Iran Chooses Brazil to Mediate Nuclear Deal

Tani Coyote

Son of Huehuecoyotl
Iran 'backs Brazil nuclear role'

Iran's president has agreed in principle to accept Brazil as mediator on a deal for providing it with nuclear fuel, Fars news agency reports.

The proposed UN-backed international deal to swap Iran's low enriched uranium for high-enriched nuclear fuel broke down earlier this year.

The idea was to ensure Iran had nuclear fuel for medical purposes, while reducing its bomb-building potential.

Iran denies international claims it is trying to develop atomic weapons.

"In a telephone conversation with his Venezuelan counterpart, [President Mahmoud] Ahmadinejad agreed in principle to Brazil's mediation over the nuclear fuel deal," the semi-official news agency Fars reported.

The deal was proposed by the US, Russia, China, UK, France and Germany.

Under it Iran would be required to ship 1,200 kg (2,646 lb) of low-enriched uranium to Russia and France, where it would be converted into fuel to be used to make isotopes for cancer treatment.

Scepticism

In January, diplomats said Iran had told the UN's nuclear watchdog, the International Atomic Energy Agency, that it did not accept the terms of the deal and had instead demanded a simultaneous exchange on its territory.

But suggestions in recent months by Mr Ahmadinejad that he might be willing to re-enter talks on the deal have been met with scepticism among Western countries.

Brazil's foreign minister is reported to have said during a visit to Tehran last week that his country would be interested in playing a role in settling the dispute over Iran's nuclear programme.

But it is not clear whether a formal proposal has been made.

Brazil's President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva has said he opposes sanctions against Iran.

Also on Wednesday, the Iranian president told ABC News Iran would "definitely continue" its nuclear program despite the potential threat of Israeli military action.

He also brushed aside the current US push for a fresh round of sanctions.

"This is not something that by threatening Iran or putting pressure on Iran will force Iran to change its positions," he told the US news channel.

He is currently in the US attending a conference on the Nuclear Non-proliferation Treaty (NPT).

US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said on Monday that Iran's nuclear ambitions were putting the world at risk.

Mr Ahmadinejad had earlier accused states with nuclear weapons of threatening those who wanted to develop peaceful nuclear technology.

His comments prompted delegates from the US, the UK and France to walk out.

What are your thoughts? Seems Iran has finally pulled its head out of its ass and is willing to work with all of us for the greater good.

How long will such cooperation last, however?

Uh, yay?

Ahmadinejad periodically gets popularity boosts when U.S. sabers are rattled at him. But he gets slow and steady accumulation of unpopularity by economic stagnation, so he can't be too thrilled with the idea of sanctions. My bet is, this works out. After lots of attempted weaseling and deck-stacking, that is. Provided no one overreacts and bombs Iran before the enrichment reaches weapons grade levels.

Brazil is basicaly supporting Turkey's plan. It would be great if it works, but I have my doubts. Many trips of diplomats between our countries are happening these months.

I would support a nuclear armed Iran ruled by the Tudeh Party as a stabilizing power in the Middle East.

Brazil has been much criticized by the US and EU for refusing to even discuss sanctions against Iran. Ahmadinejad and Lula are best buddies, my bet is that this is just Lula trying to help his pal gain some time. Hopefully though they are getting scared of sanctions and may start thinking of compromise.

I must say I'm a bit concerned about Brazil's unwillingness to discuss sanctions, but the fact that they are taking this role is another indication of Brazil's ascend in the international politicl hierarchy. It's starting to become a bigger player more and more, and apperantly is not scared to choose its own foreign policy path. Although I personally would prefer a path alligned to that of Europe on security matters, it is good for the emancipation of Brazil that they remain independent. And maybe having an independent middle power between NATO & allies and so called rogue states is not a bad idea.

5 bucks says this leads to nothing constructive.

Iran is going to get Nuclear weapons guys, unless Iran is stopped by the force of arms, and the results of such an attack would be bad to say the least.

China and Russia don't have enough of a reason to join on in sanctions, and this is why a "peaceful" non-nuclear Iran is impossible, unless the US gives something up to the Russians and Chinese that is more important then its links with Iran. I think that "something" is Central Asia.

To sum up, sanctions won't work because Russia and China will not be on board, unless the US gives something up. Diplomacy will never work because it is more or less toothless without sanctions. Promises aka de facto bribery will not work, just look at the North Koreans. Force would work, but only at a terrible course.

Therefore, the least evil of scenarios would be to give Central Asia over to the Russians and Chinese in exchange for the lifting of obstructionism in the UN over sanctions. A "free hand", if you will.

Brazil has been much criticized by the US and EU for refusing to even discuss sanctions against Iran. Ahmadinejad and Lula are best buddies, my bet is that this is just Lula trying to help his pal gain some time. Hopefully though they are getting scared of sanctions and may start thinking of compromise.

Your best bet should be that Brazil has done as many "violations of the NPT" as Iran did, so it's only natural that the iranians should regard Brazil as diplomatically friendly. It wasn't many years ago that the US was agitating again uranium enrichment in Brazil. And brazilian (and argentinian) efforts do develop nuclear weapons are also well known. I have some doubts as to whether they were really abandoned.

5 bucks says this leads to nothing constructive.

Iran is going to get Nuclear weapons guys, unless Iran is stopped by the force of arms, and the results of such an attack would be bad to say the least.

Or Ahmadinajad is a really bad attention seeker.

Therefore, the least evil of scenarios would be to give Central Asia over to the Russians and Chinese in exchange for the lifting of obstructionism in the UN over sanctions. A "free hand", if you will.

Someone should really ask the Central Asians about this. I imagine a region-wide referendum.

Which foreign overlord would you prefer to interfere in your country's internal affairs?
[ ] The United States of America
[ ] The Russian Federation
[ ] The People's Republic of China
[ ] Other (please specify)
(Note: "We would like our country to be independent" is not an acceptable answer)

Which foreign overlord would you prefer to interfere in your country's internal affairs?
(Note: "We would like our country to be independent" is not an acceptable answer)

I imagine that the american view is that they already own the place, so no referendum would be necessary...

Isn't the whole issue with Iran the fact that the US doesn't own it yet?

Isn't the whole issue with Iran the fact that the US doesn't own it yet?
What about that whole nuclear non-proliferation dealy? I mean, the U.S. for instance pressured South Korea to end its nuclear program, just as I'm sure it did behind-the-scenes with other countries. A nuclear-armed Iran, however, is (in the eyes of the U.S.) not just another nuclear state, but a hostile nuclear state.

What about that whole nuclear non-proliferation dealy? I mean, the U.S. for instance pressured South Korea to end its nuclear program, just as I'm sure it did behind-the-scenes with other countries. A nuclear-armed Iran, however, is (in the eyes of the U.S.) not just another nuclear state, but a hostile nuclear state.

Well it seems to be coping with a nuclear-armed DPRK pretty well...

Brazil!.... ....yay.

Your best bet should be that Brazil has done as many "violations of the NPT" as Iran did, so it's only natural that the iranians should regard Brazil as diplomatically friendly. It wasn't many years ago that the US was agitating again uranium enrichment in Brazil. And brazilian (and argentinian) efforts do develop nuclear weapons are also well known. I have some doubts as to whether they were really abandoned.

Well it is no secret that Brazil was trying to develop a nuclear bomb as late as the late 80's. But that's not a violation of any treaty because we had not signed it yet. I have no doubts that we have in fact given up trying to build one, as the military is quite powerless nowadays and doesn't seem to have an own agenda (or they'd be making a fuss about the number of former communist terrorists in Lula's administration). And the civilian rulers definately have no interest in a bomb.

We are building a nuclear submarine, though.

..an even larger waste of money than building 60.000 people stadiums in cities like Natal-RN, whose local teams can never support anything above 12.000.

Agreed. Several billions have been spent and the damn thing is still far from ready. And for what? Pure posturing.

It's the same with Lula's obsession to win a permanent seat in the UNSC. He has spent much money trying to build international support for the cause, but what tangible benefits will it bring to the Brazilian people? None. If I was President I'd be more concerned in making the public sector more efficient in order to cut some of the confiscatory taxes the middle class has to pay.

Agreed. Several billions have been spent and the damn thing is still far from ready. And for what? Pure posturing.

It's the same with Lula's obsession to win a permanent seat in the UNSC. He has spent much money trying to build international support for the cause, but what tangible benefits will it bring to the Brazilian people? None. If I was President I'd be more concerned in making the public sector more efficient in order to cut some of the confiscatory taxes the middle class has to pay.

you would make a fine president of any country

Or Ahmadinajad is a really bad attention seeker.

Someone should really ask the Central Asians about this. I imagine a region-wide referendum.

Don't be so simpleminded. Didn't you learn about "Spheres of Influence" in Junior High?:)

Top Bottom