FfH2 0.40 Changelog

I think I'm going to miss the Harlequin's spell casting abilities. What was the thinking on this?

I think the Harlequin reduction was to lessen the reward for an alignment change. Plus the Balseraphs have enough crazy powerful strategies. This is unique instead of just powerful. Taunt looks cool.

And woosh. Just like that, there goes those A's I've tried so hard to maintain :D

It's a bit shallow, but I'm most excited about the new "Minor Leaders", followed by the Scenarios. I know the Minor Leaders won't be included in the main game but I'm sure a mod-mod will come along to solve that, and it'd be cool to have an expansion over the previously existing Leader-Civ combinations.

Defensive strikes pretty much work as advertised; only assassins & shadows are immune, cover doesn't lessen them, drill still adds first strikes for the unit that has them, and a unit can do defensive strikes as well as be the defender (and often will). The bonus XP I haven't found to be overpowering due to the low rate of occurance unless you specialize in def. strikes.
Combat odds aren't adjusted to account for def. strikes. It would be a good idea to bring some withdrawl units to use up a defender's def strikes--unless the defender happens to have blitz.

One comment, is there any chance of getting Baron Halfmorn remade as a Doviello hero in the grand campaign? Thematically and in terms of balance, I think he's a perfect fit with them.
He's pretty much integrated into another civ.

I invariably blamed it on grues. What else could make a meal of Hyborem himself, and yet not dare leave the goblin fort it was infesting?

I think the dungeons of Erebus are inhabited by Vashta Nerada. I presume that this change means skilled units learn to use light to keep them off.

Combat odds aren't adjusted to account for def. strikes. It would be a good idea to bring some withdrawl units to use up a defender's def strikes--unless the defender happens to have blitz.

Ugh. This is going to be a pain.
Will the odds at least mention that the enemy has a def strike? The stacks the AI likes to hurl around can be unreadable at times.

He's pretty much integrated into another civ.

That got my attention. Is he's going to be Civ specific now?

10. Magnadine can hire a variety of units in any Hippus city.

Does this mean that he can recruit Mounted Mercenaries? Or will we get a random assortment of units?

I find it kind of sad that the Hippus UU requires a wonder to be built. Giving Magnadine the ability to recruit UUS would be fabulous!

Are any of the scenarios going to cover Varn attempting to avenge his late wife Talia?

He really should bring Basium along :crazyeye:

[Struggles to keep silent.]
[Fails saving roll due to one week remaining.]
I'm only .2% less in the dark than you are, but the story I think you refer to is a scenario intro; Kael sent it to me when he asked me to do the writing for Keelyn, as an example of what an intro should look like.
Also, Lethe, the Queen of Sorrow and the demoness responsible for Talia's death, is listed in the changelog as a minor leader.

That got my attention. Is he's going to be Civ specific now?
I'm sorry, I was thinking of something else. Yes, he is Doviello minor leader, but we don't plan on limiting his use in the main game.
Ugh. This is going to be a pain.
Will the odds at least mention that the enemy has a def strike? The stacks the AI likes to hurl around can be unreadable at times.
Well, defensive strike is never certain. Out of all the archers and units with drill promotions, any of them could potentially have def. strikes--though each only once until their next turn, unless they have blitz. They will each have about a 5-50% chance, depending on unit class and promotions. So any eligible unit might use their def strike, though only one per attack. They'll also all be doing different amounts of damage.
So it isn't something that can be accounted for in the odds. That doesn't mean it is unpredictable, if there are archers in the stack they might use it. If those archers have drill, there's a pretty good chance one of them will. So send in a couple dispossable--or withdrawl--units first.

How does Defensive Strike work from a game process aspect. If it has to check every unit in a stack before combat and run thru hit/not hit, damage/no damage is it going to slow the game down any?

I can answer that one Nimbus, answer is 'no' unless you have stacks of a few hundred. The number of game checks just to do a 'goto' command are significantly greater.

This will be the final version of Fall from Heaven II.
:sad:

Is 0.40 the famous ICE version? Kael's 1st post does not mention it at all...

It makes me VERY sad to know that we reach somehow the end of a path. I followed it for almost 2 years, and I now feel that the kids are now ready for a life on their own: bye bye home, hello nostalgia...
Each time a new version came, it was renewing the pleasure by allowing me to experiment with new concepts, erase old strategies (Ah! Conjurers? Or Mage?... which arcane path should I take...), get use to new leaders (Decius), see new wonders, new challenges, new maps (Erebus), etc...

FFH is among some other games I played for more than 1 year, almost continuously. For the last 22 years I had a computer and a game in it, only Civ2, Diablo 1 and 2, Sudden Strike and Oblivion managed to stay for more than 1 year the game I played almost exclusively. Civ4 should have been on the list, and it felt short... because I discovered FFH...

Well...
I am going to do with this 0.40 as I do when I eat something I like very much: I eat the dish very very slowly ...

Only 1 word for all the pleasure given by FFH: Merci.

Top Bottom