City State Diplomacy Mod (Updated)

Hi, again! :)

I love the 11.0 changes, but first I will finish the game I have on the tiny islands map...
(it will take a week for me, I mean the period from Monday to Friday - even though it is on Quick)

Some experience:

I play this game to try cultural victory.
Now, it is a tiny map, and I go with 4 cities.
So far, we are in ca. 1100-1200 (medieval era), I had to concentrate on cultural and food buildings
(I play with Balance mod, so Butchers, Groceries too...)
This means that by now I could train only one diplo unit...
I plan to start and go for cultural CSs, I just tell the story so you know
that with few cities and a strategy to follow other than diplo win the player
might not be able to get many CSs with the need of building specific units.

Not that it is a bad thing... :)

(and I also have to fight my neighbour, USA, who attacked me again to have a second (short) war,
that eneded with satelemate, as I defend but not wish to get or raze cities...)

I really like the diplomacy mod idea. I will try it out for my next game!

One suggestion: On top of your diplomatic units requirment and other changes, what about just simply rebalancing the amount of CS rep gained from "quests" versus gold? Maybe make gold gifts to CS award half as much rep as currently, and quests award 50% more than currently. I think the player that does quests, paying attention to CS needs, should be rewarded more than someone who just has a lot of gold to throw around. This somewhat addresses the complaint of it being to easy to simply "buy" diplomatic victories.

I really like the diplomacy mod idea. I will try it out for my next game!

One suggestion: On top of your diplomatic units requirment and other changes, what about just simply rebalancing the amount of CS rep gained from "quests" versus gold? Maybe make gold gifts to CS award half as much rep as currently, and quests award 50% more than currently. I think the player that does quests, paying attention to CS needs, should be rewarded more than someone who just has a lot of gold to throw around. This somewhat addresses the complaint of it being to easy to simply "buy" diplomatic victories.

Just try out this mod:
training and sending diplo units instead of insta-distant-gold
is a whole other game - for the better :)

(I would perhaps send gold TOO: when your diplo unit gets there to do the deal...)

Hello, this mod sounds great, but I can't seem to get it to show up in my mod list. Tried downloading it from modbrowser and manually from page one of this thread, but no luck (and with all other mods disabled). Any ideas as to how to get it working? Thank you!

Hello, this mod sounds great, but I can't seem to get it to show up in my mod list. Tried downloading it from modbrowser and manually from page one of this thread, but no luck (and with all other mods disabled). Any ideas as to how to get it working? Thank you!

Um, you have to click "install mod" when in the browser... then you have it and can enable it :)
EDIT: first you put it into the MODS folder (in My Game\...Civ5...)

I'm only having an issue with this mod. It's unRARed and in the right folder, but the intstall mods button simply doesn't show up. Have tried downloading other mods just to see if the install button would make this one work, (and they have installed fine) but no luck..

I'm only having an issue with this mod. It's unRARed and in the right folder, but the intstall mods button simply doesn't show up. Have tried downloading other mods just to see if the install button would make this one work, (and they have installed fine) but no luck..

Hmm...I'll repost when I get home from work.

Also, I can't have the diplo units 'give' gold to the CSs because a negative value in the <Gold> tag for the units causes the unit to crash. I imagine it can't accept negative values because the mechanic isn't there.

Thanks for trying it out!
G

Download the one on the first page and place the unrared filed in your MODS folder. More reliable than the browser.
G

Uh I had a crash: when right clicking on a horseman to give move order
I get a ta-ta-ta-ta sound and crash to desktop...

It is not all the time when doing this with the horseman, but occasionally...

Anyone else having this?

Uh I had a crash: when right clicking on a horseman to give move order
I get a ta-ta-ta-ta sound and crash to desktop...

It is not all the time when doing this with the horseman, but occasionally...

Anyone else having this?

Sounds like a memory problem. How much RAM do you have?

Try turning down graphical effects (AA esp.) and turn off any unnecessary background programs.

Download the one on the first page and place the unrared filed in your MODS folder. More reliable than the browser.
G

Yes, this has always worked in the past whenever I have had an issue with a mod but not this time unfortunately.:(

Yes, this has always worked in the past whenever I have had an issue with a mod but not this time unfortunately.:(

Re-uploading the file again now. Let me know if it works this time.

Also, make sure you have deleted any old versions of the mod AND have deleted your ModsDatabase file in Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\cache folder.

This will deactivate all of your mods (but they will still be in the modbrowser) and might clear up any glitches you are having.

G

v. 11 re-uploaded. Let me know if it works!

Hmm...that's weird. I know there are a few threads on post-patch crashes, you might look at those and see if you can find an answer.

Eh, I will...

I started another play, v11, this time I will go for diplo win :)

I play now on cool temperature, younger landmass, small terra...
I got an ugly start place, or shall I call it interesting?
Tundra hills abundant, on shore, whale and fish... I am the Ottomans...

This a great improvement over the the vanilla CS system. Diplomats are so much better and more fun than gifting gold. The only major thing left from the vanilla system that annoys me is the constant CS on CS hate. I've had many games where 3/4th of the CSs are asking to destroy another for most of the game. One game all the CSs wanted to kill each other. I think this is a horrible game mechanic because if you complete enough quests all the CSs will eventual ask you to kill another CS. I think if no one declares war on the target CS within 20 turns the CS will give a new quest. Other quests could have a turn limit as well also the number of turns left to complete the quest should be shown. There could be a influence penalty for not completely a quest before it expires.

Another idea I have is to be able to gift a city to a CS for massive influence but the gifted city must share a border with the CS. You must wait 10 turns before you can gift another city to the same CS.

Also, make sure you have deleted any old versions of the mod AND have deleted your ModsDatabase file in Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\cache folder.

This will deactivate all of your mods (but they will still be in the modbrowser) and might clear up any glitches you are having.

G

v. 11 re-uploaded. Let me know if it works!

It worked! Thanks for your assistance, look forward to trying it out:D

Top Bottom