Rules for fighting in neutral territory?

rev063

Chieftain
Had a good game in the new patch. Alexander and Bismark were both neighbours, so there were frequent wars. In the end I couldn't hold them off (on Emperor), but it was a fun game.

Alexander had conquered Sweden, and in a brief upper hand in my war with him I conquered the Greek city of Uppsala, and liberated it. This was a surprisingly useful tactic: the Greek units were expelled from the new Swedish territory. I had open borders with Sweden and Alexander did not, so my units got some welcome breathing room to heal.

The battle continued around Uppsala, but I was a bit confused by the combat rules when fighting in lands of a third party. It seemed Alex could attack my units in Sweden from the air, even though he wasn't at war with Sweden and didn't have an open-borders treaty. I *think* he could hit my units with range as well (cannons). But it seemed I was immune from melee attacks across the border, although I could attack with impunity.

Anyone know what the exact rules are?

I've been baffled by this, as well, and think it's a glitch. If he's not at war with the Civ whose territory you're in, he should not be able to attack you with range (YOU sure can't do that to his troops without DOWing the neutral Civ).

Did you check to make sure he and Sweeden weren't still at war after the liberation?

Did you check to make sure he and Sweeden weren't still at war after the liberation?

I checked by trying to bribe Gustavus into going to war with Alexander on the Trade screen, and I could propose that trade. (For the record, he refused.)

Sounds like a glitch to me, then.

Though, I wouldn't mind if it if the situation you describe worked for both sides.

Top Bottom