Hearthstone!

I mean, if there are a significant number of cards you haven't seen, you're probably not very good (due to inexperience). :p

Hunter has had periods of absolute dominance using a deck that was pretty cheap. Zoo (also cheap) has been a very strong deck for a long time. Shaman midrange decks generally aren't too expensive. Skill is a lot more important than having legendaries. "I lost because the other person has better cards" is more of an excuse than anything. Trump and others have hit legend with several classes using free-to-play decks.

It can definitely be a factor, but it's not as important as skill. Blaming losses on lack of rares/epics/legendaries hinders you from realizing mistakes and misplays you made due to lack of skill. It takes time to get good at the game.

On the flip side, having good cards doesn't mean you'll automatically start having success. You can play a fully fleshed-out control warrior deck and still be terrible.
Deck composition is still fairly relevant, and being able to recognize if and how your deck can substantially respond to the problems posed by other decks is a skill factor. Card quality is a genuine reason for one arena deck to lose to another, especially as prior wins weed out less-skilled play (although the mage's status as a lightning rod for rage is excessive).

Deck composition is still fairly relevant, and being able to recognize if and how your deck can substantially respond to the problems posed by other decks is a skill factor. Card quality is a genuine reason for one arena deck to lose to another, especially as prior wins weed out less-skilled play (although the mage's status as a lightning rod for rage is excessive).
Um, yeah? I never said anything to the contrary. I even pointed out in the very first sentences that you can make a competitive deck even with a small collection.

Yeah, I have to admit - the starting hand and early card draw infuriates me sometimes.
I play priest, a class where that problem is quite pronounced. I have lost games against TERRIBLE players because I had all the non-useful situational cards in my hand. Lately the problem has become so bad that I actually switched to my control warrior deck because I find it is much more consistent.
:mad:

I make sure to have a lot of 0, 1,2, and 3 mana cards in my decks, so that my opening hand will be more likely to contain cards, especially minions, that i can play in the first couple rounds. It seems to work very wel for me, when I bundle them properly with taunt, spell, and buffing cards.

I'm up to 550 gold now.. Almost there for the next .. tier.. or whatever it is. I should just play arena with all that gold or get card for it.. but... meh

As a control priest your choise for cost 1 & 2 minions is pretty limited. You have to rely heavily on combo cards, so there is little you can do to help early game randomness.

There are a lot of 1,2,3,etc. common cards that you can include in your deck, but you're right that if you're trying to specialize in some way (I think that's what you're saying?) then it might be a lot tougher. But that's a sacrifice you have to make if you want to specialize in some specific way that gets in your way of using those cards.

I was watching my roommate play yesterday and his opponent was down to a couple health.. and then he played a card where his hero was replaced with another hero.. a new class. Some devil type looking guy.. With a 2 mana "create 6/6 minion" hero power.

So.. .. overpowered..

It's cards like that that ruin the game for me.

I've already stopped playing. The amount of research you need to do plus time invested to build a good deck is too much for me when the game isn't really that engaging. I feel like I'm playing chess on my phone basically. I find practicing dota2 a lot more fun and engaging.

I was watching my roommate play yesterday and his opponent was down to a couple health.. and then he played a card where his hero was replaced with another hero.. a new class. Some devil type looking guy.. With a 2 mana "create 6/6 minion" hero power.

So.. .. overpowered..

It's cards like that that ruin the game for me.
YOU FACE JARAXXUS, EREDAR LORD OF THE BURNING LEGION!

Is that card overpowered? No. It is the Warlock class legendary - and not even all that great when compared to other ones.

Against many aggro decks you won't even get to turn 9 to play it. If you are above 15 HP you effectively damage yourself by playing the card. If you are at low HP and behind (in regards to cards and/or board control) Jaraxxus might only buy you a turn or two - and if you play against a class with a burst damage finisher not even that.

And lastely, many warlocks these days run 1 copy of "Soul Pact" that allows you to destroy a demon to gain HP - including an enemy Jaraxxus, instantly killing the enemy if he played him to replace his hero. ;)

He was one of my first legendaries and so far I have only used him sucessfully in a dozen games or so. He wasn't even viable before the Naxx release because the metagame was way too fast for him.

Jaraxxus does very little the turn he is played. His high mana cost means that the vast majority of the time playing him is the only thing you do that turn, and also that he can be a dead card clogging up your hand. These all combine to make Jaraxxus a very slow card that is basically unplayable in an aggro meta. Additionally, he makes it nearly impossible to play molten giants, which are a staple of any deck which would run Jaraxxus.

It's a situational card than can be powerful, but often is useless. As someone who has played a handlock deck with Jaraxxus, for every game he has a huge effect like warpus described, there are ten games where he's not very useful.

YOU FACE JARAXXUS, EREDAR LORD OF THE BURNING LEGION!

Is that card overpowered? No. It is the Warlock class legendary - and not even all that great when compared to other ones.

Good to know, when I first saw him played he seemed incredibly overpowered.

I've been going through 1 quest a day and have so far unlocked the next tier.. and beaten the 1st boss. So I pretty much play this game every day.

One thing that's annoying me about the game now is that.. well.. it's clear that a lot of players, once they reach a certain level, just look up decks online and build those. So in order to compete with those people, you kinda have to follow suit.. but I don't really want to - a big part of enjoyment I get out of this game is building my own decks and figuring out combos.

So I play casual play mode most of the time, and get to level 20 in ranked mode every season, in order to get the card backs..

I think I'm too much of a casual gamer for this game, but hey - I didn't pay anything for it, and i'm still playing. All my complaints aside, that's pretty impressive.

One thing that really helps for casual players (and can still be fun) is watching YouTube videos from other Hearthstone players. I like Trump quite a lot - he is very focused on "value" plays to get an advantage (instead of relying on RNG or good draws) and often explains his plays, making it a bit more clear for beginners what some DO and DON'Ts are.

He also had a few F2P series where he got to legend just by playing ranked without investing any money - again a great to watch to see why certain cards are good and others are not.

He also has done a few videos where he tests your ability to draft in arena which are pretty good.

Jaraxxus does very little the turn he is played. His high mana cost means that the vast majority of the time playing him is the only thing you do that turn, and also that he can be a dead card clogging up your hand. These all combine to make Jaraxxus a very slow card that is basically unplayable in an aggro meta. Additionally, he makes it nearly impossible to play molten giants, which are a staple of any deck which would run Jaraxxus.

It's a situational card than can be powerful, but often is useless. As someone who has played a handlock deck with Jaraxxus, for every game he has a huge effect like warpus described, there are ten games where he's not very useful.

A similar story applies to the Priest's mind control card, even though it's essentially assassinate and a summon rolled into one card. It's already hard enough surviving aggro without 2 mind controls occupying space in your hand until turn 9*/10 (barring some unusual visions and thoughtsteals, or your opponent running millhouse for who knows what reason).

Well I've picked up HS again after nearly 2 years off and I'm having a moderate amount of fun with it. My original complaint of excessive waiting still applies, but oh well.

The new player experience is actually pretty fun (until you hit pvp, then browse the thread above for advice), so it's at least worth checking out.

Well, I'll give them that: Thanks to the free C'Thun, players with a limited collection can finally play something other than aggro decks.

Although the meta decks are still as broken and annoying as ever. :p

Top Bottom