Is this place still active?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have found NESers to be extraordinarily unreliable when it comes to giving account of their activities.

I have found NESers to be extraordinarily unreliable when it comes to giving account of their activities.

What constitutes activity, anyway? Is the whole of our existence judged on games run on forums, or is over a decade of community still actively gathering to communicate enough? At our peak we had maybe sixty active NESers at a single moment, normally closer to thirty-forty over my ten years here. We've always been extremely niche. We've had twenty unique regulars in the last week alone in the incestuous chat, so I ask again: what is activity? It isn't like the chat was ever specifically designed to be the bastion of rulesets and gaming. It was always a live WWW in a sense. I guess the concept of sharing more than one thing in common with a group of individuals escapes the detractors.

But I do have to say that activity is a more abstract concept than it is being presented here. Running a game on a forum for two updates and failing is no more activity than gathering ten or fifteen people together to build an alt. history timeline. In the end, one of them is completed and the other is not.

Alas there is some incessant need to pick and pester around here. If you want to run your games, go do so, but stop with the bullying, man. We're all adults, most of us beyond higher education seeking to do much grander things with our lives than run watered down NESing experiences. Enjoy the friends you've made and let it be.

A fair discussion would involve a bit of discourse regarding moderation, which is a no-no on this site.

The basic story is that a portion of our community felt that moderation overreached their bounds, and got really angry at the site administration. Some people decided to burn bridges and get their accounts permabanned. A lot of these people moved over to the Frontier, which is another site hosting NES-like games, though our subforum there is currently fairly inactive. I suspect that a lot of us who moved don't have the time to run NESes of the sort that we'd like to play, and moving to a different site just emphasized that issue. Right now the best place to go to find NES-like games is the IOT subforum.

So some of our community now refuses to touch Civfanatics, and as there isn't much NES activity elsewhere, they're not NESing right now. Some of our community stayed here, and don't NES very much as this subforum is rather inactive. Those of us that still want to play these games and write NES-type stories do so in IOT.

Myself, I haven't properly been in a classic-styled NES since NK put N3S (the current pinnacle of NESing as an art form, IMHO) on indefinite hiatus around a year ago. Thlayli has been developing a setting, but it's still in the formative stages. I recently played a space NES-type thingy run by Daftpanzer in the IOT forum, but sadly Daft isn't able to update it at this time.

There's also a pretty active community on #nes, our IRC chat, which can be found at warrensofthought.com.

That's a great analysis, Iggy.

Yeah, I just legitimately didn't have time between work, class, and research to do justice to my althist. But CD and I have been working on a very promising automated stats system that will hopefully lower the moderator anguish when I finally am able to launch this.

@justokre: I could construct an accurate recounting of events with 100% more information and 100% less equivocation than Lord Iggy provided,
Why'd you say that? :( I gave the basic overview needed to understand things without going into the manifesto, the back and forth with mods, and the like. And I'm hardly equivocating on what I'm saying, unless you count not naming names as equivocation.

but honestly there'd be very little point and the effort would be subject to untrained surgery by trolls in the grips of delusional psychotic episodes that seem to be only triggered by the use of accurate but unpleasant sentences like "Virtually zero activity in any part of the community for the past year and a half."
You're being really hostile here Crezth. I don't think anyone's going to debate that the NES and STG forums have been largely inactive, but there are things going on, discussions and RPG campaigns, that aren't on the forums.

The bottom line is that all former NESers who actually produce content have moved to IOT in realization of the ancient prophesy that a forum cannot long survive on the fruit of its incestuous chat-room bound culture.
Why are you throwing names like this?

The truth is more depressing than edifying in any way so just go to IOT if you want to play games.
Yeah, the games are in IOT.

@Crezth, you might be right. Surprisingly time moves on, and I don't really have much to say about changing my opinion on the matter (apparently?) except that it's been nearly two years, and I have disagreements to be passionate about that aren't Internet forum games. Interestingly you have just pointed out that the incestuous nature of #nes has held the community back, so I think we've all come around to a middle point :p

Everyone should go join this right now.
I am really not understanding the #nes hate.

I deeply apologise for that. :( I really want to make it a more welcoming place, it should be an excellent location for fun and conversation, not a place other NESers feel uncomfortable to visit.

Because #nes can be quite clique-ish and a hostile environment for those not in the in-group

I don't think that's really fair to say, Owen, especially since you don't spend much time there.

Are fiftychat or iotchat really any different? I don't think so; all chatrooms discourage newcomers in their own ways.

I don't think that's really fair to say, Owen, especially since you don't spend much time there.

Are fiftychat or iotchat really any different? I don't think so; all chatrooms discourage newcomers in their own ways.

It is fair.

Look, I don't think anyone can seriously argue that #nes is not cliqueish, in the sense that if people don't want to talk to you they won't. In this sense, it's no more cliqueish than any other social interaction that occurs in real life, but the goal of #nes shouldn't be to foster social interaction as much as it should be to foster the community. If we were in this just for the friends we'd all exchange phone numbers, meet up and go pick up girls together. Or maybe that was just the fan-fic I wrote about me and Crezthchan ...

I digress. I think anyone can get something out of #nes if they are prepared to deal with the snark and "apathetic cool" disinterest that people affect there. Indeed, if you're snarky and dead inside, you'll probably get quite a lot out of #nes, but it's hard for newer members of the community to ingratiate themselves on chat when they are unfamiliar with the style that #nes and its denizens keep up. I really do believe this is a matter of "style," or culture, if we want to be generous. Even people that have "wronged" the community have been able to have beneficial conversations on #nes when they have approached it from the right standpoint.

The simple fact of the matter is that on #nes, people are mean to each other in I guess an Internet equivalent to that locker room way I keep hearing about. Whether this is cliqueishness or just one way of interacting is debatable.

Lol, LoE man you make it sound like we haze people.

In comparison to the retiring, "let's all be friends" hugbox attitudes of other groups, yeah :p

It is fair.
You're conflating having one regular you dislike with everyone disliking you. That's not reasonable.

Look, I don't think anyone can seriously argue that #nes is not cliqueish, in the sense that if people don't want to talk to you they won't. In this sense, it's no more cliqueish than any other social interaction that occurs in real life, but the goal of #nes shouldn't be to foster social interaction as much as it should be to foster the community. If we were in this just for the friends we'd all exchange phone numbers, meet up and go pick up girls together. Or maybe that was just the fan-fic I wrote about me and Crezthchan ...
It's a group with shared interests, but I don't think it's either actively or passively hostile to others. If we actively avoided other people, you might describe it as cliquey, but as it is what you're saying is equivalent to saying that a small village on an island is cliquey.

Get your terms straight, we're inbred, not cliquey. :p

I digress. I think anyone can get something out of #nes if they are prepared to deal with the snark and "apathetic cool" disinterest that people affect there.
You speak as if every one of us is snarky and apathetic.

Indeed, if you're snarky and dead inside, you'll probably get quite a lot out of #nes, but it's hard for newer members of the community to ingratiate themselves on chat when they are unfamiliar with the style that #nes and its denizens keep up.
If you're dead inside, you'll likely get very little out of anything. You don't need to ingratiate yourself with #nes to take part and be appreciated, that's silly.

The simple fact of the matter is that on #nes, people are mean to each other in I guess an Internet equivalent to that locker room way I keep hearing about. Whether this is cliqueishness or just one way of interacting is debatable.
I am really not seeing this meanness or locker room antics. Maybe it just never happens to me.

In comparison to the retiring, "let's all be friends" hugbox attitudes of other groups, yeah

That's hilarious, Symphony D. criticized for turning #nes into a hugbox. :p

When it was good, NESing was simply outstanding. It was a community of prodigious creativity and anticipation. A delightful place full of nice people who got cranky from time to time.

Link to video.

And like Camelot, well, that ended badly too. :)

You're conflating having one regular you dislike with everyone disliking you. That's not reasonable.
So simple isn't it?

I did learn one thing since my personal experiences with #nes chat. When things go out of hand, get screenshots.

So simple isn't it?

I did learn one thing since my personal experiences with #nes chat. When things go out of hand, get screenshots.

As if logs don't exist? What would that matter anyway? To show to people without context?

When it was good, NESing was simply outstanding. It was a community of prodigious creativity and anticipation. A delightful place full of nice people who got cranky from time to time.

yea, and there's still a lot of good things happening in #nes. Pretty much the same dynamic, though less pure NES stuff. NESing evolved into interests in story writing, history research, althistory timeline creating and community discussion with people who mostly like each other :p

IMO, we're fairly welcoming to newcomers, especially in comparison to other chatrooms (IOTchat, early fiftychat) and most forums (CFC OT, Somethingawful, etc). I'm not going to let it slide that #nes is some terrible place, it was much worse in the past and some of the people who complain about the tenor of the chatroom now were often complicit in the blatant hobby shaming (including of nesing lol) & arsehattery that went on back then.

I don't regret for one minute giving the middle finger to the site administration, I can still play NES' when they run on the IOT forum or when an exciting althistory collab comes together in #nes, etc.

So yea, this subforum isnt active. The absolutely terrible site administration of CFC killed it, along with a lack of the special personality that could run a successful NES.

NESing still exists though. Just look at my sig. Plus TheMeanestGuest's fantasy epic on The Frontier. Honestly, even if every NES died...it would keep coming back. It's an addictive and fun concept.

As for erez...lol.

As someone who is still involved (though not as much as before) in both #nes and iotchat and IOTing, I can attest to and confirm all of azale's statements.

iggy is #nes' one black friend who lets us all point at him and say "see we're stand up guys" while we discretely tuck our hoods in the tray of our F250.

yes I'm alive. ive just been busy, on holiday, at conferences/meetings and most importantly without a pc and/or Internet for the last six months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom