Planning cIV BTS MTDG III

Sent some messages at Civforum.de, will see what happens.

I seem to recall there was a Russian Civfanatics community a few years back... is that still active? Might be another potential team.

@ bowsling - I read your team thread. Thanks for getting the ball rolling, its always tough to be the first. I would like to see others ideas before picking a team as ultimately its all about dedicated players. Rules and roles dissapate quickly when your team has only a few (or one) dedicated player left.

I think its important for those forming teams to promise that they will stick with it and serve as turnplayers to the bitter end if necessary. That's a must IMO.

I know. The formalities are there to attract people, I don't realistically expect to have fancy procedures and roles. Quatronia was like this: Provolution set up all sorts of roles advising the turnplayer and such, but it really just turned into a consensus team, then a cav scout team, then a Caledorn team. Thanks guys! :)

Well I think we already have our host, Caledorn, so recruiting RB seems like going backwards. What I would suggest is Caledorn should offer a game right now, so he can make sure everything is working. That way by the time the Team Game starts any bugs will be worked out. You can host multiple games at once, I do it all the time.:)

That is an excellent idea! I will set up a test game later today :)

I know. The formalities are there to attract people, I don't realistically expect to have fancy procedures and roles. Quatronia was like this: Provolution set up all sorts of roles advising the turnplayer and such, but it really just turned into a consensus team, then a cav scout team, then a Caledorn team. Thanks guys! :)

I only wish I had been able to dedicate all the time necessary into it, so I could have played it out all the way to the end... If anyone is worried about my abscence this winter in regards to the hosting, I can assure you that if I am to host a game I will host it until the end of the game, bar any force majeure that puts me in a position without internet or worse. ;)

@ Krill- Just my preference of course, but I like playing humans precisely because they don't play like the AI. I would be unhappy with rules that forced me to play like AI.

That's a catch-22. You don't want unbreakable alliances but you also want full diplomacy. You can't have both.

That said, humans don't play like AI. They just can't set up huge tech alliances outside the game. Can still trade tech though, and trade resources, maps, and still make friends and enemies due to in game actions. Having tried it a couple of times it definitely makes tech trading and unbreakable alliances much less problematic. I think it's a better option than AW or CTON, for example.

Also, why does CFC get to have more than 1 team? Can other forums also field more than 1 team?

So, how are these matters ultimately getting settled? One vote per team?

Also, why does CFC get to have more than 1 team? Can other forums also field more than 1 team?
I think this is firstly because of the vast number of members compared to any other civ site, then again even if we are from one site, there are already set rivalries between large groups due to we having separated teams from few games already. Last MTDG there were 5 teams from CFC and 1 from CDZ. Yet, no one treated CDZ like outsiders or something. In fact, 2 CFC teams were eliminated and 1 severely crippled, while no one declared war at CDZ the whole game. This I say if you are worried about CFC having big mass and acting coordinated against teams from outside CFC.

It was the case in the last MTDG IFAIK.

More concerned that it means CFC basically gets to choose the settings TBH, if it's one vote per team and CFC has half of hte teams.

Ah, that makes sense. Well, we have to come to consensus somehow :)

I do agree that choice about the settings based on experience is way better that one based on democracy and sheer numbers.

And still we are going to be some 6-7 teams, where only 2 or 3 will be from CFC. We will see.

Ugh, I hope not:(. As Krill points out that could be problematic if some sites have multiple teams and others have only one. I don't want the game starting off with people feeling cheated.
More concerned that it means CFC basically gets to choose the settings TBH, if it's one vote per team and CFC has half of hte teams.
I really wish we could just stick to the same number of teams per site. Too many teams just ends up with a bunch of headless leaderless Albatrosses in the end.
we have to come to consensus somehow :) ... I do agree that choice about the settings based on experience is way better that one based on democracy and sheer numbers.
Exactly This!!!:yup: Players that have played multiple games know the best way to make games that will be fun and retain players interest, not drag on too long etc, etc.:thumbsup: ... A popular vote where 80% of the people voting are new to MTDG and/or won't stick around to the end... Not so much:thumbsdown:

I am preparing a test pitboss, as I said I would - please sign up in the thread linked below! :) (I've already tested that it works and all that, but will remake as I need people to specify what leader they want to play etc)

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=461118

Ugh, I hope not:(. As Krill points out that could be problematic if some sites have multiple teams and others have only one.

Yeah, certainly a fair concern. Didn't mean to suggest that would be the best way of doing things. Rather, I just want to push to get the process, whatever it is, sorted out sooner rather than later; until we do, discussions can just keep going. :)

If balancing things between sites is the concern, we could always make it one vote per site. If a site fields multiple teams, those teams will have to get together and agree on their single vote.

Yeah, certainly a fair concern. Didn't mean to suggest that would be the best way of doing things. Rather, I just want to push to get the process, whatever it is, sorted out sooner rather than later; until we do, discussions can just keep going. :)

If balancing things between sites is the concern, we could always make it one vote per site. If a site fields multiple teams, those teams will have to get together and agree on their single vote.

This latter suggestion is a good suggestion in case a site can field more than one team. :) Having too many people in one team is not an ideal situation in my head, as I think only a select few would be left 6 months into the game. And if someone should need a break then - like a turnplayer or a key strategist - getting interest back from the absentees can be a nigh impossible task.. As such I believe it is a bad idea to prohibit more than one team from a site if we agree on more than 2 teams, considering how many people joined the last MTDG just from the CFC community. Just my 2 cents. :)

So do posters on other sites, and from what I can see there are more posters on RB interested in playing than there are at CFC...yet RB only gets 1 team and hence 1 vote? People having different opinions is not a reason to have more than 1 vote.

So do posters on other sites, and from what I can see there are more posters on RB interested in playing than there are at CFC...yet RB only gets 1 team and hence 1 vote? People having different opinions is not a reason to have more than 1 vote.

I cannot see any reason why RB shouldn't be allowed to field more than 1 team if there are enough players for it? :huh:

Are there enough spaces in the game though? According to the start of the thread the original aim was for 5-6 teams. I see WPC, Poly and CFC as definitely fielding at least 1 team. PAL will likely field the 4th, RB the 5th, Spanish site the 6th...PB games scale up to 18 players, but is that the aim?

Who are the PALs BTW? And the Templars - they are mentioned a lot in RB.

Also, if you go back and read the first post in RB where I announce MTDG3 (some people said it is not #3, but more like #4 or 5?!?) you will see that I clearly said that hopefully RB will field a team or two or even 3. Although I start to think we will go with just 1 team a site if we can get 5-6-7 teams.

Top Bottom