The NESer Paradox Games Thread

Started off as Jarl of Denmark in 867, became king fairly quickly, managed to take some of the British isles, won a few wars to claim some holy spots, reformed the faith. My first king last 38 years as ruler, from the start of the game (died at 75,) He was followed by his son, who ruled for only 8 years, and then his son, who ruled for 2 years before falling ill, passing the throne onto his younger brother, who then remarried his brother's widow (she was attractive!) He is now the King of Denmark, England, and Germany, most of which are reformed Norse.

Almost every Jarldom in my kingdom is ruled by a Jute, as concubines churn out babies by the dozens.

Interestingly, Mercia is ruled by Bedouin Norsemen. I got the event that gave me a loyal eunuch, a few generations back. I gave him a city, and his court was immediately populated by Bedouins. One distinguished himself (I don't remember how) but I immediately gave him the Jarldom of mercia, which was then populated by more Bedouins.

I'm really enjoying reading these Thlayli.

Thanks! It's a nice break from being nagged interminably about my update by nuka.

Chapter 4 - Crusader Queen

My life began that day, the day I stepped out of my mother's shadow to face the enemies of Christendom on my own. Perhaps I cannot fight as a man does, but Christ fought no battles and swung no swords, and yet He is King of Heaven and Earth. Bless my mother, she raised me well, and taught me my greatest lessons. But Emma's reign over Sicily is over, and now mine begins.

I am Berengaria the Lioness.

Though I am the daughter of a bastard, I am also the scion of the de Hauteville and Capetian dynasties, two of the greatest noble families in all of Europe. My mother sought to ensure my security by marrying me to Heinrich Salian, the second son of the Holy Roman Emperor. It was agreed that Heinrich would forfeit all rights and titles to his German lands, and that our children would bear my name. I am more dedicated to God than human pleasures, and have sworn a vow of celibacy, except for those circumstances necessary to carry on our line.

I believe the circumstances of this marriage were necessary for German court politics to which my mother was a party and I am not. Heinrich's brothers most likely sought to exclude him from the succession. Of course, everything changed when Heinrich's father and older brother died, and he was elected Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire. I find myself an Empress now, over a land I have never seen. And my pleasant, sickly husband has become one of the most powerful men in Christendom. Naturally our marriage is...difficult, as he has his Empire and I my Duchy. We do not see each other often, which I do not mind. He has given me two children, darling Emma and brave young Henry.

But these trivialities are not of any great matter.

The Pope declared a great war to recapture the holy city of Jerusalem, a war I joined in with great fervor, calling all the men of Sicily to fight. Unfortunately, it was a disaster. Our great fleet was scattered into a dozen separate sorties, and the Saracens were able to attack and destroy our forces at their leisure as they landed along the coast. Even as we tried to organize and march on Jerusalem, the men could not agree on a common commander, and though I swore loyalty to following the Papal emissary, the Frankish army would not. It was this division that destroyed us.

After the worst of the battles, I led my men out of the appalling desert to the coast, where our ships had waited. Only a few hundred survivors out of thousands, I was able to bring back to Sicily. Of course, despite our defeat the people praised my survival, calling it a miracle. But for my part, I knelt in the crypt of the ducal chapel at Palermo and wept bitter tears, before I swore an oath to avenge all Christendom's shame.

Spoiler :

And I have begun to do so. The Zirid dynasty in Africa has dwindled, their lands falling to but Tripoli itself. Gathering my ever-envious cousin Roger of Calabria and his men, we fell upon the Saracens unaware, crushed their armies, and took Tripoli for our own. I am sure that the enemy will react, but already I am preparing to capture Carthage, and more. The chronicles will remember me as a warrior Queen who atoned for her failure before the walls of Jerusalem.

After some protracted negotiations, it was determined that Heinrich's half-brother will inherit the Salian lands in Germany, while Italy will remain in Henry de Hauteville's hands. Still, there are many who say that the boy's claim is illegitimate, for he is not truly a de Hauteville but a Salian. It may be best to carve the boy out his own lands somewhere, perhaps in Africa, and then give Sicily to another branch of our family.

Heaven alone knows there are enough of them.

Spoiler :

OOC: This is before the Franconian succession laws changed to give the Duchy to Heinrich's brother. Tuscany was also pawned off, though Henry may inherit some other Italian lands.

What of the rest of the world? The great battle at Manzikert between the Turk and the Greek was a calamitous draw. The Turks seized Armenia from the vassals of the Basileus, but the mighty fortresses of Anatolia yet hold them at bay. The Turks have turned to fight in the distant East, it is said, to claim Indian gold. The Greek Empire remains very strong...strong enough to make William of Foggia, a distant cousin of mine, bow to them. I replied in kind by capturing the independent Greek enclaves in Barion and Brindisi that have long ignored Imperial control. The Basileus will surely turn his attention to me soon, though for now my power (and that of my husband) surely holds him at bay.

In Hispania, Christian soldiers fare better than they had at Jerusalem. The Kingdom of Navarra has grown great, to eclipse that of Aragon and Barcelona. The Germans, led by my husband, have fought interminable wars in Italy, trying to quell the near-constant rebellions and intrigues of the city states there. Heinrich's father had set up a false pope in Germany to which the Imperial lords bow, and though I have exhorted my husband to dismiss him, he claims that he has not the right. Foolish man. But I am in truth the bride of the one true Church. My husband suffices to give me security, and no more. If he will not abandon his false Pope, let him burn for it.

These sons of Fatim that rule Egypt, and crushed my armies...perhaps one day I will face them again. I dream of their strange dress and their camels, as they charged out of the blinding sandstorm to rout my men. It will be my Henry, I pray, that finally overcomes them.

I have chosen an old courtier to rule Tripoli, a Saracen who converted to the true faith in the days when my grandfather Roger captured Sicily for his own. It is my belief that this Maziba will quell the anger of the people there at being conquered from afar, as he can speak their tongue. To placate my other courtiers I have placed a Norman named Fraunk in charge of the Church. Oh my poor little Henry, would that you had not to deal with the pettiness of men.

Onward, Christian brothers.

Spoiler :

OOC: Setting up vassals of local culture actually really helps in reducing revolt chance, especially in 2.1 that has a super-uber inflated revolt chance until Paradox fixes it. :p I've already had to put down 3 Muslim revolts in Malta alone, 5 revolts total.

So many enemies ;-;

I, for one, can't figure out how to even manage a small duchy without alienating everyone and getting my children to try murdering me.

I enjoy the game as one of the few where everyone conspires to murder you, succeeds, and game-wise as a player, you end up in a better position.

Carthage, or whatever the Sicilian equivalent is. Leptis Magna for what is today western libya. That kind of thing.

So far I've only made major name changes in Southern Italy, where Norman administration has lasted the longest. The Duchy of Calabria is now Calabem, Catanzaro is Cathacem, and Reggio has been reduced to simply Regio. I'll definitely go with Carthage/Berenice if I end up capturing those locations. Mahdia in Africa is another location I'll probably want to rename.

I am waaay too tired to do a proper writeup, but let me feature the major events of Berengaria the Lioness' illustrious reign.

Spoiler :

Palermo has finally converted to the Latin Church, praise the Lord. But the majority of the island remains Orthodox, Sunni, or Yazidi, God save their souls. Culturally, Palermo is Norman, eastern Sicily is Greek and western Sicily is Berber. Hopefully I'll be ruling a lot more of both of those groups soon.

Spoiler :

If I were not roleplaying a devout, chaste, Catholic crusader queen...I would not have let my only son and heir, and a brilliantly promising one at that, disqualify himself from the succession. Under any other circumstances, no. But...I did. Now he's heir to the Prince-Archbishopric of Taranto because the Pope likes me.

Speaking of which...

Spoiler :

Most of the Normans (Capua and Calabem) swore loyalty to me after this point, with the exception of my cousin, the Duchess of Benevento, who I usurped Apulia from. She's still understandably upset about it, but her heir will fall into line eventually.

After Henry's departure to join the Church, my only surviving daughter is married to the King of England's son, so Sicily will most likely become an elective monarchy in order to pass to another branch of the de Hauteville dynasty. Probably my annoying cousin's son Gilbert, so Benevento can be added to the demesne.

Spoiler :

My husband died, and I have no interest in marrying again. His evil brother Markward now rules the Empire. It is time to end these divisions within the Church once and for all. Naturally, King Robert of England, a fellow Norman, honors his alliance, and Italy is cast into a truly epic struggle between Norman and German for the fate of the Holy Church itself.

Spoiler :

The Battle of Aprutium is a narrow victory for the Imperial coalition, but the Normans fight on. In a later battle, King Robert is killed in the fighting and the English army retreats from battle, but even with half of the remaining troops, Empress Berengaria (she still retains the title) manages to rally her troops to crush the German army and annihilate it to a man.

This emboldens us to invade northern Italy, where our army is unfortunately ambushed and routed by another German force. But we are regrouping for another offensive, which is where the game finds us now. In other events, the Greeks were definitively evicted from Foggia, and my cousin Count William has re-sworn allegiance to Norman authority after his decade long flirtation with Byzantium.

So I just played my first game of EU4 with NK, TMG, and Tux, which mostly consisted of my Burgundy getting trainraped by Austria and every German minor with a few pointy sticks. It was fun, though.

I can't figure out why my army keeps getting crushed by slightly smaller enemy forces. Is it my general's fault, or the composition of my army, or something else?

So I just played my first game of EU4 with NK, TMG, and Tux, which mostly consisted of my Burgundy getting trainraped by Austria and every German minor with a few pointy sticks. It was fun, though.

I can't figure out why my army keeps getting crushed by slightly smaller enemy forces. Is it my general's fault, or the composition of my army, or something else?
could it be tech or river crossing? morale? discipline?

Terrain, generals, army composition, crappy rolls, river crossing, tech, discipline, attacking vs defending, etc. Early game you should lure enemies to attacking you on high ground.

Looks like I finally got back to playing CK2. To celebrate, I started a game with the Karling, descendants of Charlemagne.

If you want to get in the mood, I recommend you listen to this while reading this wall of text.
Spoiler :

Surprisingly, I was unable to expand my small county for 2 generations. But, after a happy untimely death of the Duke of Aquitaine, Poitou and Gascony, my fiancee inherited all these lands, and the future looked bright because our son would be the lord of half of France. If he was born, what did not happen.

After the death of my wife the Duchess, our only daughter inherited Aquitaine and Poitou (Gascogne was stolen by some local count during the reign of my wife). To my surprise her kingdom was long (17 years) and prosperous. She took Navarre, and after causing a civil war that split France into two parts, became the queen of Aquitaine and Navarre.

It seems that the Karling women were far more capable that the men who preceded them, a fact that would later be proved with the men who succeeded.

With the queen's death, her son Charles IV ascended to the throne. A brilliant general, adored by his vassals, continued the work of his mother, annexing the duchy of Toulouse slowly. After small but glorious victories, the young King, already very rich, proclaimed the first grand tournament of Aquitaine, of which he was the winner.

A zealous man, he did not hesitate to answer the call of the Pope, who summoned all good Christians to recover the Duchy of Barcelona from the Moors. Leading an army of ten thousand men, he marched to Barcelona, destroying any infidel who dared to stand in his way. Finally, arriving at his destination, he assaulted and captured every miserable castle in the region. Nothing could stop him, or at least that was what I believed.

But Destiny is cruel, and there is nothing that men can do. The mighty Charles IV, King of Aquitaine and Navarre, the Young Knight, fell ill unexpectedly, and there, amid the warm Spanish beaches, he died. All seemed lost, because the king never came to have children in his ten year reign, and his brother, Prince Gilles, had been murdered in the distant lands to the east. Then ascended to the throne the young Prince André then 14 years old. If he died, all would be lost.

Well, even after all this, I kept steady and not rage quited. After all, I had the brilliant idea of ​​playing in Ironman mode. But there was no reason to despair, even though all my vassals hated me and I was stuck in a regency, I still kept a vast fortune inherited from my brother and my grandmother. When the inevitable rebellion actually happened, I smashed it with my mercenaries.

After reaching the age of majority, by following the steps of his brother, André called for a major tournament, of which he was the winner (it seems no one has guts to beat the king). He continued the work of his brother, and won the crusade, acquiring Barcelona, becoming King of Aragon. Then he continued to attach Tolouse, which would soon fall into the hands of the Karling. Obviously, without reason for this, he was nicknamed "the Cruel" (Well, I am only sorry for the poor prisoners in the dungeons of Bordeaux).

But, as with every man of the House Karling, everything went down. During what seemed to be an innocent battle to attach another province of Toulouse, André received the classic blow-to-the-head-that-leaves-you-crippled, and died one month later. Luckily (something rare in this game), André had time to have only one child, Adalbert, who ascended to the throne, not even a year old. I just love when this kind of thing happens.

Using the increasingly meager savings of the family, the (again) young king ended a series of rebellions. Not long after, he was defeated by the King of France and forced to return some measly county of which I never knew how I got, but even so I sacrificed thousands of men to protect it. At this point I finally usurped the title of Duke of Toulouse. And, as tradition dictates, that's when everything started to go wrong. Again.

With my infinite intelligence, I noticed the duchy of Mallorca, alone, without any allies who would come to their rescue. I saw that there was still a bit of money from my ancestors, so I decided to declare a holy war in the Duchy of Malorca. Using nothing but the troops of my vassals, I invaded the islands and started to conquer. As if from nowhere when what appeared to be the entire Muslim Spain joining my enemy, I decided to use my own demesne troops (that I usually keep as a reserve in case of rebellion). When I conquered the main island, I found myself surrounded by three Moorish fleets, eager to disembark hordes of enemies.

That's when I decided to call the Order of Knights Templar, because my coffers were being emptied quickly and I needed to win as soon as possible. Then they came. Even with the advantage of the terrain (mountains) and being on an island, I could do nothing to prevent the landing of the giant horde of Moors. After series of battles, I lost control of the island, and both sides had lost their armies. However, the warscore was in their favor and I was obliged to surrender.

I, who had spent all the money that was left, was forced to pay more than 600 to the Moors, getting into debt. And it was a terrible debt. Soon, all sorts of bandits occupied my precious lands, weakening my military capacity. To reverse this situation, I had to cede the duchies of Navarre and Poitou in exchange for money. However, before I could recover, a small rebellion emerged, and even being so small, the powerful Baby King of Aquitaine, Navarra and Aragon is having trouble suppressing it.

And, if he dies, the kingdom will be divided into three. May the gods have mercy on us.

Calling All Prospective NESers Who Own CK2 AND EU4

I am proposing we attempt an experiment.

A weekly play-session of CK2 which will eventually convert to EU4, beginning in 867 and going all the way to the 19th century. 1000 years of simulated history. Applications of interest will be accepted, weighted in favor of people who have good Paradox experience and weekend availability. You don't have to own the converter DLC since I have it.

People who die will be bumped to the bottom of the alternates list.

We will take a roster of 7, with 3 or more alternates to be slotted in if and when other people don't show up. Please express your interest here and at least two areas where you would like to start, and I will add you as a starter or an alternate depending on how much I like you. If you haven't already, friend me on steam as Atraxes.

Dramatis Personae

1. Thlayli - Italy/Socotra/Brittany

Understudies

Svithjod/Brandenburg or central germany/Anjou/Jewish duke

Top Bottom