[MOD] Fall from Heaven II

Kael said:
Im not sure how to do the "pick your 3 cities", I guess we could have a popup when you found a city to see if you want it to be a captial or not. Let me think about it.

You could make a button in the city screen that allows you to promote a settlement to hub city and a popup which allows you to select what city to demote. All buildings in the demoted hub city which a settlement isn't supposed to have should either be destroyed or disabled to prevent abuse.

Another alternative is to have a building costing one hammer which upgrades a settlement to a hub city and again a popup to select which to demote. But this wouldn't work very well unless all settlements get a minimum of one production.

Each city you found or conquer should start out as settlement. I feel it is not to bad a thing if you have to decide beforehand where your big cities should be so downgrading an big city to a settlement should not be allowed.

Simply Imagine someone would have decided that rome would no longer be a city but will become an outpost and all people have to immigrate to a former "settlement" of rome eg. a city in greece. Do you think that would have worked? i don't think so. :)

Kael said:
Civfanatics ftp server is down, I sent Thunderfall a pm. It went down earlier today too. I hope there isnt an issue, I know one month I had to move FfH off of the civfanatic server entirely because we were dangerously close to running civfanatics out of bandwidth.
I am willing to try setting up a mirror on my home server, if you like. Shoot me an email if you are interested.

dbemont@rochester.rr.com

chocmushroom said:
from what I can see, it does indeed look like your 2nd move was a hill & forest, so this would have counted as 2 and not 1
I don't think that that is what happened, although I could be wrong.

First, I am 99% sure that as I sat on the hill, I still had 2 of 4 movement points remaining. It was the last move that ate two points.

Second, it has also been my experience that the movement modifiers in forest normally apply to forest on hills, too. (Truthfully, I don't think that this is logical, and I would not mind this being stopped.)

OK Beorn, if you don't think that's a hill was there I have no idea why it happened. All I know is I've never had that problem with any of the hill-walking units I've had, nor fast moving scouts.

beorn said:
Second, it has also been my experience that the movement modifiers in forest normally apply to forest on hills, too. (Truthfully, I don't think that this is logical, and I would not mind this being stopped.)

I do know what you mean, i'm always confused when dwarfs move onto the forested hill for half-movement, this does not make sense when it cost 3 point to move a scout onto a forested hill.

beorn said:
I don't think that that is what happened, although I could be wrong.

First, I am 99% sure that as I sat on the hill, I still had 2 of 4 movement points remaining. It was the last move that ate two points.

Ok here what i found out. Your moves are a non integer number (obviosly - cf, Roads) and the shown moves are always rounded up.
With woodsman II a forest costs you 1 movenemt, but a forest on a hill cost you 1.5 movement point (similar for Guriella II - hill:1.0 forested hill 1.5).
Only one of the two boni applies, so a gurilla2/woodsman2 unit is also paying 1.5 Movementpoints for an forested hill.

So i assume you ran first an forest and an forest hill sucking up 2.5 movement points. Nevertheless there were 2 movement points left shown. Now as you ran on the last tile, which i assume was a forested hill again, this one sucked up the last 1.5 movement points and you had zero left.

P.s. The strange thing in the code is that before the movement points needed are halved its cheked if they are greater than the max moves, so a dwarf (1 movement) pays only min(3,1)/2 = 0.5 for entering a forested hill.

One could think about changing this one so that it is halved first and than the minimum calculated. So the dwarf would than pay: min(3/2,1) = 1 movement point. The bad thing is that he would also pay 1 movement point for an normal hill, so he has no advantage when he has not 2 movement points. This would be strange also.

Kael said:
He can teach any of the following spells to any living non-animal unit:

Dance of Blades
Escape
Haste
Raise Skeleton

The only requirement is that Govannon has to know the spell. So you could have an army of haste casting, escaping, dance of blading, skeleton raising macemen if you wanted.

Sweet, sweet. And I thought it was a load of work to ensure that all or as many as possible of my troops had the appropriate enchantments and other assorted buffs. Poor Govannon is going to have to run his frail wizardly legs off I suspect.. Mwaha.. Mwahaha..

Kael said:
There is plently of stuff that grants xp (and the melee folks have the easiest time getting xp anyway). The building was unnessesary so it was cut. I honestly try to remove anything from the game that isn't needed, but I dont often succeed.

True enough I suppose. They do admittedly tend to be the most experienced troop type.

Kael said:
It doesnt, we need to replace the ability for the hall. Its on the feature list for 0.14.

Sounds good. In the meantime I'll just enjoy my Command'ing Paladins. :D

Cheers!

I have noticed on the diplomacy screens and technology screens that when an apostrophe is meant to be used, it is replaced with a rectangle. It looks like a symbol from a hex programming code or something. The last time I saw it was on a diplomacy screen with Hannah the Irin. "I told the lads you'd be a good man". I'm sure it is not high on the list of priorities of the development team at this point but will keep track of them if you like. Otherwise I'll keep my mouth shut.

Also, what promotion(s) does an Inquisitor need to purge the Cult of the Dragon from a city? It wasn't clear to me from reading the Pedia.

Thanks.

ugh, just great! I was playing on a continent map with 6 Civs, It was a temperate type and high ocean mass, and I was playing as Clan of the Empers, My leader is the male leader, Donas. I was expanding my empire and making units to fortify them, and dam. My computer automatically restarted itself which pisses me off.

Edit:I played in a different map and quite enjoying it as well, however i'm continue getting this rare bug that all the terrains get a bright light, here is a screenshot i took once it happen.

darkedone02 said:
Edit:I played in a different map and quite enjoying it as well, however i'm continue getting this rare bug that all the terrains get a bright light, here is a screenshot i took once it happen.

Am I right in thinking that you have 274,705 gold :eek: With 100% research rate :eek:
Please could you tell me what level you are playing on, as I think I may need hints from you as to how to get so much money

Chalid said:
Simply Imagine someone would have decided that rome would no longer be a city but will become an outpost and all people have to immigrate to a former "settlement" of rome eg. a city in greece. Do you think that would have worked? i don't think so. :)

Bolghar -> Bilär
Potsdam -> Berlin
Rome -> Ravenna -> Rome

You'll find several cases where a large city was degraded to a lesser size because someone decided that the capital (or other important functions) would be transfered elsewhere.

Many towns do survive this, though loose a lot of population. Others over time even simply cease to exist, but thats very uncommon.

Especially your example Roma is a good one. When the Goths sacked it, it was replaced as capital with Ravenna. Rome nearly ceased to exist, only due to the function of Rome as center of the catholic church it didn't.

Yes it would be untypical to have this kind of "selective devolution" as we might see with the Kuriotates.

Though on the other hand, the continuous city growth as seen in vanilla civ is unrealistic as well. If you look into european history you'll see how certain towns became dominant for a few centuries, but fall back into obscurity (some even loosing town status and becomming villages) later on.

Many important towns of the german middle age (Nürnberg, Aachen, Würzburg, Lübeck) are only 2nd or 3rd line cities today. Out of the three major cities of Germany (Berlin, Hamburg, München) only Hamburg was a major city prior to the 18th century.

While Lübeck (the capital of the Hanse) for example hasn't become a settlement, it has only little more then 5% of Berlins inhabitants today.

So actually yes, it did kind of work.

darkedone02 said:
ugh, just great! I was playing on a continent map with 6 Civs, It was a temperate type and high ocean mass, and I was playing as Clan of the Empers, My leader is the male leader, Donas. I was expanding my empire and making units to fortify them, and dam. My computer automatically restarted itself which pisses me off.

Looks nice. If we only could archive that on purpose...

No really, most probably a bug with the graphics engine, where we can do nothing about.

Question on one behavior with chaos marauders - happened several times just trying to identify it clearly. Having entire armies (15-20 upper level units) disappear when a single chaos marauder revolts. The army is literally removed from the map when a close marauder revolts, no combat.

Looking at the code, guessing that the rebel unit is being created in the army square forcing the game engine to eliminate the army - opposing units cannot occupy the same square. Not a Python guy but seems like the FindClearPlot() function, being a general case utility, counts a plot with units owned by the same player as 'clear'.

beorn said:
I am willing to try setting up a mirror on my home server, if you like. Shoot me an email if you are interested.

dbemont@rochester.rr.com
I still can't download the latest patch (server missing error). Is anyone else having this problem (or is it because I'm at the bottom of the world?):sad:

Hi everybody,

Settlements seems to be a big problem for many people. I don't think so. It's a good idea, having three big cities and some outposts.
But OMI, settlement maluses are too important. It would be more interesting if a settlement could grow to size 2 or 3 and then stop. I don't know what Kael and the Team really wanted when they created them but for me they are like the first outposts that were built in the New World when the European Countries travelled the seas and colonized. So, again OMI, they should at least generate a low amount of money, can be improved with some military builbings (walls, castle, palissade) and trade ones (harbor, inn, tavern for exemple).

The Frog.

Bastian-Bux said:
Yes it would be untypical to have this kind of "selective devolution" as we might see with the Kuriotates.

The "selective devolution" of the Kurioates, to me anyway, makes them an unattractive civ to play. They look very vulnerable with all those size 1 cities. I guess I can't really pass judgment until I play or attack them. Also, I must admit it is a very innovative idea.

If someone would zip and email me the patch, I could put it on my server and make it available there at least temporarily.

If Kael wants, I could permanently put up the total mod and any related maps or scenerios, too.

dbemont@rochester.rr.com

Top Bottom