GOG's Release and Patch of SMAC and SMAX

Petek

Alpha Centaurian
Administrator
Supporter
The instructions in this thread about how to manually patch GOG's release of SMACX are now obsolete. Please see my later post in this thread for more information.

As noted in this thread, Good Old Games (GOG) recently released Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri (SMAC) with the inclusion of the Alien Crossfire (SMAX) add-on. The original release was flawed, in that SMAX reported within the game a version number of 1.0 (use Ctrl-F4 in the game to see the version number). The most recent version of SMAX is 2.0. (SMAC reports version 5.0. This is correct, since the Win2k/XP compatibility update changes the version number to 5.0.)

On January 3, 2013, GOG released an updated installer file (for those who hadn't already purchased the version that included SMAX) and a "Universal Update" (for those who already had the games). These updates changed the SMAX version to 2.0, but didn't incorporate other bug fixes and modifications made by patch 2.0. The purpose of this post is to describe how to modify GOG's post-patch installation of SMAC and SMAX so that all the official bug fixes and other changes are included.

Disclaimer: I have tested these instructions and played some partial games after making the changes. I think that everything should work OK. If you run into any problems after following these instructions, please post in this thread and describe your issues. At worst, you can uninstall the game and redownload it from GOG, leaving you no worse off than before.

So, I assume that you downloaded Alpha Centauri from GOG, on or after Jan. 3, 2013 and that your version of SMAX reports version 2.0.

First, rename the files terran.exe and terranx.exe to something such as terran_GOG.exe and terranx_GOG.exe. In a default installation, the files will be located in the folder C:\GOG Games\Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri.

Next, go to Firaxis Games Alpha Cetauri download page and download the files labeled SMAC Win 2000/XP Update and Alien Crossfire v2.0 update. Save these files in the folder mentioned in the previous paragraph. The two files should be named SMAC_Win2000_XP_Compatibility_Update_v1.03f.exe and Smacxpv2.exe, resp.

Run Smacxpv2.exe. Make sure that the files will be extracted to the proper folder (same as the folder mentioned above).

Now run SMAC_Win2000_XP_Compatibility_Update_v1.03f.exe. You will be warned that you will be uninstalling the compatibility update. That is what you want to do. Proceed. After the process is finished, run SMAC_Win2000_XP_Compatibility_Update_v1.03f.exe (again making sure that the proper folder is selected). This will reinstall the compatibility update.

Your system should now have all the official patches from Firaxis installed. Use the the files that you earlier renamed (e.g., terran_GOG.exe for SMAC and terranx_GOG.exe for SMAX) to launch whichever game you want to play.

Here's an explanation of why you have to run the compatibility update, even though it's already installed in GOG's version of the games: The compatibility update was released after the patch that updated SMAX to v2.0. When you ran Smacxpv2.exe, it not only updated terranx.exe, but also reverted some other game files to versions from before the compatibility update. Uninstalling and reinstalling the compatibility update insures that the games files are the most recent version.

I will post again if GOG releases another update.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Is there a way to know if you have the proper setup?

Did you get the game from GOG? If so, did you make the changes suggested in my first post in this thread? If you didn't get the game from GOG, what is its source?

(Sorry still me, just with my not ancient user ID).

I did get it from GOG, and I did follow the steps, but there were some inconsistencies. When I ran the ..1.0.3f.exe I did not originally get a warning that I was uninstalling anything. So I ran it again, and then I got the warning. Then I ran it a third time.

So I'm kinda unsure I'm at the right end state. Is there a way to tell if I am?

Also, why keep two sets of .exe's? Why not just replace terran(x).exe with the original ones?

I think you're probably fine, although I don't know why the first run of the Win2k/XP update didn't uninstall it. To check, GOG's version of terran.exe should be dated 1/2/2013 and the other version of terran.exe should be dated 8/13/2002.

You can delete the older versions of terran.exe and terranx.exe if you wish. I suggest keeping both versions just in case we find later that the older versions are needed for some reason.

ETA: Check your PMs.

Hmm, I tried unzipping the first file and it says "Can't create output file C:\GOG Games\Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri\drvmgt.dll"

Hmm, I tried unzipping the first file and it says "Can't create output file C:\GOG Games\Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri\drvmgt.dll"

I'm not sure what file you're referring to. (Note: This post and the previous one are a continuation from this thread.)

OK, I assume that you installed the "Universal Update" from GOG. Two suggestions:

1. Run the file as administrator, or if that doesn't help,
2. Download the file again (it might not have downloaded correctly).

Please post again if it still doesn't work.

GOG has now fixed the problems with the patching of SMACX.

1. If you had previously downloaded SMACX, but did not apply the above instructions for manually patching the game, then go here, select the option to redownload the game, click on the Alpha Centauri icon and download the Universal Update (2.0.0-> 2.0.2). Install the update and you should be good to go.

2. If you did follow the instructions to manually patch the game, then you may have to uninstall it before applying GOG's patch. Do so and then go to the same location as above. Download and run the Windows Installer.

Please let me know if you have any questions or run into any additional problems with GOG's release of SMACX.

If I reinstall what will happen to my save games? Should I copy and move and my save games before I reinstall?

Also what does this patch fix?

If I reinstall what will happen to my save games? Should I copy and move and my save games before I reinstall?

Also what does this patch fix?

Yes, to be safe, copy any save files to another location before uninstalling/reinstalling.

Your main SMAC folder contains a file named readme.txt. The section in that file titled CHANGES IN ALIEN CROSSFIRE VERSION 2.0 lists the changes made by the patch.

GOG has now fixed the problems with the patching of SMACX.

1. If you had previously downloaded SMACX, but did not apply the above instructions for manually patching the game, then go here, select the option to redownload the game, click on the Alpha Centauri icon and download the Universal Update (2.0.0-> 2.0.2). Install the update and you should be good to go.

2. If you did follow the instructions to manually patch the game, then you may have to uninstall it before applying GOG's patch. Do so and then go to the same location as above. Download and run the Windows Installer.

Please let me know if you have any questions or run into any additional problems with GOG's release of SMACX.

Hi
Thanks for all the info on this but some questions:

Basically i think i have done 1) above.
I had the original (when it was first released) GOG download of SMAC/SMAX (GOG version 2.0.0.19) and applied the GOG update 2.0.2.23 today - it seemed to install OK but the Alien Crossfire version is dated 20/12/1999 and is 2.0 still and not 2.02.

Maybe the patch doesn't change the version number? Or maybe i have installed wrong.

How to i get a correct install?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

You appear to have updated the game correctly. After running GOG's update, SMAX's in-game version number still displays as 2.0 dated Dec. 20, 1999. Have fun!

I purchased SMAC from GoG in 2013, but my machine is a mac. Does my game require patching and if so how do I do it?

I don't know whether the Mac version of the game uses the same version numbers as the PC. If it does, SMAC should be version 5.0 and SMAX v. 2.0. To see the version number go Menu --> Help --> Show Version Number. If you see something else, I suggest that you contact GOG directly. Hope this helps.

Top Bottom