Obama's a dud, what to do?

Narz

keeping it real
Even the "liberal media" ;) (MSNBC) is getting tired of him.

http://firedoglake.com/2010/06/15/l...ents-remarks-on-the-bp-oil-disaster/#comments

Chris Matthews, Keith Olbermann and Howard Fineman react to President Obama's Oval Office Address on the oil spill. Here are the highlights of what the trio said:

Olbermann: "It was a great speech if you were on another planet for the last 57 days."

Matthews compared Obama to Carter.

Olbermann: "Nothing specific at all was said."

Matthews: "No direction."

Howard Fineman: "He wasn't specific enough."

Olbermann: "I don't think he aimed low, I don't think he aimed at all. It's startling."

Howard Fineman: Obama should be acting like a "commander-in-chief."

Matthews: Ludicrous that he keeps saying [Secretary of Energy] Chu has a Nobel prize. "I'll barf if he does it one more time."

Matthews: "A lot of meritocracy, a lot of blue ribbon talk."

Matthews: "I don't sense executive command."

Some remarks from a liberal blog site :

I feel as though I am listening to a child.
-
he keeps talking about the “spill” as if it’s in the past tense. gah. unbelievable.
-
He’s campaigning again, but after governing for a while, I don’t think anybody’s buying what he’s selling.
-
I wanted to hear a plan. “This is what we’re going to do…..by this time next year….within 5 years….by the time I leave office….”

Instead, I heard nothing.
-
Empty words….empty speech…..the man is empty all the way through

I am so tired of the feigned concerned and crocodile tears out of Washington, D.C. as the U.S. crumbles in more ways than one.
-
Obama won’t stand for inaction. Except his own. No specifics, no calls to action, no consequences for anyone involved. I campaigned for him. I contributed money. I voted for him. His election was, I thought, a thorough repudiation of the previous eight years. And now this. He’s a disaster.
-
So his answer is to pray.

What should the left do? Who should they try to get voted in in 2012. Or should they just stick with Obama, hoping the Republican candidates are once again so bad that people will choose the lesser of two evils?

He mentioned peak oil finally but without any plan whatsoever to solve/mitigate it (an American politican will never, ever use the word mitigation anyway for any problem of global scale because that implies that certain problems cannot be fully solved which would shatter the American Disneyland hope n' change n' prayer worldview). Nothing much appears to be happening in regards to climate change. The government's census hiring made a small dent in the unemployment situation but obviously it's not a long-term solution.

Does anyone in the US (or abroad) still have faith in a two-party system & in national politics in general? Is the sweeping change necessary even possible?

I can understand why people just say "f-it" & flip the channel to some mindless & soothing sitcom. I can see why people gravitate to extreme candidates & worldviews like Libertarianism & Communism. I guess many people have been seeing politicians lie & fail to solve global problems for decades now (I only started really paying attention maybe eight years ago) & it seems like it's just something you have to accept. But that strikes me as a very depressing way to think/respond. Or people see it as bad but as acceptably bad not unacceptably bad. It could be worse. We could be in OMG Somalia! We've been fairly safe (from immediate killers like war, pestilence, etc.) for many decades & it's easy to just /shrug® & accept it as the price of a cushy life. But goddamn it sure doesn't feel good.

Any ideas?

As long as the corporations own the system the left is screwed. :(
The people are screwed, our children are screwed, honesty & long term thinking is screwed.

Corporations don't give a flying fsquirrel about long term, about environmental costs, human rights costs, human health or human life costs. Those things can't be broken down into dollars & cents.

They keep us comfortable & we keep them in charge. And now we can't imagine it any other way.

Palin 2012!!!!!!!!!

:vomit:
I'm honestly considering voting her:

1) It would be like Bush x2. There would be so much negativity associated with the Republican party they would never get elected again. Then the democrats can become the new conservative party in this country and we get a better leftist one.

2) It would be hilarious.

When the Republicans win the presidency in 2012, I guarantee you that Palin will become Secretary of State. Mark it down.

I'm honestly considering voting her:

1) It would be like Bush x2. There would be so much negativity associated with the Republican party they would never get elected again. Then the democrats can become the new conservative party in this country and we get a better leftist one.

2) It would be hilarious.

3) There's no glory being president anymore. Any idiot can be president now.

This is why I don't give about politics anymore.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss...

except for the fact that it ain't like that. now I can understand being disenfranchised by the US political system and I like The Who but this line is really just a punchline that just does not fit. complain about the system and/or the system behind the system or the constitution but you can't really compare the current and former president.

the old one would run around saying that BP is doing a bang up job or whatever it was he said but this is just me being polemic anyhoo :>

:sigh: Carter 2.0 with new centrist patch!

Well really, what more can Obama say about BP? Noone knows what the hell is going on, so how can you be specific?
If he just said that "We're not really sure what's going on & we're not sure how we can change the circumstances that led to it. I have no idea how we're going to tackle most of the issues that will affect you & your children actually & many of our best minds aren't even sure but I'll be damned if I get out of office without trying to enact some real change like I campaigned for, to leave a lasting legacy & for the betterment of this country. I'm going to get answers & solve problems & most of all I'm going to be honest & not try to BS you." he'd get more respect. It's still vague but at least it's more honest, has some heart.

If he just said that "We're not really sure what's going on & we're not sure how we can change the circumstances that led to it. I have no idea how we're going to tackle most of the issues that will affect you & your children actually & many of our best minds aren't even sure but I'll be damned if I get out of office without trying to enact some real change like I campaigned for, to leave a lasting legacy & for the betterment of this country. I'm going to get answers & solve problems & most of all I'm going to be honest & not try to BS you." he'd get more respect. It's still vague but at least it's more honest, has some heart.

I think he found out that change is hard to get when there´s a whole ´system´that has been in place for a long time.

Top Bottom