News: TSG83 Announcement

I think my first move would be to move the two southern pikes to the 2 tundra hills and move the northern pike to the forest hill next to the wheat to get a better view of the area. Probably settle the capital on the riverside hill or possibly the plains so I can chop and mine the hill if it's coastal and the 2nd city on the hill the northern pike goes to.

I have just started a test game with these settings. Some things I noticed:

1) You start with 300 culture points, that means you can pick four policies right away. I wonder which are the smartest. Still tradition, it seems to me.
2) Each city starts with a granary, a shrine and a monument. A coastal city gets a lighthouse too. So there is a bonus for coastal cities.
3) I have not found any ancient ruins.

Units and buildings are 45% cheaper too. Except settlers, which are 1.5 times more expensive. Tradition may not be the strongest choice if you want to expand beyond 2 cities.

Units and buildings are 45% cheaper too. Except settlers, which are 1.5 times more expensive. Tradition may not be the strongest choice if you want to expand beyond 2 cities.

Yes, I changed my mind about Tradition. I played a new start with Liberty and that seemed to make more sense. I noticed that City States are hard to ally, so starting with Patronage may also be a good idea.

Another observation: You can not build World Wonders from eras before the Renaissance. So think again when your first settler find a nice Petra spot!

I'm not convinced about Liberty. By the time you hit Industrial it will take 1 or 2 turns to make a settler. You can easily get the 750g before that. The starting settler on the river is an awesome city site for Tradition. This game will be about finding the CS and making enough cash to buy them all.

ack... I am not used to anything but ancient starts... I suppose the strategy needs a major overhaul...

ack... I am not used to anything but ancient starts... I suppose the strategy needs a major overhaul...

me neither, but probably the same general approaches will apply. I'm guessing:
1. focus first on growth.
2. scouting. but build scouts? not sure, the barbs are spawning crossbows! maybe knights to scout?
3. Wonders? high level means wonders are risky. looks like you can get one though if you really want it - just don't leave it too long. seems like Notre Dame before 220 is safe
4. focus on Science - but how long before you can overtake the AI? don't know

I just beat one, took me about six tries to learn what to do. The start wasn't as good as what we are shown, but it was safe from attack. It think it will depend on the neighboring civs whether or not the whole thing goes smooth.

So, play peacefully with Freedom or Cossacks and Cannons to enter the Atomic Era with only 1 other civ? I guess I'll decide after scouting the map.

2. scouting. but build scouts? not sure, the barbs are spawning crossbows! maybe knights to scout?
3. Wonders? high level means wonders are risky. looks like you can get one though if you really want it - just don't leave it too long. seems like Notre Dame before 220 is safe

Does the Ai start with additional techs in an advanced start? I didn't try spying in my test game, just stuck my spy in the first mercantile CS I found.

Moderator Action: Please use the edit button instead of stacking several posts in a row. Thanks.

I just want to say thank you to staff. :goodjob: I never played this. I tried two starts of this settings during the weekend - and I really ejoyed it very much.
Thank you.:D

Think my plan is:
1. Scouting. Astronomy asap. And scout with caravels. Pikemen can scout locally in the
meantime
2. Pp to start the diplomacy clock.
3. Then growth + science. Try and settle mountains etc.

Money more important as buildings are cheaper so night focus on markets etc earlier.
Still not sure about policies.
Free settler good
Maybe 20% patronage policy would work with my quick exploration plan...

What's the minimum finish time after world congress foundation?
Is it 30+2+25+2+2+10?

Diplomacy VC ? Likely fastest time would be conquering all but 1 opponent to win in atomic rather than information era. Not OCC ? Can't raze capitals, so we will have loads of cities: no need for settlers or liberty. Continents ? Need a coastal city with true sea access, and iron for frigates. Renaissance Era start ? Great, never tried before ! How much cash do we start with, how expensive are units, how many units can we buy to jump start the domination ahem diplomatic world tour ?

On loading the saved game it appears to be Emperor level rather than Immortal as stated in the game details above.

2. Pp to start the diplomacy clock.
Why is it important to start the diplomacy clock?

What's the minimum finish time after world congress foundation?
Is it 30+2+25+2+2+10?

I would like to know too! As in the previous GOTM with a diplomatic victory I really lack information on how the world congress and UN work exactly. Could there be a guide that explains all the details somewhere?

I'm being very simplistic i'm sure, but the sooner you start the clock, the quicker your minimum finish time is? So I'm aiming to start the clock then try and research to info age within 2 voting cycles and pick up enough votes on the way.

On loading the saved game it appears to be Emperor level rather than Immortal as stated in the game details above.
Ooops, just checked and you are correct. Sorry for the mistake, meant it to be Immortal. :blush:

edit - this game is at Emperor difficulty.

Yes, I changed my mind about Tradition. I played a new start with Liberty and that seemed to make more sense. I noticed that City States are hard to ally, so starting with Patronage may also be a good idea.

Another observation: You can not build World Wonders from eras before the Renaissance. So think again when your first settler find a nice Petra spot!

Not true. Medieval wonders are avaible
And no, ai dont have techs we dont from the start

I am going to try for a peaceful victory. Conquering could be faster but maybe also trickier.

I will roleplay an autocratic Russia, à la Putin v2

First Step > meet a civ
Step 2 > declare war
Step 3 > rince & repeat
Stop when Total civ = 2

Let's see if I can achieve that before the Atomic aera!

Top Bottom