Bug Reporting

@Sheryl - Thank you for testing that for us. I'll see if my workaround fixes the issue, and then I'll need to "unfix" it once Firaxis issues an update.

@OSaft - You are correct. The code that I'm using (many mods use it) barfs on "#" as a comment character. Maybe this weekend I can try swapping in a different parser, but I'd rather spend time on new features. In the meantime, I'll add "Modular Loading" to the BUG Mod.ini so Civ4 doesn't add its own.

Thanks for clarifying that. I didn't recognize you were pointing out the comment -- I was focused on the key and value. :)

@OSaft - You are correct. The code that I'm using (many mods use it) barfs on "#" as a comment character. Maybe this weekend I can try swapping in a different parser, but I'd rather spend time on new features. In the meantime, I'll add "Modular Loading" to the BUG Mod.ini so Civ4 doesn't add its own.
Not sure about this but I thought someone looked at the particular code that reads the ini files and the ';' (or '#') code is hard coded. If it is, it should be fairly easy to put in an 'or'.

Yes the fix is easy

configobj.py line 1298
Code:
            # do we have anything on the line ?
            if not sline or sline.startswith('#'):

change to :

Code:
            # do we have anything on the line ?
            if not sline or sline.startswith('#') or sline.startswith(';'):

way to go ... :goodjob:

Thanks, OSaft. That along with a minor change elsewhere seems to work. Let me know if you have any trouble with the change. It's in SVN.

There seems to be a bug in the alerts with regards to Permanent Alliances.

I have BUG set to alert me if some other civ has more than 10 gold per turn to trade. In my last game, I kept gettig the message " has 11 gold per turn to trade.", i.e. the civ name was missing. The only civ that had 11 gpt/month to trade at this time was Hatshepsut. Hatshepsut had forged a permanent alliance with Isabella. I didn't notice the bug before the alliance was forged.

So my guess is that the alert code cannot cope with permanent alliances.

I should add that I play with a 40civs-dll, but that shouldn't cause such a bug (I think).

I've experienced the same thing before, but I was a member of the alliance. I think it has to do with the the difference between Civs and Teams, but not sure which way it needs to be changed.

I keep on getting a 'missing attribute' error with the reminders ...

error log said:
AttributeError: 'ReminderQueue' object has no attribute 'isEMpty'

Looks like someone has a sticky shift finger / key :D Fixed and committed.

Another observation: I'm using the unit rename function of BUG (my units are called "3rd archer of Rome" and the like), and when I added a Great General to one of the units, the name of the General wasn't kept.

Am I correct in assuming ...
- that the game can work with one "unique name" per unit, and uses the unit type as its name when there is no unique name given.
- that BUG's way of naming units gives units a unique name already.
- and that the game, when I try to add a GG to the unit, sees that there already is a unique name and chooses not to overwrite it with a new one?

If this mechanism is exposed to Python, then I'd suggest to keep the name of the GG instead of the previous name of the unit, or (even better) to make a small popup that lets the player choose the name.

It's certainly not a big deal though, because we can easily rename a unit at any stage - so if we want to keep the name of the GG, we can simply rename the unit manually. In my last game I just wasn't aware of the problem, and it took a while to locate one of my leaders in a big stack of units because I kept looking for "Epaminondas" when the unit was instead named something like "3rd Pikeman of Nidaros".

- that the game can work with one "unique name" per unit, and uses the unit type as its name when there is no unique name given.
- that BUG's way of naming units gives units a unique name already.

I can confirm these first two are definitely true.

- and that the game, when I try to add a GG to the unit, sees that there already is a unique name and chooses not to overwrite it with a new one?

And this one's a safe assumption. The game is following good UI by not overwriting anything the user does.

I can look to see if the adding of a GG to a stack is exposed to Python. If it is, it shouldn't be a problem to work something out, as a fallback using

Epaminondas, 3rd Pikeman of Nidaros

@Ruff - Good one. Hopefully that fixes the problem with Reminders not being saved.

did you get my doc changes too (mainly stuff about extending autolog)

I just loaded the svn version of BAT. When I start a game or load a save game I get a crash to desktop.

I also have Blue Marble installed.

Any suggestions.

I am also using the Unofficial Patch

Codetoad

Yep, I'm reporting back to echo codetoad: Same problem, crash to desktop on game start. I also have Blue Marble, and am using the Unofficial 3.13 Patch (v1.08).

I unloaded all my mods and custom civs as well, so it's just Unofficial Patch, BUG, Blue Marble and BAT.

Is the crash happening with everyone, or are some people able to run it and others not?

I'm doing as you requested, adding bits and pieces of BAT until there's a crash. I'll let you know if I find anything. Can you give me some direction, like files to add first (i.e. would be silly to add the units in one-at-a-time while leaving out the XML file that refers to them ;-) ).

Yeah I'm a bit out of my depth -- the files are all interrelated, so XML errors on loading prevent testing by adding them in piecemeal. Anyway, the crash happened when I added:

CIV4UnitArtStyleTypeInfos.xml
CIV4CivilizationInfos.xml

The only files still left out were:

CIV4ArtDefines_Unit.xml
CIV4FormationInfos.xml
CIV4UnitInfos.xml

Is there no way to log errors in Civ 4?

Top Bottom