Rising Coastlines?

What happens when the 'coastline rises'? Does marshland disappear?

I've has this happen to me once a long time ago in vanilla civ. The coast just moves up one tile into your territory.

I assume global warimg must have to be really bad for this to happen...

Welcome to the terrifying world of rising coastlines. It has happened to me twice. The first time it was in GOTM-15. Before:

And after:

Yay, Land Fish!

Note that I didn't even have any factories. Or even coal for that matter. I think that I was still in the Middle Ages at that point, with roads and calvary. When the AI was warring with railroads and tanks. :(

I experienced the same long ago in Vanilla Civ3. 2 of my coastal cities at that game got surrounded by land. I thought that probably a game file was corrupt, so unistalled/reinstalled Civ3. I think, that wasn't with patch 1.29f: I was playing with an older one.

Originally posted by ainwood
:hmm: I though that land-fish were as a result of 'nuclear terraforming'! :lol:

They can also be a result of Global Warming if a coastal square turns to desert do to global warming. But that isn't 'rising coastlands', is it?

I've seen it with "nuclear terraforming" too. I think it's due to the fact that certain terrain has to be bordered by another terrain. (i.e., tundra can't be next to plans).

This is one thing I like about SMAC - you've got a bit more control over crazy stuff like rising and falling sea levels. "That's right gang - let's raise the sea levels and drown the believers!!"

Originally posted by Chieftess
I've seen it with "nuclear terraforming" too. I think it's due to the fact that certain terrain has to be bordered by another terrain. (i.e., tundra can't be next to plans).

Is there any idea what these rules are?

Originally posted by ainwood
I was looking through the civilopaedia, and noticed this entry...

#GLOBALWARMING_RISING_COASTLINES
Coastlines are rising! Our scientist blame it on Global Warming...

I can't say I've seen that happen since civ 2! :eek:

I would *guess* this message is just in the file - maybe it was once planned to use it, but there's actually no trigger/event to let it pop up in the final version.

Btw, when I installed vanilla, I noticed there were some multi-player related error messages in some text file - of course, vanilla came w/o multi-player support...

Top Bottom