Announcing Civilization Network!

First of all, I think this will be the first application that I would add to my Facebook, and bunch of them are bad anyway (Mafia wars?? Stupid).

Too bad they blocked my Facebook at work. But since I don't have time to play regular version (of Civ 4), any Civ is more than welcome.

And I trust Sid will not let us down.

Poasting in a thread Sid Meier made. O_o

And this is the first i have heard of it I am super out of touch.

First of all, I think this will be the first application that I would add to my Facebook, and bunch of them are bad anyway (Mafia wars?? Stupid).

Too bad they blocked my Facebook at work. But since I don't have time to play regular version (of Civ 4), any Civ is more than welcome.

And I trust Sid will not let us down.

lol same here

I started playing FB games just to see what the platform offers as a gaming environment. The 'map' is central to how Civ plays, yet none of the FB games incude any kind of complex dynammic map functions. I have a lot of respect for Sid, but for the life of me I can't see how the Civ experience can be replicated-- even poorly so-- without a strategy map being a central feature. Will FB 'open up' their platform sufficiently for a civ-style map?

I started playing FB games just to see what the platform offers as a gaming environment. The 'map' is central to how Civ plays, yet none of the FB games incude any kind of complex dynammic map functions. I have a lot of respect for Sid, but for the life of me I can't see how the Civ experience can be replicated-- even poorly so-- without a strategy map being a central feature. Will FB 'open up' their platform sufficiently for a civ-style map?
Facebook is really just a games portal. What the games look and play like is completely up to the developers. So if Sid wants to put in a map there's nothing stopping him.

Mr. Meier,

It is an honor to post on your thread, sir! Your wonderful, creative work in the computer gaming industry has brought so much joy and happiness to millions of people. I can't tell you how many hours of pure fun I have had playing and modding Civilization 4 alone.

I completely understand the reasons behind creating a Civilization Network game that will live in the incredibly popular social networks that are all the rage these days. It doesn't take much brain horsepower for the average person to realize that this will be wildly successful. Another clever and smart business model from Sid Meier!

But I must also say that personally, and I am not alone, I do not participate in these social networks beyond trying them out here and there, and my hope of hopes is that we will also see a Civilization 5 at some point, for the PC. Please don't forget about us hardcore grognards out here!

Having said all that, I would certainly dust off my Facebook account to play a game created by Sid Meier, because there is no doubt it will be a treat. Perhaps Civ Networks will lead us all into social networking, who knows?

Keep up the great work, you, sir, are a rockstar.

-c

Mr. Meier,

It is an honor to post on your thread, sir! Your wonderful, creative work in the computer gaming industry has brought so much joy and happiness to millions of people. I can't tell you how many hours of pure fun I have had playing and modding Civilization 4 alone.

I completely understand the reasons behind creating a Civilization Network game that will live in the incredibly popular social networks that are all the rage these days. It doesn't take much brain horsepower for the average person to realize that this will be wildly successful. Another clever and smart business model from Sid Meier!

But I must also say that personally, and I am not alone, I do not participate in these social networks beyond trying them out here and there, and my hope of hopes is that we will also see a Civilization 5 at some point, for the PC. Please don't forget about us hardcore grognards out here!

Having said all that, I would certainly dust off my Facebook account to play a game created by Sid Meier, because there is no doubt it will be a treat. Perhaps Civ Networks will lead us all into social networking, who knows?

Keep up the great work, you, sir, are a rockstar.

-c

I agree completely.
Great to hear from you Mr. Meier! :goodjob:

Looking for Civ5/PC and also Alpha Centauri2 maybe? :rolleyes:

I agree completely.
Great to hear from you Mr. Meier! :goodjob:

Looking for Civ5/PC and also Alpha Centauri2 maybe? :rolleyes:

I thought that SMAC wasn't actually made by Sid and he wanted his name taken off it. I'm not sure about it. Also it's EA, so it needs to move to 2K.

I'd actually like a Sid Meier's Pirates! 2.

I thought that SMAC wasn't actually made by Sid and he wanted his name taken off it. I'm not sure about it. Also it's EA, so it needs to move to 2K.

Test of Time was made after Meier left the company to form Firaxis, which made Alpha Centauri.

i think SMAC is his. but as it doesn't have threads in this forum, maybe you are right. i don't know.
but are you sure, you are not confusing with call to power?

Test of Time was made after Meier left the company to form Firaxis, which made Alpha Centauri.
Hmm ok. that still makes SMAC a game of Mr. Meier i suppose. as most of the work still seems to be made with him according to the info you gave.

When you reach Sid's level, you tend to stop bothering with the actual designing yourself. There's a reason Soren Johnson gets interviewed so much.
That's not actually true of Sid. I remember reading somewhere that he did all of the design and gameplay programming for Civ Revolution. So it seems like he does still do hands-on design, just not with every Firaxis game.

Civ on facebook?? Found out today, a nice reason to open my facebook for the first time this month:) Registered as a "fan" whatever that means. Like I'm not, before I click that button??

i think SMAC is his. but as it doesn't have threads in this forum, maybe you are right. i don't know.
but are you sure, you are not confusing with call to power?

Sorry, I forgot to respond :p

The guy who told me was a tech major who was working at the embassy with me. We got into a discussion about Civ one lunch and I asked about SMAC and he told me that story.

I played a online game recently called EVONY and really enjoyed some of the features there.
The game have some features that i would like to see in Civilization network. Like the HUGE world and the time limits on troop movement which makes it more difficult to take over the world in "one big raid" because to move across the world takes several days.

Well i can't wait for the first preview of this game!

// Huge civ fan from Sweden

Evony is quite possibly the worst recent gaming phenomenon to be taking example from. Not only is the game bad, the people running it have made various unethical decisions that hurt games as a form of entertainment they are. One only needs to look at the offensive advertising strategy they take or the cold and vicious libel lawsuits aimed at an honest games-blogger Bruce Everiss who correctly identified a link between the company and a well-known WoW gold-mining business.

It actually saddens me to see someone thinking it worthy of using for inspiration for a game series as respected as civ. Then again, we are talking about a facebook app.

/rant

Top Bottom