Questions about The BUG Mod

i have a question: what is that little arm doing in my top left corner, near the sliders ~ i have 47/90 what??

i have a question: what is that little arm doing in my top left corner, near the sliders ~ i have 47/90 what??
what do you think it is? look at F5 ... and stop bugging us ... people are trying to sleep! :D

And a message to everyone else ... this is how pholk and I usually relate so live with it. BTW - it is obviously not clear as to what it is ... what would make it clearer?

well, obviously YOU'RE not trying to sleep ~

oh...is it GG points? that would be good ~ isn't there a GG icon you can use?? might have to enlarge the numbers, but you could also move it perhaps ~

or just change the arm (which you're using for power ratings) to a simple "GG"

I was originally going to make it a progress bar (just like on F5) next to the GP Bar under the Research Bar. If you have both enabled, it would just shrink each to half the size.

Another reason to do this is that the numbers overlap the messages a little.

I could then change "Great Person" to use the GP icon (to make more room), but there's no GG icon in the font. Do we have any artists that could create a 16x16 icon for a GG? Of course, with more space in the bar, we could just say "Great General" or "Combat Experience" ... whatever it says on F5.

isn't there a GG icon for the unit? How big is that?

that's what I had in mind when i suggested it ~ even the icon for Military Instructor might do ~

You wouldn't even need ot make the GP and GG bar split the room evenly. if it was something like 66-33, that would work since, imo, the GP is of more importance.

also, i wonder if you get %'s displayed on the GP bar ~ since you can get the next city, i wonder how hard it would be? sounds like a job for ruff, methinks (who's still not sleeping).

yawn - sure, we can add % signs ... how many do you want? 2? 3?

%%%%

that's what I had in mind when i suggested it ~ even the icon for Military Instructor might do ~

You wouldn't even need ot make the GP and GG bar split the room evenly. if it was something like 66-33, that would work since, imo, the GP is of more importance.

also, i wonder if you get %'s displayed on the GP bar ~ since you can get the next city, i wonder how hard it would be? sounds like a job for ruff, methinks (who's still not sleeping).

A bunch of good ideas :)

I'm going to tackle both of these: change GG points to a bar and see about adding color-coding for each type of GP in GP Bar. You can't get it to display the %'s, but I can color the bar like this:

[RRRRYYYYYYYYYGGBBB----------]

I just need to pick colors.

• Gray: Engineer (production bar)
  • Yellow: Merchant (gold)
  • Purple: Artist (culture)
  • Green: Scientist (research)
  • Blue: Prophet
  • White: Spy
Since there aren't any existing bars for Spy and Prophet, can anyone suggest alternate colors? And I'm not convinced about gray for the Engineer ... might be hard to see.

I installed BUG yesterday easily while having the older version of BTS and it worked great. After browsing the forums I saw there was an official 3.13 patch so I downloaded it and made sure I also downloaded and reinstalled the most recent version of BUG that supposedly works with 3.13 - now BUG will not work for me?

I tried loading it from the mod folder, and also tried installing it into the root bts folder with the EXE. Neither work, other than a "BUG mod" in the upper right corner when loading from the mod folder, not a thing is different from plain old BTS.

What's going wrong? I'm new with this modding stuff. I only got to try BUG for a few minutes before 3.13 "broke" it. How disappointing! :(

edit: Tried reinstalling BTS, Patch, BUG and still the same. Doesn't work.

@robuck - So the game plays normally as if BUG weren't installed at all?

Are you loading a saved game or starting a new game? If you're loading a game that you started while using a mod, that mod will be used. Having said that, unless you checked "Lock Modified Assets" (off by default) when starting the game, it should still load the CustomAssets stuff which is where BUG is installed using the EXE.

Did you install the real 3.13 patch from Firaxis or the "Unofficial 3.13 Patch" that's just a new DLL? The latter is really a mod with some fixes to the game DLL and is not the 3.13 that the latest BUG requires.

If things aren't working, you should see problems, like no interface or messed up screens. That it plays normally as if BUG weren't installed, it seems more like a save game issue. Please elaborate and we'll try to help.

Sad news on the GP Progress Bar front. I got the code all written and working only to find out that the stacked bar only allows four sections. Given that one section is needed for the points you'll gain this turn, that leaves only three sections for different GP types.

So it looks like this idea is a wash unless we combine some of the GPs or use multiple stacked bars. I could still put the % values as text in the bar.

Anyone have any bright ideas?

BTW, the above picture looks rather busy, and I wonder if leaving it as it is might be better. It's handy information, but you can always click the bar to zoom to the city to see it. There is unfortunately no way to get the hover popup to work outside the city screen. :(

well, to be honest, though the color-coding is a really great idea, unless you could remember what each color mean, you'd have to click anyway. [edit: oh, i see that you coded them to other bars ~ that makes more sense to me]

and also, w/my idea of displaying %'s ~ imagine having 6 different GP %'s trying to be displayed in that bar written out. yeek ~ if the hover bar would work, that would've been a perfect solution, but i guess you can't have everything. I wonder if it would be worth it to just display the highest percentage?? make it say: "Great Person 54% GS: Thebes (2)" or even "Great Scientist (54%): Thebes (2)" or the top 3 as color-coded bars?? or if that's just more trouble that it's worth.

isn't it fun when someone who HASN'T been working on the project all along comes around with suggestions? :lol: thanks for listening ~ :D

"Great Scientist (54%): Thebes (2)"
I like this option.

You know, we now have 3 threads about new features or enhancements ...

- Questions about The BUG Mod
- Requests for new components (and features)
- Development Thread

At least we are organized! :D

I gotta say I'm not a big fan of the color coded bars. Doesn't mesh well with the interface and the Research bar IMHO. Let me shed a bitter tear for no hover bar, that would be so ideal. :cry:

OK now that I got that out of my system... I like the "Great Scientist (54%): Thebes (2)" option as well, but could you maybe code that up and post a screeny so that we can weigh in?

EF: On a quasi-tangential pseudo-related topic, were you going to look into moving the Research and GP bars onto the same row for those of us with the resolution to support it? Seems like a good time to explore that if you're playing around with the bars. :goodjob:

Civ4: 2
EF: 0

So I wrote the code for a nice hover panel building off of PLE's hover stuff. This mimics what you see in the City Screen without any modifiers.

But of course Civ4 doesn't have mouse-over events in Python for Stacked Bars or Text -- only Buttons. Joy!

:gripe::wallbash::aargh:[pissed]

That about sums it up. :cry:

Any other ideas?

BTW, I'm resisting the %s in the label simply due to space issues, but how about this: use the icons for various things instead of the full unit name.
  • Engineer: :hammers:
  • Scientist: :science:
  • Merchant: :gold:
  • Artist: :culture:
  • Prophet: :religion:
  • Spy: :espionage:
Does this look too confusing?

I have it so that it cuts off whenever it would overflow past the end of the bar. If we make the bar wider (possible now, definitely for wider screens), it will show more icons and %s. If you rename the city longer, it drops the ":culture: 7%" in the screenshot. Also, it sorts them in decending %.

BTW, I'm resisting the %s in the label simply due to space issues, but how about this: use the icons for various things instead of the full unit name.
  • Engineer: :hammers:
  • Scientist: :science:
  • Merchant: :gold:
  • Artist: :culture:
  • Prophet: :religion:
  • Spy: :espionage:
Does this look too confusing?

I have it so that it cuts off whenever it would overflow past the end of the bar. If we make the bar wider (possible now, definitely for wider screens), it will show more icons and %s. If you rename the city longer, it drops the ":culture: 7%" in the screenshot. Also, it sorts them in decending %.

:goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:
Only a different colour for the bar, yellow is not good for the GP icon and even not so good for the gold icon... I think something more similar to red will be better.

Top Bottom