Barb Camp Bug 3.3.4

Same here, I would much rather see something done to improve the AI's ability to see camps further away and go out to them rather than just put a band aide on the issue and auto clear all camps in their remote vicinity giving them loads of free gold and taking away much of the opportunities from the human player of being to go out and find camps either for gold, CIV UA's, or to improve relation with nearby City-States. The auto-clearing system just feels too much like a cheat rather than a fix and makes having barbarians at all in the game just annoying since you're constantly having to protect your tile improvements from barbs but once you kill those barbs you can't find their camp to get a reward for it since the camp has usually already been cleared.

If giving the AI vision of the camps through the honor opener gives the AI the impetus to start clearing camps then I'm sure that would be considered a better solution then autoclearing it. However, we were not sure what conditions were required for the AI clear to clear camps at that time the code was released and we still don't have definite proof of that behavior either.

If you would like to test whether or not the honor opening causes the AI to clear camps more often then follow my instructions here on how to disable the auto clearing code and then add the following code to line 21 of CEP_Start.sql:

PHP:
UPDATE Policies
SET AlwaysSeeBarbCamps = 'true';

This code will give every policy the ability to reveal camps and thus giving the AI the ability to see camps no matter what policy they choose. If you see the AI actively clearing camps after this change then let us know. Otherwise, solving this problem may not be as easy as giving the AI vision of the camps after all.

After a quick (60-turn) test applying stackpointer's fix in 2 test games the results have been inconsistent. Some civs attack the camps, others just sit there.

Terrain may play a factor - civs with lots of land around them attacked camps. Civs that were near bottlenecks or a peninsula just hung out and admired the scenery while barbarians ran amok.

They do seem to attack camps more often than before, but it's nothing like in GEM, where they exterminated barbarian armies with ruthless efficiency.

Granted, this first test wasn't exactly comprehensive, but it's a start.

They do seem to attack camps more often than before, but it's nothing like in GEM, where they exterminated barbarian armies with ruthless efficiency.
Thanks for testing. But I think this is the most important piece: something has changed to mess up the AI, and it's not just an issue of vision range.

With the improvement to the AI's ability to clear camps in the latest patch, it might be prudent to retire the code in CEAI_Events.lua that helps the AI deal with them.

That's a good point. Have you done any tests in your own copy?
I'll give it a try with mine and let Thal know also.

Its good to have someone like yourself to keep track of those important things.
On behalf of everyone that uses this mod, thanks for work.

I ran a couple runs with the code disabled and one firetuner auto-run. From what I can see with the tuner, the AI no longer struggles with barbarians as it used to and aggressively attacks barbarian encampments. No AIs being overrun by barbarians early on and hardly any captured civilians. Any civilians captured were also recaptured within 2-4 turns. I would say that the AI has the barbarian situation well in hand.

Top Bottom