Jaguar Empire, or how to build an empire using Jaguar Warriors

fallfromgrace

Chieftain
Hello there all, my first post here.

Would like to introduce myself with the strategy that best served me.(Considering that most would likely be migrating to Civ4, I'd better post somehing for posterity.)

Civ : Vanilla
Aztecs.
Style:Relentless Warmonger
Difficulty Level: Monarch and Emperor
Win Types: Domination, Elimination and Space Race
Impossible Win Types : Diplomacy and Cultural.

The core of this strategy is a simply dominating by continously producing Jaguar Warriors.

Pros: Cheap and Fast; Can move two spaces and retreat.
Cons: Not really upgradable, though far as this strategy is concerned the Jags are better than swordmans.

Once you build your capital city, build Barracks and then starts to build Jags and only jags.granary is the only exception to this.

Quickly find the nearset civ, and start a war. You'll lose out on the early GA but its immaterial. Once you capture the enemy city, continue producing jags. Take over the next city, and repeat the process. Stop once in a while to extort techs. (You don't need to research tax at all, as early on the AI's are eager for peace). As you repeat this, you'll quickly be able to amass a large jaguar army.

Eliminate, or reduce the civ to restart points. Then get the next civ, and repeat. This should be done by order of proximity. The only exception to this is when dealing with Persia. The immortals are the only unit than can is imprevious to large numbers of jags.

The battles will quickly gain Leaders. Use the leader to rush great wonders. The most important being the pyramids and sun tzu's. Don't be afraid to just use the leaders for whatever available wonder though. You can only have one leader at a time, and as you're continously on warfare it is quickly replenishable.

Capital city : Barrack, Jag, Jag, Granary, Jag, Jags.....
Next Cities : Barrack, Jag, Jags.....

Once you've build the pyramids, you're production will be much faster, and you can occasionally slip in a few temple's. This is the only thing to be built and nothing else.

With the temple's, sistine chapel and other wonders you'll be able to set "defensive" cultural points so that the cities won't flip and maybe make a few of your citizen happy along the way.

Key Points:

i) as a singularly offense power, you'll be very weak at defense. Avoid defensive wars at all cost.

ii)The most important point in this strategy is speed. Once a rval civ gets musketman, the jag's can't touch them.

By this time you should already be number 1 in terms of land and number of cities. In Emperor, at this point, I will usually have two rival civ, that have achieve this. One or two civ that is on the way of being elimianted and the rest already eliminated. In a Huge map at this point I would own about 80-100 cities with 300+ jags.

iii) Here you have to transation from warfare to industrialness. As you've almost built nothing before this, other than captured workeres, you will be behind in production and the tech race. From mass producing jags, now you have to mass produce workers. Build as many workers as possible, as your ecenomy permits, they'll be a lot of land needs developing.

The sheer number of jaguar warriors and workers, will be intensely costly.(despotism is the only form of goverment that will not bankrupt you)

The happiness slider bar will have to be set at 0% and the science bar as minimal as possible. Despotism is the only way. You cant disband the jags as this is the only thing that's really stopping the other civ from declaring war. Being nicer of course should be tried, but at most you will get annoyed, wih the occasional polite.

iv)You'll be way behind on the tech race, 5 or more in Emperor, but fret not. Once you start to develop you'll be able to trade your resources( due to your territory volume you would have far more resources) for techs or far more likely gpt's in Emperor.

v) Once all your cities are connected to trade routes, you can do what I like to call a "mass whipping" on all your unproductive cities. Focus on libraries and aqueducts.

vi) Your empire will only be really developed during the space age. The focus to build buildings means your army will still be 90% jag, but for the most part the other civ's have rarely, make that almost never wage war on me. Once all the improvements are built, you can start merging the the now excess workers into your cities, providing a huge jump in productivity. You can start building tanks, mech, icbm and space parts with impunity now.

vii)They'll be hundred of workers. Just automate them, unless your a real maschosists. However you do have to micromanage yur pop happiness. I usually cycle through all the cities 5 turns or so, to keep things checked.

At this point, wars with tanks and mechs are usually pointless affairs. The possible exceptions are of course, your rivals most likely will be missing critical resources, so sometimes war is still viable. However at this point a spaceship is much faster and less painful.

A variation of this strategy is possible using Germany, replacing the Jags with archers.
Pros: Much easier to transition from warfare to industrial. You also will be generated next to france, as they're the ones that is most likely to be a pain the butt once you reach the space ahe, elimiating them early is a plus.

Cons: Archer army is less potent than jag army.

While playing german in monarch I did once become an industrial powerhouse. 6000 or so gp, by 2050 Was fighting a war with both to disrupt their space plan. I had researched 4 future techs, have built the SDi before the other 2. And started a nuclear war with 84 ICBM in store, literally nuke every other city.

However this was only a one time thing and never did manage to replicate it .

I've been able to consitently win using this strategy, with elimination and domination in Monarch, and space race in Emperor. I'm usually 1000 to 2000 ahead on the histograph.

Pros: Almost unbeatable ( I've never lost on this strategy, once I've perfected it. And I think its fairly intuitive)

Cons : Rather repetitve, actually very repetitive. And it doesn't really teaches you for diplomacy or cultural victory.

Hope you test it though and enjoy.

1840 Domination Victory, Emperor, 11000 Histograph Points, 110000 Culture Points

if you try to accomplish victory that way, it completely spoils the fun of the game. you have to explore the many different units and possibilities in the game, besides just moving warriors to go kill any spearmen and take over cities. the repetition is comepletely pointless. there are much better units than jaguar warriors by the way, and you should try to exercise all those options when you play.

It is far less as simplistic as that. You have to learn on how to efficiently change from a warmonger to an industrial nation, how to race back up the tech race(especially in Emperor), how to deal with really crippling corruption, ballancing culture and growth and so on. It is a challenging strat.

I didn't really fully explore the whole strats, one it woud have taken too long to write and two, it would lose the fun of self learning.

Anyways, it is a fun way of playing if you like eliminating other civs and seeing the world largely in your colour.

Anyways I didn't imply in anyway that jaguar warriors is the best unit in any way.

way2hot2becool said:
if you try to accomplish victory that way, it completely spoils the fun of the game. you have to explore the many different units and possibilities in the game, besides just moving warriors to go kill any spearmen and take over cities. the repetition is comepletely pointless. there are much better units than jaguar warriors by the way, and you should try to exercise all those options when you play.

lol, unless you are playing Tiny 80% with only one rival, Jaguar rushing is more of an opening then a game plan. Jaguars will not singlehandedly allow you to conquer the entire world, they simply become obsolete too fast. However they can allow you to cripple your neighbours early and give an advantage that may last through the entire game. I loved the Aztecs in vanilla, but have yet to play them in C3C. Jags are now 15 shields right? I don't like that very much. :( Oh well, AGR owns. :crazyeye:

ac196nataku said:
lol, unless you are playing Tiny 80% with only one rival, Jaguar rushing is more of an opening then a game plan. Jaguars will not singlehandedly allow you to conquer the entire world, they simply become obsolete too fast. However they can allow you to cripple your neighbours early and give an advantage that may last through the entire game. I loved the Aztecs in vanilla, but have yet to play them in C3C. Jags are now 15 shields right? I don't like that very much. :( Oh well, AGR owns. :crazyeye:

Ermm I always play on Large maps, second largest, with the default rival AI's, 7.

And I did conquer the world by singlehandedly using Jaguars, see the accompanying screenshot. With execption to Persia and Iriquios, I eleminated all the other civs using Jaguars.:D They go obselete fast, yeah, but you can play even faster.

ac196nataku said:
You exclusively used Jags until 1842AD? I highly doubt that.

No I didn't exclusively use Jags until 1842AD. However all the 5 civ I eliminated, I used Jags.

fallfromgrace said:
And I did conquer the world by singlehandedly using Jaguars, see the accompanying screenshot.

Then you didn't. :) However, I still think three of them were eliminated rather late to be using Jags, but whatever. (America ~750AD, Germany ~800AD, Russia ~1010AD) I'm not going argue over something that's not important. :crazyeye:

EDIT- Nevermind, looking at it closer, it looks like both Germany and Russia got pinched really hard early on, so I guess they rebuilt after you essientially smashed them.

The point of this topic is Jaguars are quite effective when, well, used effectively and I agree with that.

I dunno - civ3 is a game of economics as well as power.

at 15 shields, a town can build a vet jag in 3 turns on a minimally corrupt size 4 city with two forest and a irrigated plain (say) under despotism.

And the fact that they will retreat helps reduce their loss ratio, as well, which is a good thing.

I would think that Knights would kick their ass, though, since they can't retreat from them.

This method seems kinda weird. First build a barrack and never build settlers during the expansion phase? That goes agansit everything I heard in civ camp! Sounds powerful though. I will try it.

Top Bottom