a bit fuller. Phoebe handed the torch to Aegea, who held it high above her head. “Honorable Selenea, please accept this sacrifice as a symbol of the undying loyalty of the Amazon to the goddess of the moon. Rise, oh Selenea and bless us with your soft and gentle glow”. At this Aegea threw the torch onto the pile of wood.

I didn’t have long now. A stiff breeze had picked up with the setting of the sun. It helped the wood to catch quickly, but it also prevented the flames from rising straight up. Soon enough however, the pile would be fully and properly ablaze, and no breeze would save me from the rising heat and flame. Over the crackling of the wood I could hear the voices of the women in the now fully darkened night. I could see the faces of the women in the shadows reflecting the flames below. Some of the women were not watching however, and their backs were turned. Although it was no longer possible to hear, the water was continuing to rise even now. Some of the women were being forced to stand and relocate to higher ground as the strange tide continued to make. The flames could be seen in the rising tide. It was beautiful. I thought to myself that it was a worthy last vision to have. I closed my eyes and waited for the inevitable pain to begin. Even now I could feel the heat building at my feet to an uncomfortable level.

Now smoke was around me making it difficult to breath. Flames were licking at my feet now, now moving away, my tortuous end was imminent. The sounds of the women were louder now. There were yells and cries. Just as well I thought, I hope they may enjoy this. Something about the sounds was not right however, and the pain I had prepared for had not arrived. In fact the heat was less, the light of the fire less… I opened my eyes to see water - water everywhere. Water rose around the ankles of the crowd, to their shins, to their knees. Water invaded the woodpile; dousing the flames, and carrying some of the hissing wood away beneath me.

Though the flames were doused, another glow remained; a ghostly glow of an eerie whitish green. Everywhere the water of the lagoon was mixing with that of the river, and the mixing caused bright phosphorescence that twisted and turned all around us. Some of the women were afraid of being washed away, but many dropped to their knees in praise and rapture.

The phosphorescent tendrils surrounded and intertwined amongst the women as the tide at long last reached the full. Here there was absolute silence. The water made no sound, the women no sound, as all were entranced by the phosphorescent fingers spiraling and undulating all around. This silent rapture lasted for several minutes, during which time Aegea herself climbed what remained of my woodpile to untie the knots that bound me. As she released the final knot that bound my hands the great full goddess Selenea broke the horizon, larger than I had ever seen her before. Side by side Aegea and I watched Selenea born full from the edge of the sea. The phosphorescent tendrils retreated, slowly at first, then faster and faster with each passing minute. The full moon rose higher and higher above the sea as the sea itself fell lower and lower. The silence gave way to a whisper, and then a gurgle as the incredible tide ebbed more and more.

Women were crying now. Voices could be heard singing prayers to the Neiredes such as: all praise be to the Neiriedes - daughters of the father ocean - granddaughters of mother earth - loyal consorts of Poseidon - protectors of the island of Lesbos . Other prayers were to the moon goddess: all praise to Selenea - giver of nightly light - daughter of the Titans - protector of the Amazons.

It appeared that I was safe once more… For now anyway.

As always, previous chapters of the Aaronyssey can be found in the library of the former house Fontismenos:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/group.php?do=discuss&group=&discussionid=4897

Let it be known, I think this idea is one of the worst things I've ever heard. It's a way to randomly punish or reward people who have not played yet.

how can you support this? How about you just "RP" some tournaments or something, but why support delaying someone's arrival for the sake of a story you can make anyways.

ooc: because

-

a) I aint going to fork out 100g or any reward for a tournament which is just RP

b) because I aint going to be forking out 100g if there is no risk for the participants involved (ergo chance of being dropped down the line in accord with the chance to gain top spot).

c) because I am not going to give out money for future players unless I get something out of it, namely amusement (the random punish/reward factor.)

-

Furthermore I gain even more if you reject the tournament than if you accede to it, because if you lot reject it because you don't my sadistic tournee, I get to keep the very beneficial to me and my CFC friends current set up and keep my money too boot. While if you accept I get to watch you fight each other :D while even in an unfavourable tournament outcome (say Christos wins) I don't really lose that much, just a 100g and perhaps more annoying people coming in earlier. Indeed the reality is that no matter the situation I win, its just that if you reject the tournament I win more. The only positive for you if you choose to accept the tournee there is a slight positive chance that you may come in earlier and get a stack of gold to boot.

OOC: Aaronius, it's not possible to split an arrow with another unless you're either very close or use some special fragile material for the arrows :p Mythbusters busted that myth! :p

OOC: Your right Magnive, and thats not his only factual error.

I haven't raised any taxes at all in my entire time ruling Athens for example. The last thing I did with taxes was abolish a slew of Tambiens ones leaving only the 10% security tax. Although of course that can be changed as soon as he enters the game if he wants. How about a "Special Tax" where Aaronius and his heirs must pay a 50% income tax for the privelege of residing in Athens? :p

OOC: I would also like to know which games that 3rd peasant was referring to

OOC: Aaronius, it's not possible to split an arrow with another unless you're either very close or use some special fragile material for the arrows :p Mythbusters busted that myth! :p

OOC: You should have to watch Robin Hood Prince of Thieves ten times as punishment for your failure of imagination... :splat:

Besides, where the Mythbusters using ancient Athenian arrows from within the CiV Matrix?

Anyway, it sounds like the mighty Archon has no interest in doing anything nice for us poor miserable plebs, so I won't bring it up again. :deadhorse:

ooc:

In regards to the :king: the following applies.

-

plebs:whipped: :bowdown:

nobles :bowdown: :bowdown:.

OOC: Your right Magnive, and thats not his only factual error.

I haven't raised any taxes at all in my entire time ruling Athens for example. The last thing I did with taxes was abolish a slew of Tambiens ones leaving only the 10% security tax. Although of course that can be changed as soon as he enters the game if he wants. How about a "Special Tax" where Aaronius and his heirs must pay a 50% income tax for the privelege of residing in Athens? :p

OOC: You haven't raised taxes, true. Your taxes are lower than the original rate, true. You probably spend some money keeping the non-player citizen groups happy as well b/c the Diety dot80 reports indicate as much. However, the city coffers are full, and you do nothing for the players that are among the impoverished masses. That is what my statement refers to.

But its fine. The Olympic Games idea was just that, an idea. I thought it could really jazz up the participation level in this very slow moving game thread. It would incentivize RP among those players not yet born, and give us some small money and prestige to start our character lives with, which is logical considering a rise into the nobility. The amount of money you would be giving away would be trivial compared to your royal coffers, and it might have sewed good will among your fellow players. You could have asked us to perform great deeds or compose great odes and poems in the honor of your household, which would give you something no amount of wealth or power ever can; immortality.

However, you clearly don't like the idea and you are the Archon. Sorry for disturbing you and there will be no need for a special tax thank you very much :bowdown:

Edit: Just saw that the Archon's post from while I was typing :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Aarnius, what about not wasting the gold of the empire on silly stuff like gladiator battles while it could be used to improve our city?

ooc: hmm poems and epics in to my glory and honour..,,, Well if multiple people were willing to do that I may deign it fit to grant a minor gift when the best poet emerges into the game....

-

Anyway As to doing nothing for the players in the impoverished masses in general, why would I do that considering that almost everyone sitting there is a likely opponent to my glorious reign, and considering that giving them money just gives the winner the means to immediately start poking around MY establishment. Not to mention there is the city to look after. I mean in regards to people there's Christos who is almost certain to be formenting trouble, and then there is Tambien who has an axe to grind with me since I killed off his entire line, and dirk and yourself are not the most friendly of folk to my reign and you are a goddam liberal too boot!

But as I said, I may give a small reward to a person who provides a suitable poem or hagiography expounding the glory of House Megakyrios or the reigning Archon :p I like hagiography as much as the nect monarch and so for that I would be willing to give some reward. Although it would be much less than a fight to the death due to the loss of the amusement factor.

Aarnius, what about not wasting the gold of the empire on silly stuff like gladiator battles while it could be used to improve our city?

OOC: Good question. To be clear, I am talking about Drachma, the RP gold. The in game CiV gold will be spent to try to Advance the Greek Civilization.... I hope.

Can you think of a way that the city Drachma could be spent to improve the city?

I thought the Olympics could possibly improve Athens' CULTURE or perhaps RENOWN. However, I would love to know if the city Drachma could be used to improve the city in other ways. Can we build RP buildings as an alternative to boost the various city metrics, or are the RP city metrics entirely determined from in game ones? I have no idea how this part of the game works...

I looked at the kinds of actions and skills that we players can purchase with our Drachma. Obviously the players in the game have spent Drachma killing each other and their families, and hiring bodyguards and developing skills and whatnot. But it isn't so clear to me what a city can do with public Drachma to advance the city. Do you know what I mean?

It seems that our Archon has interpreted the rules such that the city Drachma are for him to do whatever he wants for his character(s), or to keep the non-player city masses and groups satisfied. No offense almighty Archon :bowdown:

Top Bottom