i can't see the main menu buttons

I really don´t think it´s the language. Mine is a corporate laptop with English as default.

if your unable to see certain buttons, and that is the only issue you guys are having, then it may be a resolution issue. It took Tesb/Sephi a few versions to get a balance for all the buttons to be visible.

have either of you tried to adjust your resolutions up or down?

Any issue where you cannot see main menu buttons is most definitely an issue with language.

If a textkey is left blank for a language (as in, someone fills in the english, but leaves french, spanish, german, italian blank), it will create that issue for anyone running the language that was forgotten.

To "fix" it, load standard BtS, go to options, verify that the language is set to English, and then load the mod. If you still are not seeing main menu buttons, you are experiencing something novel.

Thanks guys.

Just tried the resolution, still no effect.

Valkrionn, yes, my BtS has always been set to English. Even if there was a Portuguese version, I don't really trust the quality of these translations. So apparently, it is something novel. Anyway, it's not just the buttons that don't appear, it's the whole menu. No box, no nothing. The lower box, with the "exit/go back" button, doesn't show either. I can only see the wallpaper image and hear the title theme.

BtS runs just fine, though. That's what makes me wonder.

I did re-install, since it was suggested that not installing to the default directory might be the cause. So I re-installed (all the way from Civ4 and every patch) to the default directory, still no menu.

But it's not entirely novel. This guy has had the same issue (he even linked a picture somewhere on the thread) with vanilla Civ:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=133047

From what I get, he disabled the sound and for some reason it worked... haven't tried that yet.

@chuck - sorry to disappoint you, but WM 9 has the same issue with Win XP, whatever it is.

Other mods work without a glitch. Both BtS official content (such as Age of Ice) and other mods from the forum (such as Legends of Revolution).

Made sure everything is patched to the latest version available. Civ 1.74, Warlords 2.13, BtS 3.19, WM 8.34, WM 9.10 beta. No good.

Also made sure there was no other custom material installed whatsoever before WM. I only tried Legends of Revolution later.

Tried changing language to English everywhere in Windows and BtS. No good.
Tried re-installing to the default directories. No good.
Tried changing the starting wallpaper in BtS. No good.
Tried full screen and no full screen. No good.
Tried both resolution options I have available (1366 x something and 1024 x something - shouldn't there be others?). Well, no good.
Tried disabling audio in BtS. No good.
Tried the option "skip main menu" in Wild Mana config file. No good.

I'm sending the images of what it looks like. I can also hear the themes.

Actually, it seems the buttons work if you click on the right area. At least the "exit" button works.

Thanks for trying guys. Seems I'll have to wait a few months till they update the OS on our laptops...

EUREKA!

The game took a little longer to load, but I got the menu.

The thing is, apparently Win XP gets into trouble trying to open the .fpk files. Civ4 used to have them, but it seems the expansion packs and patches eliminated them. Wildmana, however, was still built within these files (if I had to guess, I'd say because of the huge amount of artwork it has in surplus to vanilla Civ, but Sephi and tesb and the guys have been doing such a great job that I blindly trust their reasons).

Anyway, I digress.... here's the solution:

http://apolyton.net/showthread.php/140859-New-fix-for-the-renderer-error?s=

Ignore whatever is says about requirements and all. This is the fix for games built on .fpk files running under Win XP, period. So:

1. Download the application on the link above (it's no virus, don't worry)
2. Get it out of the zip file and run it. Go to the "PAK" menu and select "Unpack"
3. You'll be prompted for a source file to unpack. Go into the "...\Wild Mana\Assets" folder and select all .fpk files you find. ("Three is the number thou shall count. Four thou will not count, neither will thou count five")
4. You'll then be prompted for a destiny directory to unpack to. Select the very same where you found those ("Five! - Three, sire. - Three!") files.
5. Wait. Just a couple minutes. You'll get no signal that it worked, but don't worry.
6. Move those three .fpk files out of there. It may be safe to store them elsewhere on your hard drive.
7. Enjoy the best Civ4 mod ever, on one of the worst OS ever.

(on a personal note, I'm actually not sure if the unpacking is necessary, or the files are already unpacked by the installation and all you have to do is move the .fpk out of there so as not to confuse Windows... too late for me to try, though)

the files in *.fpk a re not unpacked by the installation. the whole point of the *fpk is to speed up the loading time of the mod and to decrease its download size. i am glad you fixed :)

It does take noticeably longer to load the mod now, but it seems the only way to play.

Now I'm curious that no one else has had this kind of problem with Win XP before. Has the OS been abandoned so fast, or was it a hardware problem instead? That would surprise me since this is a brand new laptop.

I played FfH, RifE, FF, and Orbis on an XP machine, and I've loaded Wild Mana once or twice.

It is pretty well guaranteed a hardware problem; fpaks are used by the base game itself and a large percentage of mods. And since many still use XP... I don't see how an issue like that would go unreported, unless due to an obscure hardware bug.

Valkrionn, fpaks were actually removed from the vanilla Civ since patch 1.5 or something around that, and neither Warlords nor BtS used it.

But yes, it makes more sense to believe it a hardware issue.

that is simply wrong, my bts uses *.fkp files and i patched it to 3.19. look at the bts folder there should assets01 to 04 .fpk.

Mine doesn't. Now THAT's curious.

Base Civ4 still has those 4 files as you named them, but I believe the patch has unpacked them. But they are nowhere to be seem inside BtS directory.

I'm wondering on another question, also. Unpacking those files causes the game to take longer to load, but wouldn't it make the in-game faster? It could be welcome with older, weaker hardware.

Top Bottom