New Civs - Confirmed Details

I admit, it's a tenuous arguement to make, but I haven't seen a really definitive link between the Dutch and anything called a Sea Dagger.

Maybe they actually meant the Geuzen, known in English as "Sea Beggars"?

From Wiki:

"Geuzen (French: Les Gueux, English: the Beggars) was a name assumed by the confederacy of Calvinist Dutch nobles and other malcontents, who from 1566 opposed Spanish rule in the Netherlands. The most successful group of them operated at sea, and so were called Watergeuzen (French: Gueux de mer, English: Sea Beggars). In the Eighty Years' War, the Capture of Brielle by the Watergeuzen in 1572 provided the first foothold on land for the rebels, who would conquer the northern Netherlands and establish an independent Dutch Republic. They can be considered either as privateers or pirates, depending on the circumstances or motivations."

They also fit better with William the Silent.

Maybe they actually meant the Geuzen, known in English as "Sea Beggars"?

From Wiki:

"Geuzen (French: Les Gueux, English: the Beggars) was a name assumed by the confederacy of Calvinist Dutch nobles and other malcontents, who from 1566 opposed Spanish rule in the Netherlands. The most successful group of them operated at sea, and so were called Watergeuzen (French: Gueux de mer, English: Sea Beggars). In the Eighty Years' War, the Capture of Brielle by the Watergeuzen in 1572 provided the first foothold on land for the rebels, who would conquer the northern Netherlands and establish an independent Dutch Republic. They can be considered either as privateers or pirates, depending on the circumstances or motivations."

They also fit better with William the Silent.

This actually makes sense. Although only Firaxis knows why this is a better name for the UU than for example "East Indiaman"

Edit: The more i think about it the less i like the idea of having a unit called "Sea Beggar"

Sea Beggars (in dutch "Watergeuzen" or more often just "Geuzen") are maybe what the german journalist probably mend.
The sea beggars were comprised of adventurers, pirates and patriots (= those fighting against the Spanish rule in the Dutch provinces). At sea they proved to be even more succesful than on land.
For several years their bases of operation included the ports of Emden (on the coast of the Dutch Province Friesland, nowadays in east Frisia in Germany), La Rochelle (on the coast of France) and Dover (on the coast of England). The Sea beggars attacked vessels of almost any nation as well as fishing villages and towns on the coast of the Dutch Provinces. On 10 July 1568 a Spanish fleet was attacked and defeated by the Sea beggars.
Willem van Oranje turned against the empire in the 1560s and helped organize the Dutch struggle for independance. In the last half of the 1560s he tried to form these Sea beggars into an effective and organized fighting force against Spain.
He issued letters of marque and the following orders:

The Sea beggars had to conform to the Articles of War
Each commander was to maintain a minister on board his ship
All prizes were to be divided and distributed by a prescribed rule
Command functions should be occupied by native Dutchmen unless expressly commissioned by the Prince Van Oranje
No persons were to be received on board, either as sailors or soldiers, save folk of good name and fame.

Despite these orders and the letters of marque many vessels of nations other than those of Spain were attacked by the Sea beggars. Even fishing-boats and merchant vessels of the Dutch Provinces were not safe from attack.

This sounds a lot more logical then the Sea Dagger, So I'm guessing it's the Sea Beggars that are ment.

That would not make too much sense either, as according to the wikipedia article the Dogger is a small fishing boat, the military version had only 4 cannons, which is half of that of a Sloop

It's better at least. There were coastal ships that were smaller than Sloops (more lake and river going, though). But it's still less than ideal.

ETA: If it's the Sea Beggar, I guess that settles that?

It's easy to speculate that the mercantile cities will each have a unique luxury, but that 'jewelery' is a placeholder. Tyre for instance was famous for its purple dye, of which it would make a lot of sense for them to be the only source. Likewise other historic merchant cities had special products found nowhere else...

For example Venice with some kind of Glassware as a unique luxury

I really don't think they're going to have articles published that mention placeholder luxuries. This is why I don't think each CS will have a unique luxury (the other option being that Tyre has a luxury it wasn't really known for).

my hypothesis is that Atilla's court is a barbarian city, formed from a barb camp that lasted too long. it could not show a capital icon because barb cities can be razed.

my hypothesis is that Atilla's court is a barbarian city, formed from a barb camp that lasted too long. it could not show a capital icon because barb cities can be razed.

It's the Hun capital, they have been confirmed and Attila is on the box art for G&K.

Attila the Hun (ca. 406–453 AD) was the last and most powerful king of the Huns. He reigned over what was then Europe's largest empire, from 434 until his death. His empire stretched from Central Europe to the Black Sea and from the Danube River to the Baltic. During his rule he was among the direst enemies of the Eastern and Western Roman Empires: he invaded the Balkans twice and encircled Constantinople in the second invasion. He marched through France as far as Orleans before being turned back at Chalons; and he drove the western emperor Valentinian III from his capital at Ravenna in 452. Though his empire died with him on the day of his marriage by choking on his own nosebleed, and he left no remarkable legacy, he has become a legendary figure in the history of Europe. In much of Western Europe, he is remembered as the epitome of cruelty and rapacity. In contrast, some histories lionize him as a great and noble king, and he plays major roles in three Norse sagas.

Attila is known in Western history and tradition as the grim "Scourge of God", and his name has become a byword for cruelty and barbarism. Some of this may arise from a conflation of his traits, in the popular imagination, with those perceived in later steppe warlords such as the Mongol Great Khan Genghis Khan and Tamerlane: all run together as cruel, clever, and sanguinary lovers of battle and pillage. The reality of his character may be more complex. The Huns of Attila's era had been mingling with Roman civilization for some time, largely through the Germanic foederati of the border—so that by the time of Theodosius's embassy in 448, Priscus could identify Hunnic, Gothic, and Latin as the three common languages of the horde. Priscus also recounts his meeting with an eastern Roman captive who had so fully assimilated into the Huns' way of life that he had no desire to return to his former country, and the Byzantine historian's description of Attila's humility and simplicity is unambiguous in its admiration.

Perhaps Scourge of God could be their UA, giving increased attack to cities with Religion?

Scourge of God didn't really have to do much with religion aside from Romans believing that God was punishing them by sending the Huns. Although Attila thought it was awesome and actually used it as a title. It might be a cool title for an ability, but it doesn't necessarily have to do with religion.

Scourge of God didn't really have to do much with religion aside from Romans believing that God was punishing them by sending the Huns. Although Attila thought it was awesome and actually used it as a title. It might be a cool title for an ability, but it doesn't necessarily have to do with religion.

Maybe make in a Pantheon belief that gives a combat bonus to any civ that has founded a religion. Sort of symbolizing Pagans vs. Organized Religion.

They'd probably sound cooler if they kept Geuzen, although, in Civ terms, that's a bit unorthodox.

I'm just hoping it was the article and not Firaxis that called them Sea Daggers.

Yeah, could be.
So the Dutch have a unit with the English translation of a French name, hmmm? :p

They'd probably sound cooler if they kept Geuzen, although, in Civ terms, that's a bit unorthodox.

I'm just hoping it was the article and not Firaxis that called them Sea Daggers.

I'm sure the Dutch translations will call them what they actually are.

and yeah, it's likely a reviewer 'hearing' the name and mixing up the B/D, which is a rather common phonetic issue wrt non-native language.

Top Bottom