Getting custom built computer for xmas have some questions

Xanikk999

History junkie
Hi im getting a custom built computer for christmas and im going to get all the parts seperatly of course. I would like to get some feedback on what you guys would think is top of the line pc parts that would work above average for civ 4. Not the best of the best, just very good. Tell me what you would suggest for each part. I have a couple years of experience with computer hardware im just not sure which would be the best overall.
Im looking for best graphics for graphics cards and fastest performance and capibilities for everything else also.

Parts im looking for are:

-Processor brand and model
-Video card (AGP or nvidea unless theres something better.)
-type and brand of mother board
-type and brand of RAM
-case design/type/brand
-cooling system
-type of monitor specifically.
-type of sound card if a good one is not built into mother board.
-any other hardware that im forgetting about give me a good type and model

-A Price range anywhere from $1000-$5000 is acceptable

-if you can try and give me a really really nice set up and a plain above average set up.

My current pc specs right now are:

Sony Vaio case

1GB of RAM
2.8 pentium 4 processor
some basic speakers and built in sound card
ATI radeon 9800 graphics card (looking for something better)

Ill figure out what type of harddrive, dvd drives, and peripherals il need.

Any other advise is greaty appreciated :)

-Processor brand and model

AMD Opteron 146 or 148. That CPU overclocks really well (although there are never any guarantees, I have two of them and they both reach 3000mhz)

-Video card (AGP or nvidea unless theres something better.)

NVidia 7800GT or if no expense spared then the GTX version. I would go for this over the ATI 1800 series, then you could go SLI, if you would want to.

-type and brand of mother board

DFI Lanparty Ultra D - The motherboard can be modified to accept an SLI graphics card setup but if doing the mod isn't for you then just get the SLI version rather than the std Ulta-D.
If there is no expense spared on the motherboard then go for
Asus A8N32-SLi Deluxe nForce4 SLi X16 (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard. With its 8 phase power design and great features it should be an excellent board.

-type and brand of RAM

2x1GB of Geil Value DDR400 memory or 2x1GB Crucial Balistix DDR500 memory, a little more expensive. Or if money is not a problem then......
Mushkin's XP4000 Redline memory or OCZ (OCZ5002048ELGE-K) (2x1GB) 2GB EL DDR PC-4000 1024MB Gold Edition

-case design/type/brand

Whatever pleases you in appearance and features. Power Supply would be an Enermax Libery 500 (ATX 2.2 Complaint) or the 620w.

-cooling system

Arctic Freezer 64pro. Or for more money Zalman CNPS 9500.

-type of monitor specifically.

19" Samsung SM913N or.......more money....Belinea 102035W 20.1" Widescreen LCD Monitor

-type of sound card if a good one is not built into mother board.

On the motherboard

-any other hardware that im forgetting about give me a good type and model

Optical drives.....hard drives...floppy.....etc etc etc as well as prayer mat, almanac and holy water.

Wrong country for you but take a look here....

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/

..hang around a while in their forums and then you will realise that why that CPU is a MUST buy. Their forums are quite informative. BUT be quick.....

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=28250

My Opteron will run at 3000mhz. It cost 115 UK pounds and is faster than the FX57 which costs around 730 UK pounds....!!!!!

BTW: You will realise that there is no 'best' but the above pieces of kit would make a very nice PC....!!!!

I just built myself an eary Christmas present (got fed up running Civ4 on 1024, low res) my system;
Asus AN8-SLI Premium
AMD x2 4200 CPU
2 GIG DDR400 ram
2 x geforce 6600 gt run paired on SLI
250 gb sata2 h/drive
550w PSU (dont scimp on this important kit)
To top it off the Acer 24" AL2416WS 16:9 6ms 1900x1200 lcd monitor

I was going to go higher spec, but with this m/board I'll be able to upgrade it simply by getting a faster cpu and upping to 7800 video cards when required.

The total price was around £1650

Top Bottom