Iran accepts new deal; Australia remains vigilant

Tani Coyote

Son of Huehuecoyotl
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/8494939.stm

Spoiler :
The US and key allies have called on Iran to match its words with actions after it appeared to accept a deal to swap enriched uranium for nuclear fuel.

President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said Iran would have "no problem" if most of its stock was held for several months before being returned as fuel rods.

The US said that if this was a new offer, it was "prepared to listen".

Germany's foreign minister said "only actions" counted and his French counterpart said he was "perplexed".

Soon after the Iranian statement, state TV announced the successful launch of a satellite rocket carrying an "experimental capsule".

The White House described the rocket launch as "a provocative act".

"But the president believes that it is not too late for Iran to do the right thing - come to the table with the international community and live up to its international obligations", White House spokesman Bill Burton was quoted as saying by Reuters news agency.

The West is concerned about Iran's growing missile technology and possible links to its nuclear programme.

Iran insists its nuclear development and rocket programme are entirely peaceful.

A deal struck in October between Iran, the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) and the so-called P5+1 - the US, Russia, China, UK, France plus Germany - envisaged Iran sending about 70% of its low-enriched uranium to Russia and France where it would be processed into fuel for a research reactor.

But last month, diplomats said Iran had told the IAEA that it did not accept the terms of the deal and had instead demanded a simultaneous exchange on its territory.

Then, in a state TV interview on Tuesday, President Ahmadinejad dismissed the concerns of his "colleagues" that the West would retain the uranium.

"We have no problem sending our enriched uranium abroad," he said.

"We say, 'We will give you our 3.5% enriched uranium,' and will get the fuel. It may take four to five months until we get the fuel."

BBC Tehran correspondent Jon Leyne, reporting from London, says there will still be scepticism about whether President Ahmadinejad's offer is anything more than a delaying tactic designed to fend off fresh sanctions.

'A bit pessimistic'

A White House official told the BBC: "If Mr Ahmadinejad's comments reflect an updated Iranian position, we look forward to Iran informing the IAEA."

The official added: "If Iran has something new to say, we are prepared to listen."

The British Foreign Office also said that it "looked forward" to Tehran notifying the IAEA.

A spokesman at the IAEA in Vienna told AFP news agency it had nothing to add to its earlier statements.

Moscow gave a guarded response to the Iranian offer, with Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov saying it would welcome Iran's return to the scheme

But the French Foreign Minister, Bernard Kouchner, suggested the Iranians were stalling and said he was "perplexed and even a bit pessimistic" about Tehran's offer.

German Foreign Minister Guido Westerwelle told reporters that Iran had to be "measured by its actions, not by what it says" and that it was up to Iran to "show an end to its refusal to negotiate".

Mr Ahmadinejad also said there were negotiations about a possible prisoner swap for several Iranians jailed in the US for the three American hikers currently being held in Iran.

"There are some talks under way to have an exchange, if it is possible," he said. "We are hopeful that all prisoners will be released."

Mr Ahmadinejad did not go into detail, but in December Tehran released a list of 11 Iranians it says are being held in US prisons, including a nuclear scientist who disappeared in Saudi Arabia and a former defence ministry official who vanished in Turkey.

The US has denied any knowledge of their whereabouts.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8497459.stm

Spoiler :
Australia has blocked three shipments to Iran because of fears the contents could have been for Tehran's nuclear programme, PM Kevin Rudd has said.

Mr Rudd told Australian radio Defence Minister John Faulkner had used powers under the Weapons of Mass Destruction Act to block the shipments.

But he declined to say when this happened or what the cargos were.

Mr Rudd defended Australia's actions, saying continuing strong international pressure on Tehran was essential.

"If you look at the threat to regional and global peace which Iran poses in its current nuclear weapons programme, there is no alternative other than robust international action including in areas such as this," Mr Rudd told public broadcaster ABC.

"We believe that national security, the national security interests of Australia, also demand this course of action," he added.

He said that Australia had acted "because we believe we must play the role of a responsible international citizen".

The Australian newspaper reported at least one of the banning orders, all made in recent months, had blocked a cargo of pumps that could have been used to cool nuclear power plants.

"If you look at the status of Iran's nuclear weapons programme and their consistent thumbing of the nose to the International Atomic Energy Agency, the international community more broadly... there are no alternatives other than to maintain a hard line," Mr Rudd said.

On Wednesday the United States circulated a discussion paper on possible further UN sanctions on Iran because of Tehran's nuclear programme.

This came as Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad apparently accepted a UN-brokered deal allowing Iran to send most of its low-enriched uranium abroad in return for research reactor fuel rods.

The US and its allies fear Iran is attempting to develop nuclear weapons. Iran insists its nuclear programme is entirely peaceful.

Didn't see anything on either of these, so I figured I would share them. (This is my first news thread! :goodjob: )

My thoughts are that maybe, just maybe, the Iranians have stopped being foolish and have decided that working with the West has far more benefits than being enemies with it. I do, however, think that any leader should be skeptical - all leaders are humans, after all, and all humans have motives and agendas - and I'm glad most of those involved around the nuclear deal are.

I also applaud Australia for taking the necessary action to protect not only it's own citizens, but all the world's citizens, from possible harm. Good to see the Aussies are being fairly responsible world police in this regard.

What are your thoughts on all of this? Has Iran finally decided to stop being so stubborn and finally agree to work with the West? Or is it just an attempt to buy time? What about Australia's unilateral behavior?

Iran already rejected this offer, after delaying it for months. Also, I think that if they really wanted a deal they'd notify the IAEA and not the media. My guess is that it's just another attempt to gain some more time and to give China and Russia something to use when they object more sanctions of Iran.

Having said that, if Iran really will notify the IAEA and put its words into actions, as the deal demands, it would be a step forward.

The deal's still alive, apparently.

The Age

Iran urged to follow up on nuclear U-turn
ANDREW GULLY
February 4, 2010 - 2:39PM

The United States and key allies urged Iran Wednesday to follow up on a surprise U-turn from President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad by formally committing to a UN-brokered deal to swap enriched uranium for nuclear fuel.

But there was also alarm and the renewed threat of new sanctions as Ahmadinejad's apparent overture to the West on the nuclear issue was quickly followed by a rocket launch into space deemed by the White House "a provocative act."

Ahmadinejad bamboozled his critics on Tuesday by suggesting that a deal struck last October envisaging Iran sending some 70 percent of its low-enriched uranium abroad was suddenly back on.

Conscious his remarks could simply be timed to stave off new sanctions at an upcoming meeting of world powers, the White House urged Iran to contact the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), the UN watchdog that brokered the original deal.

"If those comments indicate some sort of change in position for Iran, then president Ahmadinejad should let the IAEA know," said deputy White House spokesman Bill Burton.

Iran needs nuclear fuel to power its UN-monitored reactor, but the West fears its uranium enrichment program is masking efforts to produce atomic weapons -- claims vehemently denied by the Islamic republic.Chronology: The twists and turns of Iran nuclear fuel deal

The IAEA has proposed, in a bid to allay Western fears about Iran's atomic ambitions, that Tehran ship out its low-enriched uranium (LEU) to Russia and France to be further purified into reactor fuel.

Iran, which agreed in principle to the offer during talks with world powers in Geneva in October, later appeared to reject the deal and said it preferred a gradual swap of LEU with fuel -- preferably on Iranian soil.

It had given the West until January 31 to respond to its counter-proposals.

Iran's apparent change of heart received a cautious welcome from the P5+1 -- UN Security Council veto-wielding permanent members Britain, China, France, Russia and the United States plus Germany -- which has been leading international efforts to engage Iran.

Britain's Foreign Office said: "If Iran is willing to take up the IAEA's proposed offer, it would be a positive sign of their willingness to engage with the international community on nuclear issues."

But it said that desire must be made "clear" to the IAEA and Ahmadinejad's comment "does not change" the need for Iran to hold talks with the P5+1.

"Iran has to make concrete commitments to the IAEA and a concrete answer in Vienna is the only measure on which it can be assessed," German government spokesman Ulrich Wilhelm said.

But hours after Ahmadinejad said on state television that Iran would have "no problem" sending its stocks of low-enriched uranium abroad, the launch of a new Iranian space rocket drew fresh international criticism.

"This announcement can only reinforce the concerns of the international community as Iran in parallel develops a nuclear program that has no identifiable civil aims," a French foreign ministry spokesman said.

The launch Wednesday of the Kavoshgar 3 (Explorer) rocket -- a home-built satellite carrying a rat, turtles and worms -- was Iran's first experiment with such space technology.

The West suspects Iran is secretly trying to build an atomic bomb and fears the technology used to launch space rockets could be diverted into developing long-range ballistic missiles capable of carrying nuclear warheads.

Iran strongly denies that either its space or atomic energy programs are intended to build a bomb.

The United States said Tuesday it hoped to consult with China and the other P5+1 powers in coming days on the Iranian nuclear issue, but gave no precise date for a meeting.

If Ahmadinejad was simply paying lip-service to a deal to try and avoid stiffer sanctions then the move appeared to have back-fired.

President Barack Obama's warning last week that Iran's leaders would suffer "growing consequences" if they ignored international obligations meant tough sanctions were in the offing, US Defense Secretary Robert Gates said Wednesday.

"I think in the near-term it's more likely to be severe sanctions imposed partly by the UN Security Council and partly by the United States and like-minded countries," Gates said when asked about Obama's warning.

And French Prime Minister Francois Fillon said he would ask the United Nations to adopt a new resolution against Iran, warning it would include "strong sanctions."

"The Iranian regime has not taken our offers of dialogue... the time has therefore come to react," he said.

© 2010 AFP
This story is sourced direct from an overseas news agency as an additional service to readers. Spelling follows North American usage, along with foreign currency and measurement units.

The deal's still alive, apparently.

The Age

Hmm, this will certainly be interesting to follow.

Now that the talk of sanctions has become that much closer to reality, Ahmadinejad will hopefully abandon his hardline stance in the face of a greater hardline stance from the outside world... I'm positive Australia's actions are just the tip of the iceberg. Do you suppose he will, in fact, agree to work with the West, or that, as many fear, he's just stalling on-and-off to buy time and ease the chance of being sanctioned?

On the issue itself, I'll confess I don't really know how the UN sanction system works. Is the Security Council involved or not? If so, China or Russia may pose a big problem, even if they seem semi-willing to assist the West on the nuclear issue. But regardless, without their help, I think any actions the West take will in the end, be worthless, as Russia and China could surely assist them in the nuclear program instead(though I don't know the specifics of the Russian or Chinese nuclear programs either).

P.S. Off-topic, but what is your avatar of, Tailless?

Now that the talk of sanctions has become that much closer to reality, Ahmadinejad will hopefully abandon his hardline stance in the face of a greater hardline stance from the outside world... I'm positive Australia's actions are just the tip of the iceberg. Do you suppose he will, in fact, agree to work with the West, or that, as many fear, he's just stalling on-and-off to buy time and ease the chance of being sanctioned?

The latter, probably. The nuclear thing can certainly be used as a bargaining chip, though, as Libya did.

On the issue itself, I'll confess I don't really know how the UN sanction system works. Is the Security Council involved or not? If so, China or Russia may pose a big problem, even if they seem semi-willing to assist the West on the nuclear issue.

UN sanctions against Iran (and other "rogue states") have in fact been blocked before by China and Russia. However, Russia is growing frustrated with Ahmadinajad's games (and, really, I don't think an unstable country with an anti-foreign regime led by quasi-jihadist nutcases armed with a nuclear weapon near its border is not something Russia would like). China may veto but usually in the past it did not care enough about issues outside its direct sphere of interests to impose a unilateral veto.

P.S. Off-topic, but what is your avatar of, Tailless?

My character from DRAW Your Own Story.

The Iranians talked about a possible involvement of Brazil in the deal, days after talks between the chancellors.
And there are rumor of Brazilian interest in the iranian ballistic technology or about nuclear cooperation.

I don't like much these secret talks.

I don't like much these secret talks.
The program of the world's peace, therefore, is our program; and that program, the only possible program, as we see it, is this: open covenants of peace, openly arrived at, after which there shall be no private international understandings of any kind but diplomacy shall proceed always frankly and in the public view.

Iran is simply stalling. Sooner or later the Isrealies will take out their nuke program because they're the only ones with the balls to do what must be done.

The program of the world's peace, therefore, is our program; and that program, the only possible program, as we see it, is this: open covenants of peace, openly arrived at, after which there shall be no private international understandings of any kind but diplomacy shall proceed always frankly and in the public view.

And everyone proceeded to ignore that, pretty much...

And everyone proceeded to ignore that, pretty much...
And that's why we don't have world peace!

!!!!!!!!!11111111

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/8501613.stm

In Germany, Manouchehr Mottaki said a deal to send enriched uranium overseas in exchange for nuclear fuel could be reached in a "not too distant future".

China, opposed to imposing new sanctions against Tehran, said talks with the international community had reached a "crucial stage".

There was no reaction to Mr Mottaki's comments from Western delegates.

The US and its allies fear Iran is attempting to develop nuclear weapons. Iran insists its nuclear programme is peaceful in purpose.

The BBC Tehran correspondent Jon Leyne, reporting from London, says the strong suspicion is that the Iranian remarks are just another attempt to fend off new sanctions being proposed by the United States.

Mr Mottaki made his comments after deciding to join the Munich conference - a major international gathering of security officials - at the last minute.

He told a late-night audience that "conducive ground" on a nuclear fuel deal had been reached.

"Under the present conditions that we have reached, I think that we are approaching a final agreement that can be accepted by all parties," he said.

"[The] Islamic republic of Iran has shown it is serious about doing this, and we have shown it at the highest level," he said.

Diplomatic Manoeuvring

But Mr Mottaki did not mention the key issue of timing and insisted that the quantity of fuel involved should be up to Iran.

In January, diplomats said Iran had informed the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) that it did not accept the terms of a deal agreed in October by Iran, the IAEA and the so-called P5+1 - the US, Russia, China, UK and France plus Germany.

In response, the US, Britain and France have been pressing for more sanctions and earlier this week circulated a discussion paper on further possible measures against the country.

The move came despite recent comments by Iran's President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad indicating that the country would have "no problem" sending much of its low-enriched uranium abroad so it could be processed into fuel - an arrangement envisaged by the October agreement.

Western diplomats reacted warily to Mr Ahmadinejad's comments.

But China's Foreign Minister Yang Jiechi told the Munich conference that the P5+1 should remain patient and keep pursuing a diplomatic solution to the issue.

"The parties concerned should, with the overall and long-term interests in mind, step up diplomatic efforts, stay patient and adopt a more flexible, pragmatic and proactive policy," he said.

"The purpose is to seek a comprehensive, long-term and proper solution through dialogue and negotiations."

Hmm. I do hope something mutually-beneficial is reached.

I still say keep an eye on them. I don't trust zealots of any ideology with weapons, or even the thought of them having weapons.

In the meantime, however, Western nuclear powers could profit from exploiting this, aye?

...I didn't hope hard enough.... :( Curse you faith for being so worthless!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/8502705.stm

Iran makes new uranium enrichment challenge

Iran's President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has asked the country's nuclear chief to begin enriching uranium to 20%.

The move comes amid a worsening stand-off over a Western offer for Iran to swap enriched uranium for nuclear fuel.

The West fears Iran is trying to develop nuclear weapons - and have threatened new sanctions. Iran insists its programme is peaceful.

The US defence secretary urged the world to "stand together", saying there was still time for sanctions to work.

"Pressures that are focused on the government of Iran, as opposed to the people of Iran, potentially have greater opportunity to achieve the objective," Robert Gates said during a visit to Italy.

In London, the Foreign Office said Mr Ahmadinejad's announcement was "clearly a matter of serious concern".

"This would be a deliberate breach of five UNSCRs [United Nations Security Council Resolutions]," it said in a statement.

In January, diplomats said Iran had informed the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) that it did not accept the terms of the deal agreed in October by Iran, the IAEA and the P5+1 - the US, Russia, China, UK and France plus Germany.

Earlier this week, the US, Britain and France circulated a discussion paper on further possible sanctions against Tehran.

But China says the P5+1 must remain patient and keep pursuing a diplomatic solution to the issue.

Red line

Mr Ahmadinejad made the announcement on Iranian state television - two days after his foreign minister said a deal on swapping enriched uranium for nuclear fuel was close - a claim greeted with scepticism by Western powers.

"I had said let us give them [Western powers] two to three months, and if they don't agree, we would start ourselves," Mr Ahmadinejad said in a speech broadcast live.

"Now Dr [Ali Akbar] Salehi, start to make the 20% with the centrifuges," the president said, addressing Iran's nuclear chief who was sitting in the audience at a laser technology plant in Tehran.

Civilian nuclear power requires uranium enriched to about 3%. Weapons grade uranium needs to be enriched to 90%.

The BBC Tehran correspondent Jon Leyne, reporting from London, says Mr Ahmadinejad's announcement crosses a significant red line.

Iran says it wants to supply a research reactor with highly enriched uranium following the breakdown of the international deal to provide fuel for it.

But some Western analysts say Iran does not possess the technical know-how to make fuel rods for the reactor, our correspondent says, and Western countries fear this could be a stepping stone towards the manufacture of weapons-grade material.

At the very least, this is a provocative act which will make negotiations more difficult, our correspondent says.

Existing UN sanctions are meant to prevent the flow of any items or technology which might aid Iran in enriching uranium or developing nuclear weapon delivery systems.

The sanctions range from actual sales or supplies to dealings with named individuals.

...Well. This certainly makes things a bit more tense, now doesn't it?

What are your thoughts on all of this? Has Iran finally decided to stop being so stubborn and finally agree to work with the West? Or is it just an attempt to buy time? What about Australia's unilateral behavior?

German Foreign Minister Guido Westerwelle told reporters that Iran had to be "measured by its actions, not by what it says" and that it was up to Iran to "show an end to its refusal to negotiate".

That sums up my thoughts nicely on this idea. Words mean nothing, show me some actions in the right direction Ahmadinejad, and I'll be content. I've played way too much Diplomacy to take anything anyone says at face value :lol:.

I've played way too much Diplomacy to take anything anyone says at face value :lol:.
Oh hell, I forgot about orders. So long, winning position...:mad:

excellent use of the semicolon! :love:

Huh, I wish the west would find its balls and punish Iran, with or without the support of the obstructionists aka China and Russia.

Top Bottom