Governments and Politics

Mid Session Event

With the king of kings publicly welcoming the Syrians and Sumerians, the city was flooded by lines of people trying to get into the city. Most of the people crammed into the poor district and built provisional homes from the scraps of wood they had.

Only a couple families settled in to the Middle District of Persepolis, among them Abdul, the leader of the Syrians and Utanapishtim, leader of the Sumerians.

Throughout the night, the city was filled with celebration, mostly of the new people that had been accepted into Persepolis. Sumerian music was played and heard throughout the night. Sumerians also celebrated and thanked their gods for their good fortunes.

Celebration and joy was not the only thing in that night's air. A few Persians were unhappy with the newcomers and fights were common between these Persians and the new people.
Not only that, but the next morning, the bandits had striked again, this time at the residence of DefoesRightBoot. His servants scrambled around, looking for the missing Gold, and many people stood looking at the painting of the bandit's symbol. Worst of all, some servants that heard the thieves say that they heard them speak in another language.
It was a very busy night for the city's Security Forces.

I am unusual amongst politicians, in that I prefer to keep my counsel to myself unless I see that an important issue is not being considered, or that decisions are being made that will harm our glorious Empire.

However, when these barbarian thieves dare to strike directly at me - ME! The second most powerful man in the Kingdom! - it is time to speak out.

Sire, I applaud your noble generosity and welcoming spirit towards these foreigners that have entered our Kingdom, and I am reluctant to tar them all with the same brush; however evidence is forthcoming that these crimes are being perpetrated by members of these peoples. In addition, our own citizens are openly fighting them in the streets. It is clear that not only do our own brethren, to whom our first allegiance must be, not want these heathens amongst us, but that they are betraying your kindness by robbing us.

This must stop, one way or another. If you will not expel them from our borders, then we must surely raise some kind of force to police the streets and ensure that they are not able to continue with their barbaric ways. And I owe it to my honour to advise you, Sire, that should I come upon any of these scum (excuse my profanities) within my own personal domicile, I will vigorously defend my property.

I await your response, my King.

If it was in fact the same Bandits that stole from myself, I believe that the situation is being handled, I am very disgusted at myself for not being able to deal with it quickly enough to protect the other politicians of our great empire. You have my sincere apology that this has happened to you, DefoesRightBoot. However, as far as I am aware, the Royal Guards have not entered the City to fight crime yet, they will, however very soon. When they are in the city, there should be less acts such as this happening, and the Bandits should be punished.

I also advise you that it might be smart to hire personal bodyguards to protect yourself from this happening again, or perhaps other kinds of attacks against you. Although it is just advice, and might not be needed.

Jehashuthra talking to Jafar and Zarathustra mentioned in casual discussion after discussing the nature of Mazda that he came across a giddy man who had just been bewedded to one Sarina and the he told this man.

-

Ah Doteiti (Dot80), and I too am blessed by the Wise Lord for I am bewedded to the most beautiful Cyra for whom the flowers bloom and the water in the Parsa flows. She indeed is beautiful in every way in thought, word and deed in addition to her physical charms. The artistic works of her hand being beyond compare and her understanding and fidelity of the way of Mazda is of sublime beauty.

Indeed we are most blessed by Ahura Mazda to be bewedded of the beauties of Persia!

Domestic Adviser reports:
With the immigration of the Sumerians, they have brought different aspects of their culture. Their biggest, religious differences.

SUMERIAN SOCIETY.

The sumerians were effectively an absolute theocracy and their culture was totally encompassed by their religion with all their sciences developing from requirments demanded of their faith, the study the heavens and portend future events that the heavens were said to influence.

They were ruled by ENSI, or High priests who ran the city states (effectively emerging from settlement around specific gods sacred temples). The lower priesthood served as administrators under the ENSI in addition to being priests and scientists. Although later LUGAL or kings who were also intimately tied to religious rites ruled above the structure of priests in some (not all) city states.

As a part of their religion, Law is important to Sumerians. In addition the Sumerians were lovers of music and their religious rites consisted of many musicians.

(Information provided by: Jehoshua)

Now, after their collapse, they still hang on to their religious ideas. Much of their actions are judged by their beliefs, and they consider themselves organized, civilized people.

Main Sumerian deities:
  • An: God of heaven/the firmament.
  • Enlil: God of the air (from Lil = Air)
  • Enki: God of freshwater, male fertility, and knowledge;
  • Inanna: Goddess of sexual love, female fertility and warfare.
  • Ki: Goddess of the earth.
  • Nanna, God of the moon.
  • Ningal: Wife of Nanna.
  • Ninlil: An air goddess and wife of Enlil; she was believed to reside in the same temple as Enlil.
  • Ninurta: God of war, agriculture, one of the Sumerian wind gods; patron deity of Girsu and one of the patron deities of Lagash.
  • Utu: God of the sun at the E'barbara temple of Sippar.

Creation Myth:

According to Sumerian mythology, the gods originally created humans as servants for themselves but freed them when they became too much to handle.

The primordial union of An and Ki produced Enlil, who became leader of the Sumerian pantheon. After the other gods banished Enlil from Dilmun (the “home of the gods”) for raping Ninlil, Ninlil had a child: Nanna, god of the moon. Nanna and Ningal gave birth to Inanna and to Utu, god of the sun.

SYRIAN SOCIETY

These people have been wondering around the land for several centuries. They are not one specific group of people, but more of a mixture of peoples they have found since they began wandering the land. Many years of moving and nomadic life have made them become cultureless, and their religion is fading away. They are quickly adopting beliefs from the Sumerians and Persians.

IN RESPONSE TO THE CRIME AGAINST DEFOESRIGHTBOOT

-

Politicians of the Empire, people of Persia, the crime against the politician Defoerightboot was unfortunate, but as our glorious King of Kings (may he live forever) has said in his wisdom, it is likely a product of a lack of law enforcement in the streets of Persepolis at the present time. Our politicians must note that this problem existed even prior to the immigration of the Sumerians and the Syrians, with the disgusting theft of the gold of the King of Kings happening before they even set foot within our borders.

I do not think therefore that it is proper, especially considering the teachings of Mazda that we are to be pure in thought, word and deed, to lay the blame at the feet of every single one of our guests, who in an act of gracious mercy and charity His Majesty has granted entrance to the Persian Empire. This admittance is indeed a pious act and an indicator of His Majesties good mind, and that he is a righteous man faithful in the light of the Wise Lord. All who live in the light of Ahura Mazda should welcome these people, even the Sumerians with their different religion and through their attitutes in thought towards these people, words towards these people and in deeds and actions towards our guests show them the sanctifying grace of Ahura Mazda that exists within the Persians and those faithful to Ahura Mazda, and lead them to become co-workers with us in the war against he who is only death and his hordes of Daevas.

In time the problems of the beginning that have arisen with their recent arrival, if and only if we engage with the immigrant peoples with the correct attitude, will settle down. However if we demonise them, treat them harshly and act impurely in thought, word and deed in a corrupt perversion of our hearts towards them in an evil attitude coming from Angra Mainyu, we shall know only conflict and death, both in this life and in the next.

-Jehashuthra.

:agree:

Anyway, I congratulate the both of you in your marriages, may you have a great one, with much health and many kids! Although I haven't been lucky enough so far to be able to have a loving wife. Hopefully there will come a time that I will.

What!

His Majesty the King of Kings (may he live forever) has not yet bewedded a beautiful persian wife!, this is a travesty! Is not the position of king of kings the ultimate aphrodisiac? It is an enigma you are not yet married.

For how could a woman not want to be bewedded in the light of Ahura Mazda within holy matrimony to he who is the blessed and sanctified of the wise Lord, he who is the master and sovereign of the glorious Persian Empire?

One has no idea. Maybe the people of Persia believe me to be a selfish and un-livable to be around. I do hope that is not the case, however, and that the right person for me just hasn't come around yet, and will (preferably) come around before I die. :lol:

ShadowNX was walking through his fields, thinking about taking some of his produce to market we he saw a group of "newcomers" scrounging around and stealing his crops.

"Hey" he shouted at them as he charged, they scattered and ran in to the nearby woods. Disgusted he stopped and accessed the damage ... wasted. Stalks of Wheat crushed and trampled, worthless.

Salvaging what he could, he started towards the City square to try and see what he could make from the disaster. Along the way he notices a huge influx of "newcomers" and hears that the King of Kings decreed these people part of the Empire.

Striding towards the square he wonders if the King of Kings will also pay for the stolen food from his farm, these new "Persians", his new people that steals from the old.

Grumbling he sets up his stall and hopes for the best....

If it was in fact the same Bandits that stole from myself, I believe that the situation is being handled, I am very disgusted at myself for not being able to deal with it quickly enough to protect the other politicians of our great empire. You have my sincere apology that this has happened to you, DefoesRightBoot. However, as far as I am aware, the Royal Guards have not entered the City to fight crime yet, they will, however very soon. When they are in the city, there should be less acts such as this happening, and the Bandits should be punished.

I also advise you that it might be smart to hire personal bodyguards to protect yourself from this happening again, or perhaps other kinds of attacks against you. Although it is just advice, and might not be needed.

RESPONSE AND ADVICE TO HIS MAJESTY

---

After talking with various humble citizens of the Empire about the glory of Mazda and the problems afflicting Persian society, Jehashuthra decided to, along with promising to his associates, to give his thoughts and his advice to the King of Kings in one of his regular audiences. And so Jehashuthra brought forth his thoughts to he who is our lord, the King of Kings (may he live forever).

-

Glorious King of Kings for whom the water in the Parsa flows, may you live forever. You in your great wisdom have done much to stem the evil of crime, you have recalled the royal guard and established a security force to bring the force of Law to the empire. But I fear you are forgetting something.

It is indeed important that our political leaders are protected from such crime and it is indeed a despicable and abominable, however I fear you have forgotten the impact this crime has on the common folk of the empire. The thievery against a politician is well known, but what is not well known is the daily struggle that the common man undergoes in the face of those who know only darkness, especially the poorest and least amongst our people who suffer in poverty in the lower district.

Ahura Mazda, the wise Lord demands of us all sacrifice, that we think with a good mind in love for our fellow human beings, thinking only of ones own interests and the interests of ones freinds when they have been violated and forgetting the needs of those who are unheard in our society only leads one away from the light of wisdom and feeds the clearly erroneous impression amongst those who would do you harm that you care not for the poor , the helpless and the needy Persians in our society. This was only perpetuated when you said you were disgusted at the crimes against politicians and failed to mention your natural and deep seated disgust at the general impact on society and on your common subjects, when indeed it is the common man who suffers most. This is something that the politicians afflicted by such crime should remember, for even in the aftermath of such crime they still remain better off than they who are the lowest and poorest amongst our people who live under their rule and all that comes from it and suffer daily from crime which to the priveleged is an extraordinary event. Their responses to crimes against themselves should reflect this reality...

Such ommission of concern for the common Persians may lead minds astray to in turn of your forgetfullness, forget your own charitableness and concern of the poor and needy when you graciously admitted the Syrians and Sumerians into our empire. This ommission could thus feed discontent and lead to a totally erroneous and indeed tragic view of His Majesties views and beliefs that he cares not for his own people and is concerned only with an unrighteous dominion over his people, indeed this is an erroneous view.

Thus I would humbly advise His Majesty, if he believes the circumstances permit and that the danger is not so high as to make the action impossible. That he eventually makes a visitation to the lower district to hear the voices of the poor, to hear the voices of the immigrants to Persia, to see for himself the impact crime has on the least amongst us. Naturally such an act in my opinion would require the return of the royal guard and extra security measures during the time of your visitation and thus cannot happen immediately, as being our King of Kings you are a natural target for the discontented, and going to the lower district without such measures would be inadvisable. Perhaps however in your wisdom you may see the merit that an eventual tour to hear the voice of the voiceless would have, not only for the wellbeing of the empire, but for your own personal standing amongst the common folk as well.

Such an act I believe would do much to assuade potential concern amongst the common people that you care not for their interests and that you take heed only of the interests of the political class. Indeed you could potentially undertake a tour of the Persepolis that exists beyond the walls of your palace, to all districts of the city, high, middle and low in time so that all the common people from the poorest beggar to the richest merchant and all in between and who live under your benevolent reign, have the opportunity to speak to you directly of their concerns. You would also have the opportunity to perceive for yourself the state and condition of your domain. Again however considering the security requirements such an action would neccesitate I would advise waiting until at the very least the return of the royal guard.

A show of concern and pious devotion such as this would be truly blessed of Mazda and proove to those amongst the common people who doubt you that you posess a good mind, that in wisdom and paternal affection you seek to steer the path of Persia like a ship from the jagged rocks, that you with purity of heart and paternal love and fidelity to all your children seek to lead our nation to the bountiful paradise on the horizon with the grace of Ahura Mazda and the benediction of all the righteous powers!

Glory and Blessings to the King of Kings and long may he reign!

-Jehashuthra

Conclusion Update

The heralds of Persepolis tell of the news that happened this session:

The King accepeted the Syrians and Sumerians into Persepolis
He also chose Liberty, Queued Legalism and Collective Rule.
He also planned to produce a worker after the granary
As for science he queued Calender > Animal Husbandry > Trapping

The bandits responsible for the theft of DefoesRightBoot are still free and have not been brought to justice. Also, Still no news on the criminals who took the King's gold.

With this, session 2 ends, and the Transition time begins.

Finally, a last comment: I will not have computer access tomorrow, so I wont be able to respond your questions until Sunday night, or Monday. Sorry for the inconvinience.

ShadowNX was walking through his fields, thinking about taking some of his produce to market we he saw a group of "newcomers" scrounging around and stealing his crops.

"Hey" he shouted at them as he charged, they scattered and ran in to the nearby woods. Disgusted he stopped and accessed the damage ... wasted. Stalks of Wheat crushed and trampled, worthless.

Salvaging what he could, he started towards the City square to try and see what he could make from the disaster. Along the way he notices a huge influx of "newcomers" and hears that the King of Kings decreed these people part of the Empire.

Striding towards the square he wonders if the King of Kings will also pay for the stolen food from his farm, these new "Persians", his new people that steals from the old.

Grumbling he sets up his stall and hopes for the best....

It was a warm and sunny day as Casper strolled through the markets. The last few days has been the best of his life as he experienced the joy of marriage. Everything seemed better than it was he thought. Not even the crimes and new influx of 'immigrants' could smear his day.

However he stopped at one stall where a distressed owner was setting up his shop and decided to make conversation.

"Ah my good fellow Persepolitian, what seem to be the trouble on such a wonderful day?"

It was a warm and sunny day as Casper strolled through the markets. The last few days has been the best of his life as he experienced the joy of marriage. Everything seemed better than it was he thought. Not even the crimes and new influx of 'immigrants' could smear his day.

However he stopped at one stall where a distressed owner was setting up his shop and decided to make conversation.

"Ah my good fellow Persepolitian, what seem to be the trouble on such a wonderful day?"

Glancing up, ShadowNX was in a foul mood, he noticed the young man standing at his stall.

"Good Day sir" Waving his arms wide he points to his meager foodstuffs. "The Problem is the "Newcomers" its all well and good for the King of Kings to welcome these people into the City"

"But these people are scattered all over, for just this morning i decided to harvest some wheat and low and behold they where like vermin in my fields, scrounging and destroying, grabbing and pulling, i chased them off but i fear they will just return."

"More will come and what are we supposed to do? Hard working men like us , toiling in the fields all day, to have these vile creatures steal from us."

Shadow glances left and right then in a hushed tone he continues, "There's talk going around in the lower districts ..."

ShadowNX smiles as some people walk by ... "There is some discontent in the lower districts , due to the influx of all these new people, food is scarce and living space even more so ....."

ShadowNX suddenly realizes he's said to much and changes the subject "Ahhh, well now, you know what can a lowly farmer like myself understand of all these government things and politics, i am sure that the great King of Kings blessed be his name knows whats best for us."

"So, would you like to make a purchase?"

Glancing up, ShadowNX was in a foul mood, he noticed the young man standing at his stall.

"Good Day sir" Waving his arms wide he points to his meager foodstuffs. "The Problem is the "Newcomers" its all well and good for the King of Kings to welcome these people into the City"

"But these people are scattered all over, for just this morning i decided to harvest some wheat and low and behold they where like vermin in my fields, scrounging and destroying, grabbing and pulling, i chased them off but i fear they will just return."

"More will come and what are we supposed to do? Hard working men like us , toiling in the fields all day, to have these vile creatures steal from us."

Shadow glances left and right then in a hushed tone he continues, "There's talk going around in the lower districts ..."

ShadowNX smiles as some people walk by ... "There is some discontent in the lower districts , due to the influx of all these new people, food is scarce and living space even more so ....."

ShadowNX suddenly realizes he's said to much and changes the subject "Ahhh, well now, you know what can a lowly farmer like myself understand of all these government things and politics, i am sure that the great King of Kings blessed be his name knows whats best for us."

"So, would you like to make a purchase?"

Upon hearing the disgrunted owner's message Casper silently nodded to himself with almost everything he said. It is true that ever since these 'newcomers' arrived that there have been troubles all over Persepolis. It has been tough times for the Persian locals to adjust their lifestyle to these other-cultured breeds.

"My good fellow citizen be calm, I'm sure these hard times will be over soon. Our King is doing his upmost to integrate these newcomers to our society. I hear that the Royal Guards are returning to ensure security in our beloved city."

Although Casper seemed to be spouting naive positive conjectures, this is what he truly believed. A unified Persepolis under the King.

"I, myself is working towards becoming an advisor to our King and one day become a politician. I intend to hear all the words of our people and help them within our city."

"My good man I implore your name? I am Casper son of the labour."

I must remind you that crime like this was happening before they came. The immigrants would have stayed no matter what, and the ones who didn't would have gone to other countries, who would be taught that we are barbaric, and should be destroyed.

Sure, things are bad now, but after a while, everyone should grow to live in harmony, at least that is my dream. Better to have a little nuisance now, than have large countries trying to destroy us later, now isn't it?

I know how bad things are, and I apologize that things are happening to my good-working citizens like yourself, but I am trying my hardest to try and fight crime.

Upon hearing the disgrunted owner's message Casper silently nodded to himself with almost everything he said. It is true that ever since these 'newcomers' arrived that there have been troubles all over Persepolis. It has been tough times for the Persian locals to adjust their lifestyle to these other-cultured breeds.

"My good fellow citizen be calm, I'm sure these hard times will be over soon. Our King is doing his upmost to integrate these newcomers to our society. I hear that the Royal Guards are returning to ensure security in our beloved city."

Although Casper seemed to be spouting naive positive conjectures, this is what he truly believed. A unified Persepolis under the King.

"I, myself is working towards becoming an advisor to our King and one day become a politician. I intend to hear all the words of our people and help them within our city."

"My good man I implore your name? I am Casper son of the labour."

Shadow’s face went pale as the young man asks him his name … Thoughts rush through his head like the Great Parsua River, Is he sympathetic to the cause? Is he an informant of the King? Is he just curious?

Small beads of sweat starts to form on his brow, looking around he suddenly finds himself thinking that there are too many people just milling around, this can’t be good.

Fidgeting he looks at the young man an replies “I’m but a poor farmer, names don’t mean much when you work sunup to sundown day in and day out”

"You know I think I was a bit hasty to come to the market today, I should head back home and see if I can make arrangements to secure the remaining crops from thief’s."

Before the young man could even get another word out the famer quickly started to load up the few items he brought to market and rushes away.

Hearing the words Jehashuthra spoke to the King of Kings, filli_noctus came forward. Bowing low he addressed the court.

"O great lord, son of heaven, it is true that the people suffer greatly from crime and it is a sadness to us all that they are so sorely afflicted.

However I can not condone such foolishness as was just advised to you. The lower district is highly dangerous, not even the Royal Guard could adequately protect you from every disgruntled commoner with a rock and a building to stand on. But walking among the common folk will allow them to identify with you, see you as one of them even. I can not counsel you more strongly against allowing this to happen. If they see you as no different from them their respect will be lost and they will no longer be in awe of you. If they see you as no different from them they will wonder if you can solve the problems that are of greatest concern to them and when that happens we will no longer be able to control them and they will grow unpredictable, possibly even revolting against your benevolent rule.

For the good of Persia we cannot let this happen, O King of Kings I implore you, ignore this fools advise and keep the necessary distance between yourself and your subjects."

In response to the fool Filli Noctus' speech Jehashuthra said.

-

bah! A single visitation upon the advent of a restoration of order and with a suitable influx of guards would do no harm to the glory and majesty of the King and would be of minimal risk. Indeed it would do much to show that he, in all his majesty is conerned for the wellbeing of his children the people! Its not like he would be obliged to have a casual chat with the folk, last I checked they were as good at proskynesis as any advisor, servant or courtier!

This Filli Noctus would have it that you remain cloistered like a monk in your palace never seeing for yourself the poverty of your subjects all the while this his kind and his ilk seek to oppress and swindle the common man, the poor, and the oppressed for their own personal gain. While they blind you with their lies they take the opportunity to take advantage of the vulnerable amongst our people for their own personal power, wealth and hedonistic decadence.

Is it a wonder that crime is rife amongst the masses when the real criminals are here in your very court holding a veil across your eyes!. Cast aside the veil, make a visitation after you clean your house of vermin and restore the divine law of Mazda across the land and you will know the carnage wrought on your subjects by these criminal politicians, who through smiles and gifts seek only power and profit for themselves. They are not concerned with upholding the law of Mazda or the greater good of the people and in the end they will bring only death upon the people and the Empire.

- Jehashuthra

Top Bottom