LINESIII- Forth from the Light

I'll join once I get back to California :D

Nation/Civilization Name: Englorvel, Location: Top left, middle of the river. http://img689.imageshack.us/i/linesiiistartinglocatio.png/
Leader: High-Thane Feddel Doren

Culture: A people of battle and field, the Englorvelen have lived separated for many years, distinguished by their allegiance to different ideologies, and locales. However, within recent times, the Englorvelen have been united under the rule of Feddel Doren, an influential scholar and general, whose ideas and power swept across the land. Consolidating his rule over the Englorvelen in his homeland, Feddel Doren now looks to new realms to plunder, loot, and crush under his boot. The Englorvelen worship the deity Maenoch, who is said to put honorable warriors to rest in the halls of Verollen, a type of heaven that the Englorvelen are taught they can only reach through piety and sacrifice, or glory and honor in battle, but can be eternally vindictive and hateful to those who disobey his wrath, or so the legends say.

Government: A monarchy of sorts, the High-Thane rules over eight provinces in which he delegates regional governance to provincial officials. The High-Thane rules with near absolute power, and his representatives act as little more than servants, though they do help to prevent the High-Thane from being overwhelmed by every small detail and problem in his realm.

Cities: Capital: Nordeloch, Athforth, Delolne, Addelin, Verin

Economy: 2 (?)

Population: ???

Army: ???

Navy: ???

Technology: In war, the Englorvelen wear suits of iron chainmail, wielding long metal pikes and spears, along with iron-reinforced shields. In peace, their farms are fed using the river running through their land. The majority of their cities were once singular entities, fortress-cities of sorts, that are still surrounded by wooden or stone walls. The literacy of the nobility in Englorvelic society is high, but on average the common man has never seen the script of his own language. Having lived along-side a river for so long, their water-faring is not bad nor exceptional.

Wonders: Probably not any at the start of the game, I would assume.

Description: A proud people, the Englorvelen reside in a land of rolling hills and restful prairies, both conditions inducive to farming, fishing and mining, which form the base industries of their economy. Once divided into different kingdoms, ruled by squabbling lords whose chief concern was their own advancement, the Englorvelen have been united by a visionary and a general, who now has proclaimed himself "High-Thane", of his people. Known only as Feddel Doren, he now turns his great army to the unknown, to continue his conquest in realms yet undiscovered...

Most peoples start below; I'm in a reddish colour.

Spoiler :

And Now for something completely different.

Murair
Cities: Murair
Leader: The Senate/Kal'thzar
Culture: The ethnic make up is quite mixed, being at a crossroads of sorts has allowed for a certain amount of mixing, religion as well is still mixed.
Government: The Senate manages day to day affairs and is made up of the most wealthy and powerful citizens of Murair. In times of dire need a Servitor can be elected to lead the City.
Economy: 2- 2/0
Population: To be determined by me
Army: To be determined by me
Navy: To be determined by me
Technology: Wall building, various farming and fishing abilities proximity to the mountains has lead to a small influx of mining capabilites but the city remains primarily a trading centre.
Wonders:
Description: Murair actually translates as Great Wall. It stands in a strategic position between mountain and sea and allows for the city to extract a great price from people seeking its security.

I don't think I've ever done a republic before....I'm too British.

I love this multi cradle idea.:)
I'm the light blue dot in the bottom, second from the left cradle.

Spoiler :

For the love of all that is good, LoE, stop making fake Englands in Every. NES. You. Join.

Gah! But I never got a chance to flesh out my feudal-state-thing in Civver's fresh start! :(

Although, I do have plans for this. Going to expand on their religion, and make it a key element in their development. On that note, I'm off to design a brutal, hateful deity who will drink your blood.

Story:
The thunder of drums echoed in the night, through the forests and hills. A procession of black-robed persons, bearing an unidentified body, made their way through the Grand Avenue. The Blessing had begun. As the men and women, garbed in the black darker than even the night that covered the land, made their way through the streets, the townspeople threw themselves on their stomachs, hitting the cold stone hard, but as their blood trickled in front of the path of the hooded, robed men, they chanted and exulted. It was the seventeenth day of the Long Night, the darkness that coated and froze the land, that the Englorvelen feared would never leave, for the Long Day, if they did not prostrate themselves before Maenoch.

The Seventeenth Day of the Long Night was holy in the eyes of the priests and clerics of Maenoch. It commemorated the Day of Birthing, in which Maenoch shaped the world, in His infinite wisdom. Yet to create the world, Maenoch drew from His essence, and for this, the Englorvel would eternally pay. Bidden by their dark master, on the Seventeenth Day of the Long Night, the Englorvelen would make an offering of blood, body and soul to their god. Chosen from the greatest warriors, they would offer up a mortal vessel for the god, to show their gratitude for their continued existence. For without this offering, they believed, they damned themselves and the world. Without this offering of blood, they showed ungratefulness, ingratitude, self-interest to their god. And Maenoch was not a forgiving god. No, Maenoch snuffed his victims, made the wayward feel his wrath. Maenoch was a god of war.

Approaching the Great Temple, the drums reached a crescendo. The body that some at first thought was a corpse, that the clerics carried, suddenly was filled with life. The crack of fear lit the fires of resistance, and the body squirmed and writhed, the voice that echoed from it shrieked in fear. This man would be offered to Maenoch. And to the High-Thane. It was the first time in the history of the Englorvelen that a head of state would preside over the ritual. Before the Unity, as the people called it, the priesthood, the only international entity in Englorvelic society up until that point would preside entirely over the ceremony. Only Maenoch would be honored, and only the clerics and priests would be present in the Temple when the sacrifice was made. But this sacrifice was different.

As the clerics approached the temple, in the crowd, several cries of heresy rang out in the silence. Many believed it was an insult to Maenoch, for even the great High-Thane to be honored in such a ceremony. Of course, these misguided individuals were quickly and mercilessly silenced. Guards, wearing the masks customary on the Seventeenth Day among those who served in war, carried the screaming man out. He, too, would be sacrificed. As a sign of subservience to Maenoch and the High-Thane.

Wearing the Night Mask, the High-Thane sat in a stone chair in front of the dais that formed the Circle of Offering. Through the slits of the dark, malevolent skull, the peering eyes of the man beneath moved back and forth, taking in every inch of the Temple's interior. The Blessing was his explanation for this heretical idea, that a mortal might be honored alongside Maenoch. Were he not to be struck down by the vengeful god for his disobedience, it would be a sign that the god sanctioned his rule, that he ruled with the right and will of Maenoch Himself.

The eyes of the crowd strained to see the dark-robed clerics enter the Temple. Maenoch's will would be done tonight. Maenoch could be a grateful god, could offer power beyond ken to his followers, should they serve him with honor, peity, or with the point of a pike. Maenoch delighted in battle, in blood-letting. In pain. Pain to His enemies, the enemies of his followers. And Maenoch chose his egg out from the bunch well. Only the strongest, wisest, most cunning, could ever hope to serve Maenoch truly, and part the Long Night, bring the Long Day, and continue the cycle of the world.

None doubted that the clerics and priests of Maenoch had this ability, for with every eighty days the Long Night was parted, and the Long Day began. A sign that Maenoch was appeased by their sacrifice, and their continued existence until the Long Night came again was assured. Inside the Temple, the sacrifice was placed on the table, bound. The High-Thane had ordained this particular sacrifice himself. Lord Polrel Caynan had led the armies of the east against the High-Thane in the War of a Hundred Days, the conflict in which the High-Thane had seized power. And sacrifice was his punishment. And a worthy sacrifice it was! Such a cunning soul, a respectable enemy, to be sent to Him. The priesthood could not object.

Laid bare on the table, the man squirmed and shrieked. The clicks and intonations of the rite that would send this man's soul to Maenoch were pronounced. The Speaker-Priest slit his dagger into the man's heart... And the High-Thane drank the blood. The thunder of drums... Stopped.

So is it 80 Earth days of light and darkness (1,920 hours each), because that is the speed of rotation? If so, what is the mass of the sun compared to ours?
****​
Chumbur

Cities: Chumburstead*
Leader: Highest Cleric of the Bright Queen Ana Cedillm/Haseri
Culture: The country is a Matriarchy, with a fully prevalent monotheistic religion in the form of the High Church of the Bright Queen, the Defender of Her Chosen People. Women are the most important people in society, for are they not the ones who bring forth into the world the next generation? As such, men are kept to being the hard labourers, farming, mining and tending to the houses of the women as they are far to busy thinking up technological marvels to do it themselves.
The age when one is an adult is 14, the rite being a secret, never written down, presided over by a local Cleric. As such, it is never the same for any generation. The army, navy and any profession where wrath is involved (like guards/police) are made up of Old Children, children who never took the rite of age. As such, they may never have children legally, but they are 'innocents' in the eye of the Queen, allowing them to pass into Bliss, despite their crimes. There is no such thing as marriage, but healthy males are traded between families to work and provide children.
Government: An oligarcical theocracy, made up of the Highest Cleric, and however many High Clerics she chooses, who each govern their own parish, controlling Clerics, in-training Low Clerics, and everybody else.
Population:
Army:
Navy:
Technology: Medicine and Defensive technologies.
Wonders:
Description: These people are generally very tall and tend to be willowy. They have fine, wavy hair that varies from pale blonde to brown, eyes that are blue, grey, or hazel, and light to medium brown skin. They typically have triangular faces, with flattish noses and eyes that are narrow and close-set.

The High Church of the Bright Queen, the Defender of Her Chosen People
The first humans were born from the stars, because they were bored. After they grew tired of their new playthings, they left them on a cold dark rock, beset by demons and beasts. Then the Queen found them, took pity on them, and vowed to protect them. Some humans turned away her offer of protection, but she did so anyway. She can be seen during the daytime, illuminating the planet with her warm protection.
The current symbol of the Church, the Aegis of Prophet Collucy, who sacrificed herself to protect her land from the <archive incomplete>, is a chalice with a knot tied around the handle. If another major Prophet is declared by the Highest Cleric (and the Prophet cannot be a cleric herself), it is certain the imagery will be changed, as well as the calendar starting again. It is currently 218 of the Age of the Prophet Collucy.
The four deadly sins, which will have one cast out from under the Queen's protection upon one's death are wrath, recklessness, dishonesty and cowardice. The highest virtues are responsibility, charity, diligence and wisdom. As such, they will never start a fight, and never rush headlong into a war.
The afterlives are Bliss, where the good go, and Fear, where the Queen banishes demons. The Holy Book is more a history of the church, constantly being updated by a secretive section of the Church known as the Scribes. Ever since writing was invented, their symbol, the Quill of Prophet Dene, who gave writing to humanity, has not changed, despite many changes to the main symbol.

By the Mingh river.

*Possible city names: Minghford, Bringham, Foringstone, Ingham, Mondingrove, Berackbury, Tisingmoor, Tretterbluff, Beramstone.
Last part of the name signifies where the city is/what is known for. ...ham= Farm, ...ford= Bridge (the first part being the name of the river), ...stone= Mining, ...grove= Forest, ...bury= Religious Site, ...moor= Harbour, ...bluff= Hill, ...stead= just means 'A Place'.
****​
Not enough?

So is it 80 Earth days of light and darkness (1,920 hours each), because that is the speed of rotation? If so, what is the mass of the sun compared to ours?

Depends on the velocity its travelling around the sun and the radius from the sun. Otherwise I can probably calculate it, assuming earth variables.

a) I'm almost certain everyone who's guessed the causes are wildly off-base and b) who really would know at this point in history/cares? Try to stay in character, for once. :rolleyes:

Bottom-right, still composing my ideas.

Umbra
Cities: Mourne
Leader: Nightlord Jaladan/Shadowbound
Culture: Nominally, entirely composed of the Nightcult, though older animist faiths are not actively discouraged.
Government: Theocratic Confederation. The Nightlord serves as high priest of the Umbran religion, ruling the city-state of Mourne, and extracts tribute and tithes from his vassal cities and tribes.
Technology: Advanced irrigation, agriculture, and architecture. Metalworking has been neglected.
Wonders:
Description: In the struggle between Night and Day, the Umbrans serve the dark. They consider themselves the chosen people of the Dark Lord Penumbra. They venerate him, and honor his victory during the Dark Period just as they ritually despair over his defeat at the beginning of the Light Period. For their ceremonies they constructed a temple, Mourne, which became the center of the Nightcult. The high priests of that faith used their religious influence to build up a city around the temple, and use their spiritual authority to maintain control of an army of levied tribal warriors.

a) I'm almost certain everyone who's guessed the causes are wildly off-base and b) who really would know at this point in history/cares? Try to stay in character, for once. :rolleyes:

I'm incorporating it into the IC religion. I figure it would be viewed a lot like eclipses by ancient societies; end of the universe, death, etc.

Kurtarazi(bottom left where the river meets the sea)

Capital city :Serigala
Culture:The Kurtaraz are a very peaceful people and they rarely even get into arguments amongst themselves however they often debate on issues placed before them in their democratic government. The most important thing to the people is their boat or if they are wealthy enough a small ship.Every year there is a festival where there are single man boat races and a three day competition for the largest fish. The city has developed into a major trading port and fishing town due to this influence while the three small villages have more of a focus on agriculture.
Government: Democracy,every male may vote on all decisions passed by an elected council there is 1 representative for every thousand people.
economy: 2-2/0
Technology: Naval, Farming and Defensive tech
Army:
Navy:
Wonders:
Description: a peaceful democratic people that fish and or trade for their living

Claiming upper middle cradle, on the upper left river next to the hills. Map soon to follow, then below, culture tomorrow.

O, O, how foolish, how foolish, O,
How foolish is he, is he
Who walks at twilight or still worse, at night
In the wilds of our country.

Annokha
Cities: Kettedin (capital)
Leader: Chiefs / North King
Culture: Almost indistinguishable from their neighboring tribes except by virtue of their agriculture, horses, and numbers, the Annokha know much of war and raiding and far less of craftsmanship. They place a high value on the spirit of battle and have a fairly large slave economy based on the labor of those they capture in hit-and-run raids. Art is not unknown; there are petroglyphs scattered about the hills of this region, and they do like taking fine works from their neighbors. Singing, musicianship, and oral storytelling are held in extremely high regard. They are animists.
Government: Originally a consensus-based tribal government, war chiefs have found ways to subvert the authority of the political leaders and have in effect set up a parallel, more powerful system of government.
Technology: The military is fond of horse and short bow. Domestic technologies are fairly simple. Pottery and agriculture are around, of course, but the margins of society still hunt and gather to supplement this. Agriculture still uses the foot plow, construction is only at a basic level, and they generally have to trade for metal tools.
Wonders:
Description: Annokha are an unsympathetic, fierce tribe of slave raiders from the hills they call the Tambuk, green and cool compared to the lowlands nearby. Expansionist and ruthless, they are in a state of mild hostility with most of the people they meet (they don’t really regard raiding as synonymous with “war”; war is an altogether different and much more destructive endeavor), but simultaneously quite eager to cultivate trade links. However, their capital at Kettedin is a place where any merchant can find a safe haven, and in general, men with whom they have a good rapport will almost certainly not fall victim to their wrath.

Other names:
Daussarauk (“and Her Name is Thunder”): the hill on whose side Kettedin (“Mountain’s Shadow”) is built.
Unassigned:
Adowakitt
Tannituk
Tanik (“Dying place”)
Chipik
Akatoo – house of the one who sneezed

Errodim
Cities: Errodi.
Leader: Gothor The Light skinned/erez87
Culture: The Errodim live in sheltered cities that are built wide and tall and has roofs that usually cover almost all of the city, hiding the population from the sun. Their skin color has become a little brighter then others from this way of life. Their culture stands behind the ideal that darkness is better then light and that the dark would protect its followers. A dualistic religion of a dark god of life and a light god of death is the main worship of Errodim. The Errodim are highly accepting of outsiders and many live within the city in lighted suburbs. Outsiders are usually hired by Errodim in the surrounding villages to do manual work in the light hours, usually food production. Outsiders are also allowed to reach high in the ranks of Errodim but they can never become citizens and join the ranks of the citizen council until denying the light and living their entire lives in the dark.
Government: The Errodim have a very liberal rules that allow many freedoms for both citizens and outsiders. The government itself is a citizen council that joins together in a central structure to vote for important things. The Council also votes for a leader every second darkness outside of the city walls in a great arena made for it. The leader has nearly complete power over the Errodim but some laws do exist above him to not allow one to take over the state forever.
Technology: Errodim are highly advanced and use mostly range weaponry in their battles. Their architecture science is highly advanced to create large roofs that can cover whole cities.
Wonders: none yet
Description: The lightest of all in skin color their height is rather average with the rest of the world. The Errodim deny the light and true Errodim live only in darkness and do not come out in the sun light ever. Their denial of the light comes in all areas of culture from a roofed city and villages to carts that are completely closed from light to cross between the city and villages. The Errodim are also nearly 100% urbanized and hire outsider non-Errodim to do jobs that require standing in the sun. The Errodim clothing is very colorful and covers the whole body (especially when living the cities). They detest close combat and consider it impure and part of the light side. They prefer to fight with ranged weapons and have developed their ranged weapons into amazing heights. They hire outside mercenaries to fight close combat for them when needed but they tend to not go to wars and prefer living in their city and few villages in peace. They wall and roof anywhere they live in allowing for easier defense of their settlements and they are truly defensive. Denying the light and hiring outsiders for everything that requires light hours work made the Errodim extremely open to outsiders to the point where they welcome outsiders in with parades and a special Errodi worker called "Welcomer". Errodim to not understand slavery and do not posses slaves, but outsiders who bring slaves with them are allowed to retain them in accordance with their own ways, but one cannot join the Errodim citizen class if he owns slaves. Truly some may say outsiders allow the Errodim to exist at all but the Errodim pay greatly in wages and honor to the outsiders who honor the Errodim laws. Those few outsiders who choose to go against Errodim laws are quickly put to death in front of the citizen council not always with a trial. the love and need of outsiders and the need for a powerful economy made the Errodim master traders. Only merchant Errodim can be seen in light hours (usually either dressed all over their bodies or inside their roofed carts or any structure) and they tend to be highly efficient. The Errodim within the cities manufacture many finished goods that are sold by Errodi merchants all over their known world and new trade routes are always sought after. Errodi Merchants are usually also great explorers who look for new trade and a special single close combat rank of Errodi exist among the merchants who must normally defend themselves from close combatants who wish to steal their goods. This order of Warrior merchants has its own special battle technique that is dependent on speed of movement (to defend from daggers at your back) and speed of kill (better kill the guy who is preparing to stab you). Merchants always come in at least pairs who guard each other's back.

more to come as the nes goes on. Start me anywhere that is green preferably in a place rich in raw materials.

Spoiler :

Zalin
Cities: Zalin
Leader: The Grand Guardian of the City (Despot)
Culture:
Population:
Army:
Navy:
Technology: Good ship design compared to surrounding peoples, as well as respectable skills in masonry. However, they are rather primitive farmers and lack the proficiency with horses that their southern neighbors posses.
Wonders:
Description: Zalin was once but a small fishing village off the coast of the mainland, humble and insignificant. However, a combination of chance and Annokhan aggression in the south caused a sizable and consistent stream of immigrants and refugees for a while. With a sudden increase in manpower, the island boomed in a period of prosperity, fishermen and merchants coming and going from Zalin's ports and bringing in riches and plentiful food.

These days however, the constant stream of immigrants has since slowed down considerably. Stories of the outside world scare the common folk of the island, causing a natural distrust of outsiders. Walls and fortifications are abundant on the island, farseeing watchmen manning dozens of towers. Xenophobic and paranoid, the upper classes of Zalin want to see the outer world shut out at all cost. Only merchants are allowed to regularly enter and leave the city, and even their freedoms are beginning to be infringed upon.

They mainly worship local gods, bordering on animist. Sorry for the generic religion, but I think it suits them pretty well :p

Is this good Iggy? Feel free to shorten up the description for the stats.

I tried to update to include those who wrote in where they wanted to be, but was unsure of some. Especially Shadowbound, so I didn't add his. Let me know if I am wrong.

Kevygi
Cities: Kuduk
Leader: Rolefehe / Adrogans
Culture: The Kevygi people are a collection of the tribes of the river peoples who have been united successfully through decades of war, alliance, and marriages. This has created a caste system based on how a tribe was brought into the new nation (listing of the various tribes/castes to come). They are a warrior people who value skill at arms and skill at craftsmanship.
Government: A High Chieftain advised by a council of tribal / caste leaders. They can influence his decision but the High Chieftain is an absolute ruler.
Technology: The military is fond of the spear and the axe with a fair amount of cavalry. They are craftsmen and have been focused on metalworking and agriculture.
Wonders:
Description: The people are all slight variations on a theme. They tend towards dark hair and skin and gray eyes. Each person has a tattoo on the left forearm which proclaims the tribe to which they are a member.

Other Names:
Lavotot, Sewiri, Sedulina, Darilaw, Beras, Puconote, Cyhiyo

That's where I'm starting, Adrogans! :(

Top Bottom