Scientests

Maxii

Chieftain
I was trying out the latest CEG version with the new Firaxis patch a couple of days ago. I was Babylon, researched writing and got 2, not 1 Scientist upon completion. Whether accurate or not, I concluded the mod needed a walk through to update it to work with the latest Firaxis patch.

Also, am I mistaken, or does Gezebos' City State Diplomacy mod no longer work with CEG?

That bug is already known about and was fixed by ExpiredReign. It was due to the vanilla game giving a free great scientist and the mod giving one too. It was uploaded to Github. Thal just has to come out with a new version of the mod for the change to be distributed to everyone.

If you want to change it for yourself you can. Just go to the Leaders folder, find the Data file (something like CEL_DATA.xml). Find the Babylon leader info. Delete the code giving a free great scientist (or comment it out if you want).

2nd part of your question...

I've tried that mod out too and I couldn't get it to work with CEG. I really dislike the city state mechanics of the vanilla game of just buying up city states, so I gave that mod a try. Wouldn't work with CEG unfortunately.

It looks like our 'bug' fix is actually a forgotten change that is to be examined in conjunction with the reduction in the Great Scientist rate change that is discussed here.

Taken together, the Babylonian science bonus is just a change of format, rather than reduction or improvement.

Or at least that is the theory.

It was 2 places in the code. I fixed it again today. There's a Pull Request up now for it.

It was 2 places in the code. I fixed it again today. There's a Pull Request up now for it.

The point now is, I believe the 'fix' isn't really a 'fix' as it is reverting an earlier mod change, the purpose for it, somehow got lost in all the edits.

The original mod change reduced the GS modifier rate and gave an extra GS upon reaching Writing.

By removing the extra GS we are now making the Babylonians weaker because of the reduced GS modifier rate.

This all comes down to massive changes with limited documentation. As I made most of the original changes, I'll put my hand up as the one responsible for this confusion. My only excuse is I was learning as I go.:mischief:

Wait, so they're supposed to get two scientists after researching writing?

I think so. The Leaders.xls spreadsheet (which has been renamed a couple of times, and moved into the CAT mod) seems to show this as the desired change.

I can't remember the actual discussion, or the result of any discussions apart from that document.

Surely though, if this is wrong we should change it and the GS rate modifier together.

I can tell you for sure, that the appearance of 2 scientists was the first time I've ever seen that, and I've been playing Thal's mod for many years now.

On the second subject, I told Gazebo (CSD) about both my and your observations that CEG doesn't work with CSD and he said he would contact Thal as they have had a continuing, shared objective of keeping these mods compatible.

Any word on when we will get a post-Firaxis patch update to the mod? Alternatively, is a .civ5mod file download available from git with the fixes you have in so far? I think it is over a month now since the patch came out.

Top Bottom