A Strategy for Carthage?

Carthage is bascially generic civ with the following exception:

Free harbor for every city. (Moment you get the wheel, you'll have city connection for all coastal cities with your capital [unless you moved your starting settler away from the coast])

That basically means you can wait until you want a road for movement purposes before building.
And in addition you'll have more gold to cash rush things in early game

Other than that, just see any generic guide for the form of victory you want and how many cities you want. 4 city Tall tradition works just as well for Carthage as it does everyone else.

I've been thinking about them, and it depends if you are coastal, or if you have room for a second coastal city or if there is a coastal CS close by. But you want to exploit the free Harbors which you can get operating about 50 turns ahead of everyone else. I think Wheel then sailing and you want to really protect those sea lanes with the UU. You could go Liberty or you could hard build a settler at pop 2 or 3. You might have to go inland on the second cities just because of the nice terrain in which case Carthage would be the main trade hub.

Build Coastal Cities, finish either Tradition or Liberty and start Exploration. All your cities should now have over 30 hammers by turn 250:lol:

None of this amounts to a strategy but there are a few things Carthage can do that other civs can't.

Engage in long distance trade early in the game.
Make good use of the MotG pantheon.
Build Quinqueremes to bully CSs.
Cross mountains and build roads over mountains.

Other than that that they play as a pretty normal civ.

Cross mountains and build roads over mountains.

I have to admit, I have never thought of this. Building a road across the mountain?! But wait! In the UA description it says 'units lose 50hp if they end their turn on a mountain'. So does this only apply to combat units, and not civilians?

I have to admit, I have never thought of this. Building a road across the mountain?! But wait! In the UA description it says 'units lose 50hp if they end their turn on a mountain'. So does this only apply to combat units, and not civilians?

It applies to civilians. You send the worker in, tell him to build a road. He takes fifty damage and the road is partially done. Take him out, heal him, send in another worker. He takes fifty damage, and works on the road. Move him out, put the original back in, now healed enough that he can take fifty damage. He finishes the road and gets pulled out to heal.

I imagine Carthage could pay dividends if you take god of the sea as your pantheon (if you're lucky!) and there are lots of fish/sea resources about. Getting free harbours means you'll get hammers quickly so as long as you can keep your civ happy and growing you should have a real production boon early to mid game. Obviously - everyone else can get this benefit by building harbours but the fact they come free means you want to take advantage of it.

I imagine Carthage could pay dividends if you take god of the sea as your pantheon (if you're lucky!) and there are lots of fish/sea resources about. Getting free harbours means you'll get hammers quickly so as long as you can keep your civ happy and growing you should have a real production boon early to mid game. Obviously - everyone else can get this benefit by building harbours but the fact they come free means you want to take advantage of it.
But I am talking about Carthage in BNW

Carthage rocks. The free harbor is great for domination or Sacred Sites ICS. If not SS, go Liberty->Exploration for the +1 free happiness on city capture. :winning:

Not to mention the quinquereme rocks for domination as well. And those elephants aren't so bad either. ;)

They're very powerful through classical and medieval and then their advantages taper off.

On a sea map their UA really doesn't kick in until you get into exploration happiness. So I'd say it's the opposite. And the value of free harbors cannot be underestimated... the implicit, immediate city connection on new (and captured) cities is very significant, especially if you've opened liberty. That's an immediate +2 happiness on captured cities, and normally you'd get nothing at all until you annexed and built a harbor.

Top Bottom