Petition to get CIV5's Multiplayer Fixed

Diesel47

Chieftain
A few weeks ago I was sick of my civ multiplayer game freezing for the 20th time, in my rage I filed a complaint against 2k Games with the BBB (Better Business Bureau). To my surprise they took it seriously and sent me E-Mails trying provide support so I'd close the complaint.

5 failed multiplayer games later, I had an idea and made a petition that points out some of the major flaws of CIV5's multiplayer and asks that they be fixed.
If we can get enough signatures and BBB complaints (Really important), I think we can get 2k Attention and have them do something about the plethora of bugs in Civ's Multiplayer.

Here is the petition:
https://www.change.org/petitions/2k-games-fix-civilization-v-s-multiplayer-now

Make sure you read the bolded text, it tells you exactly how to do it.

Thanks guys.

Wow, this is an interesting approach. But yes, every business takes a BBB report very seriously. I suppose if they got enough reports they would either fix the game, completely shut down multiplayer or stop selling it all together. The first option is of course the most desirable but you have no idea what action they might take if they started to lose their AAA rating with the BBB.

AI also sucks quite bad. The fact that Ninakoru was apparently able to fix some bad AI bugs so quickly seems to indicate a lack of goodwill on behalf of Firaxis / 2K.
Be careful with this line of approach, though, 2k / Firaxis may simply decide it's no longer worth it to make civ type games for PC's. They did recently shut down Irrational Games Studio who made what seemed to be the very successful Bioshock series...

i agree with bc1's first statement. the lack of a friggin CHAT in the multiplayer lobby indicates that the devs dont give a flying about us multiplayers, and the really obvious game bugs / ai bugs not getting fixed despite being easily fixable by a 1st year programming student is just icing on the cake.

ill add my signature.

what should we type in the BBB site? i have no idea. is it the fact that civ5 MP crashes so often that makes a complaint reasonable?

I don't understand, yes there are some bugs and some stuff could be improved in multiplayer but I've played at least 10 games with 5 other people to completion without any major problems.

I don't understand, yes there are some bugs and some stuff could be improved in multiplayer but I've played at least 10 games with 5 other people to completion without any major problems.

Were those 10 people your friends with great pings and never left the game? Try playing a public game with leavers. Basically when some one leaves a game, it makes the game massively unstable to the point that it will eventually freeze up or will freeze up right when they leave. Often after some one leaves a game, it then starts going to load screens every few turns or freezes up immediately.

There are massive detrimental bugs in this game which cause it to freeze up for no reason when you are the host. I can't even host a game despite having 3 times the specs needed. It just randomly freezes if I am host.

It also freezes up for no reason at all with no one leaving. Just straight up, the turn never ends even though everyone ended their turn. That happens a lot too. The list of bugs that can ruin hours and hours of play is quite long.

No those 10 games were with strangers from the Nq steam group. Bad pings when US players joined (I'm in the EU), still they all worked fine. Yes we did have to reload a few times due to crashes, freezes and stuff but not more than say 6-10 per game (these game would run from 6 to 10 hours long). If anything the reloads provide opportunity to grab a snack or use the WC. I'm actually running on a year old MacBook Pro without a dedicated graphics and I can host games without issue so I don't see why you have a problem.

It could be that you are joining games in the lobby so you are finding players that leave the game when things don't go there way which causes the illusion of freeze or crash. Just join the Nq steam group if you want to get some good MP games.

I attempted to play 5 or 6 FFA's this weekend. Every single one of them, 100% of them ended in freezing up and being unplayable after some one left the game. So, yeah, multiplayer is pretty much unplayable at this point.

All of my skirmish teamer games were fine though. For some reason they are much more stable. I am not really sure why that is.

Playing with NQ people is not indicative of a pick up game. Those guys all play on a regular basis and don't quit games. Problems arise when playing with truly random people, some of which don't have the greatest of pings or machines. People who play the game regularly typically have connections and machines proven to be reliable with this game.

I think it's because you find random people in the Civ 5 lobby that simply leave the game when they make a mistake or don't have really nice land or miss a wonder. That's the problem. NQ group fixes that.

The problem is simply, without reloads the game crashes and is unplayable before the game is finished 90% of the time if someone quits or disconnects.

Yes please. Fix MP. It is unbeliable horrible currently. There is 2-3 sec. lag in any movent, game crashes randomly, joining game and setting one up takes very long time and messages in mp don't simply appear (looting ruins) or are badly visible.

Also civ5 has one of worst AI I have encountered. It can't really do anything right and when you increase difficult settings its cheating is so blapant there is no reason to play with it. If I have 20 extra happiness I consider it very good, but AI can have easily over 50 or even 100 happiness. Really, what is the point of game anyway if AI is immune on core game mechanic?

I think it's because you find random people in the Civ 5 lobby that simply leave the game when they make a mistake or don't have really nice land or miss a wonder. That's the problem. NQ group fixes that.

NQ is falling apart, and NQ doesn't fix the problems, often or not, with the lag NQ contributes these slow minded tacticle people just make it worse.

The Ideal Quick Game in Multiplayer should match the completition time to a quick game in Singleplayer. Right now a quick speed game with 6 players can average 7-9 hours while it should average 4, with 6 being for the top most strategical intense games.

NQ is falling apart, and NQ doesn't fix the problems, often or not, with the lag NQ contributes these slow minded tacticle people just make it worse.

The Ideal Quick Game in Multiplayer should match the completition time to a quick game in Singleplayer. Right now a quick speed game with 6 players can average 7-9 hours while it should average 4, with 6 being for the top most strategical intense games.

I wouldn't say NQ is falling apart, there is just a difference of opinion, that happens in real life. Just join CivNQ http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791435127848 which has partnered with Civplayers.com So that we can provide both a casual or competitive MP experience. If you want shorter games, you can find that more likely at Civplayers. But shorter does mean a turn or time limit that does have there own side effects on game play.

As for the Civ5 MP problems, I would not expect that even the BBB can force 2K to spend money to do a complete code rewite of Civ5. But it's an interesting approach.

Realistically I expect MP to be re-engineered in Civ6 when ever that hits the streets.

Until then we can only make the best of what we have.

CS

Really what is problem of this community? I would imagine this to be the hottest topic here but it is barely noticed. Civ serie is clearly in decline and I cant blame anybody else expect fans: they simply are not demanding enough and forgives too easily. And this is the result.

MP simply is horrible broken and after three expansions firaxi has declared civ5 as complited as broken is it. I would imagine people would be furious of this but no. In general Even SP is broken because of incapable ai but lets leave that out now.

I believe civ5 has been the most disappointing civ producted. it had some nice new features but everything else is mismanaged or badly executed.

Really what is problem of this community? I would imagine this to be the hottest topic here but it is barely noticed. Civ serie is clearly in decline and I cant blame anybody else expect fans: they simply are not demanding enough and forgives too easily. And this is the result.

MP simply is horrible broken and after three expansions firaxi has declared civ5 as complited as broken is it. I would imagine people would be furious of this but no. In general Even SP is broken because of incapable ai but lets leave that out now.

I believe civ5 has been the most disappointing civ producted. it had some nice new features but everything else is mismanaged or badly executed.

lol

it's not that people don't care, but rather that there is 0 expectation that firaxis would fix anything... they've had 3.5 years to do it.
all they've really done in that time frame is make the game more restrictive & luck-based

I made my own complaint to the BBB about the freeze bug when hosting as well as multiplayer instability.

They have actually responded to the complaint. We shall see if some action is taken.

lol

it's not that people don't care, but rather that there is 0 expectation that firaxis would fix anything... they've had 3.5 years to do it.
all they've really done in that time frame is make the game more restrictive & luck-based

Well I definetly expect that people care. Civ5 could be so much better game if customers would be more demanding and not passive. Why that is not, I dont know.

Top Bottom