Dragon Age III: Inquisition

Did you use the Tactical View combat mode? I'm really enjoying the way combat in Origins works and am considering purchasing Inquisition, but I've read mixed information elsewhere about whether it was good, especially in the types of quests and the combat system.

I really only used it for the dragon fights as they can be a little tough. And one fight in an elven ruin (in the Northern part of Orlais).

They are different games, I don't know what else to say. Inquisition is more action orientated with some rpg flavor thrown in. It's not nearly the tactical game that Origins was. But I should note I played on normal difficulty. You almost certainly will need more tactics on harder difficulties. But I'm not sure that appeals to me. Tactics mode in this game isn't nearly as useful or easy to use as Origins (mainly because of no queue and weird camera angles).

That and the limited skill/spell selection take away from the tactical part of the game. It's a fun game, and I do recommend it, but not for tactical appeal. I've given up hope they'll make anything like Origins again.

Can't understand how anyone can say the gameplay is good - it's the worst thing in the entire game, along the UI.
The tactical cam is unusable, the controls are atrocious, the responsiveness is terrible, characters shuffling constantly makes playing anything mêlée a pain, the requirement to keep R or left mouse button constantly pressed to do auto-attacks is 'tarded and the you character attacks blindly in the air when you click even if no enemy is in range, combined with how you can't move while doing the attack animation, is annoying beyond belief.

So gameplay, good ? No, REALLY not. I'm flaggerblasted that anyone can endure it without cringing, even more that someone can say it's the strong point of the game 0_o
Did you use the Tactical View combat mode? I'm really enjoying the way combat in Origins works and am considering purchasing Inquisition, but I've read mixed information elsewhere about whether it was good, especially in the types of quests and the combat system.
Tactical mode is basically unusable for now. The camera is FAR too close to the ground, and any ceiling makes it even closer (I'm taking about "20 cm above character's head" here, without exageration), there is so many pointless special effects you can't see what's happening half of the time, you're auto-centered on a character each time you select it, you can't select more than one char at the same time (combine the previous points and imagine how fun it is to order your whole group to go to a particular location far away...).

Also, if you play a mêlée character, the hitbox vs monster model means that in taccam mode, many abilities requires several seconds with the character shuffling before being able to finally launch it - forget all about being able to respond on the spot.

I didn't find playing melee that much of a pain. Though I will admit my party members did sometimes get in my way. Moving around the battlefield is a necessity. This isn't a MMO where you can just stand in one place the entire fight. Clicking to swing I didn't find as annoying as I thought I would. I usually had enough stamina to use many of my abilities. I only did regular attacks enough to get some stamina back. I found slamming people with my 2 handed sword to be quite satisfying. Although I suppose having a slower 2 handed sword or axe requires less clicks, I certainly didn't hold down my mouse button.

Tactical camera, yeah it's annoying you can't move all 4 people at once. Very annoying. Especially with dragons shooting fireballs at you. I only used it during dragon fights, and a couple other instances.

Gameplay really is the strong point in this game. It certainly isn't role playing, which is almost non existent. I suppose the story is appealing. Combat certainly is more fun than games such as Skyrim. For those who haven't played this game, don't expect Origins, expect more of a mix of Witcher 2 and Skyrim.

Another gripe I didn't put in my review is replayability. I tried playing another game as a mage on hard difficulty. Not much different between normal and hard difficulty other than battles lasting longer. They aren't more difficult. I'd rather have more challenging battles, not longer battles. Especially dragon battles. Although I'd imagine dragon battles on higher difficulties would be challenging, but I think they'd be more annoying than challenging. Being knocked down and stunned most of the time (and thus unable to attack or do anything) isn't my idea of fun. I see no reason for a battle to last 45 + minutes.

I'm done playing the game for now. It doesn't have the replayability of Origins. That game I played through 3 times consecutively (1 of each class). And revisited several more times over the subsequent years. I played my mage until part way through the Hinterlands. Exploring the Hinterlands is just too familiar, and I still remember all the little pathways and canyons. I'll take a long break before revisiting this game. Another gripe about playing as a mage is the poor AI of the tanks. I didn't notice it when I was a pretty tough 2 handed warrior. But as a squishy mage, I pull too much aggro. Some of that may be my fault for being impatient and not allowing Cassandra to engage enemies first. But often she uses her war cry ability with no one around. Sigh. To be fair, Origins was like this too, and I often manually used the taunt ability in Origins. I seemed to be a more patient player in Origins.

Also disappointed playing as a female Qunari mage has had no effect on people I talk to. Having a female Qunari mage is a pretty huge contradiction of their society. Yes I know I'm Tal-Vashoth, but you'd think this would have some effect on people's reactions to me.

edit: I also didn't rate multiplayer. I don't honestly see myself playing multiplayer unless I'm bored. Maybe one day I'll try it, but not any time soon.

Some people have complained it has too many fetch quests, but that's because they are staying in the hinterlands and trying to do every quest in that area. You can spend over 10 hrs wandering in that one area if you doing the sidequests.
Just get your horse and build up enough power to move on with the story missions then get out.

I just picked up the game on Xbone, and I've been in the Hinterlands for hours, which is getting a little tedious. I think I'll take your advice and hurry on out of here, because the game seems quite fun and I don't want to get burned out in the first area of the game.

Does anyone else find themselves constantly wanting to re-roll their character or re-do the character creator? This happens to me in every RPG ever, butI usually don't have enough time to do more than a single playthrough. :hammer2:

Is anyone getting random crashes? I only played for about 45 mins and had three drops to desktop with no error messages. I've got amd r9 270, downloaded latest drivers after the final crash but haven't tried them yet.

I heard this used to be a common issue if your graphics were set to high but I used the auto settings and I was getting 50-60 fps constantly. Also read some stuff about mantle not working but I don't even know what that is. Under graphics settings it said my only available api was directx 11.

Still not far in at all, crashes all fixed, and found a good mix of settings for 50+ fps.

I switched over to the xbox controller and like it a bit more than mouse and keyboard. Removing click to move places and forcing you to hold mouse button to attack was a poor choice for keyboards imo, too much button mashing and it gets uncomfortable.

Alas there doesn't seem to be a way to zoom the camera out more with gamepad which seems really stupid. I guess I can deal though. Anyone else using gamepad on pc?

Top Bottom