SMAC+SMAX at GOG for $2.99 till Jan 3 2013

White Elk

99 > 1
GOG got SMAX !! If you already own Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri on GOG.com, redownload the installer to get the Alien Crossfire expansion for free. If you don't already have SMAC, you can get it, and SMAX for $2.99 until January 3rd 2013.

Much of GOG's catalog is 50% off till Jan 3rd. That includes TBS greats like Master of Magic and Master of Orion 1+2 and Call to Power 2 for $2.99 each. In addition to the big 50% off sale, there are daily sales reducing prices even further. All games on GOG.com are always DRM-free.

*GOG has yet to update their SMAC gamecard to indicate that SMAX is included. But i can confirm that my previous purchase of SMAC, now entitles me to the SMAX expansion, which i have since downloaded, installed, and played a few turns :)

Great find! I can confirm that SMAX is now included with GOG's version of Alpha Centauri. If you already own GOG's version of SMAC, SMAX is free (just redownload the game). And, as is the case with all GOG games, no DRM. That means that you don't need to have a CD in the drive to play the game. For only $2.99, this is a real bargain.

The GOG.com version of AC now includes the expansion pack "Alien Crossfire". If you have previously purchased AC from the site, re-download and you get the expansion as well.

Moderator Action: Merged with existing thread.

For those of you purchased the GOG release of SMAC + SMAX, a patch is available to fix some problems with the original release. Go to this page and click on the Alpha Centauri icon. Select the Universal Update link and save the file to some convenient location. Run the update. The patch fixes some problems related to the SMAX version number.

ETA: Hold off on downloading this patch for now. It doesn't fix all the problems that it was supposed to.

For those of you purchased the GOG release of SMAC + SMAX, a patch is available to fix some problems with the original release. Go to this page and click on the Alpha Centauri icon. Select the Universal Update link and save the file to some convenient location. Run the update. The patch fixes some problems related to the SMAX version number.
Any more details on exactly what this patch does?

Any more details on exactly what this patch does?

It was supposed to incorporate the changes made in Firaxis' v2.0 release of SMAX. It now seems that not all changes were made (although, as far as I know, it doesn't break anything). I now suggest holding off on applying the patch until I get more information.

I'll start a new thread about the GOG patch, since the issue isn't related to the sale. Anyone who wishes to do so may download the new files from GOG. The other thread that I'm starting explains how to work around the issues that arise from installing the new files.

Yep, I also got it there. GOG is really amazing for me as it mostly offers exactly those games I played demos of or read about in a time when I was very much into gaming but lacked the funds and / or equipment to play them. Now I get them at complete bargain prices and Alpha Centauri alone will keep me occupied for ages.. not to speak of other not-too shallow games such as the whole Commandos series, Jagged Alliance 2, Baldurs Gate, Planescape Torment etc etc :D

Unfortunately, I sometimes had a bit of hassle with running GOG releases on Windows 7 even when it says they run on W7. Eventually they also ran on it after I had contacted support and (besides running as Administrator obviously) also installed a small package into the folder. This didn't apply to SMAC by the way, which ran from the beginning.

Top Bottom