How To: Download and Install a Mod from the steam hub

Status
Not open for further replies.

ainwood

Consultant.
Administrator
Moderator Action: ATTENTION: This thread is outdated and with the latest Civ5 patch not longer relevant in any way.

Prompted by people suggesting this is a bug in the Bug Reports Forum, I've written this guide based on my own frigging around. Any suggestions / corrections greatly appreciated.

1.) Start Civ5. In the Main Screen, Choose "Mods".

Spoiler screenshot :

2.) You will now get a warning screen up - you need to click "accept".
Spoiler screenshot :

3.) To look for new mods to download & install, click on "Browse Mods" (to play them, click on "single player".
Spoiler screenshot :

4.) In the next screen that appears, click on the "Online" button at the top.
Spoiler screenshot :

I found this screen quite slow to navigate.

5.) Choose the mod you want to download, and click the "Download" button.
Spoiler screenshot :

6.) Click through another warning:
Spoiler screenshot :

7.) When the process is completed, you will see the progress bar finished like this:
Spoiler screenshot :

YOUR MOD IS NOT INSTALLED!
7a.) If you looked in your "Mods" folder, you wouldn't see the installed mod: You'd actually just see a MD5 Checksum-named file:
Spoiler screenshot :

8.) Click on the "Installed" tab at the top, and you get this screen. Note the "Install Mods" button at the bottom right? Click that.
Spoiler screenshot :

9.) The process is now finished! To enable the mod, click the green tick to the right of the mod.
Spoiler screenshot :

...And to show that its now created properly in the Mods folder:
Spoiler screenshot :

So if I were to make an XML mod before the modding tools were released, it would be best in a zip folder and given directions of where and how to install it? Since the modding tools aren't released there's no way I can upload it right?

Ainwood's instructions are only for mods created with the mod tools and uploaded to the hub. :)

One thing that I noted... when I downloaded and installed Dales TSL maps, I had to check the "Play Scenario" button after choosing the map. Then choose which Civ I wanted to play as. Otherwise, the map would load with random starting positions.

Is there a way to download mods, scenarios and maps directly from steam? Ive tried downloading them from this forum but it was too complicated for me.

ok guys... I did what Paasky told and it worked to me...
I´m from Brasil and my user name in my Win7 is Alê with that dammed accent...hehe

But why doing the manual instalation worked but through the Civ V didn´t ?
Is there any reasonable explanation ??
My Civ got the patch and for this reason I´m not using a different user name in the Win....

It gives me an error each time I try to download a mod...

OK, just to be sure, I added the clock mod and everything looks great, but, for some reason it is not appearing at all when I start a game. Do I have to start it inside the mods menu, even after installed and enabled?

The .civ5mod file is actually a normal zip file. Just rename it into .zip, open it, and extract it into a folder named the same as the .modinfo file you'll find inside of it.

Thanks, that did the trick. For some reason when I clicked 'Install Mods' it wouldn't.

OK, just to be sure, I added the clock mod and everything looks great, but, for some reason it is not appearing at all when I start a game. Do I have to start it inside the mods menu, even after installed and enabled?

Correct. If you don't want to abandon your current game you can also load your game (the one without the mod) from the Mods menu and you'll continue it with the mod enabled.

I tried ingame to install the mods and manually, both won't show up under the installed tab.

Me too,but if you do what Paasky wrote you will see the mods... It is the same way when we installed any new mod in Civ4 !!
Unfortunately it is manual, BUT it works at least....

Hope 2K releases another patch to fix this little problem...

I do this but the MOD just disappears and it looks like I never downloaded or installed anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom