40 Civilizations: Choose Your Own Adventure

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's wrong with these people around here?

Geez, a smiley cutting down a crowd of peaceful hippies that want a cultural victory from behind an M60?

What a hopeless society that we live in...

Geesh...

:confused:

I say why let 'em off the hook so easily. Why not stretch the pain out a little longer and tortue 'em a lil bit. Like a domesticated feline that toys with a lizard for awhile until said feline inadvertently punctures its claw through the lizards chest cavity.

I'll tell you what we should do...Let's put cameras at red-light intersections and tell 'em Big Brother is watching! That ought to do the trick.

:eekdance:

NEEEEEEEEEEEWS UPDATE!

Judaism goes wild! Surprisingly, all 3 spreads of Judaism we're not caused by Missionaries. Good for me :D
Spoiler :

A marriage happens with some Celtic guy and an Iranian girl! Naturally, Boudica goes overboard with the festivities
Spoiler :

But...our friendship with our Iranian neighbours is still...lacking
Spoiler :

In a story related screenshot, Niko explores the area around Thebes. Then I stick him in Thebes and force him to rest. That scout will be there for a little while. I hope that AI Cleopatra doesn't think it's a sign of threat. That wouldn't be good
Spoiler :

And we get another great prophet!
Spoiler :

It's time for my first war! Actually...it was initiated by Cleopatra. Niko's intelligence meter is so high in his personality that I should probably start making friends with Egypt. Sorry, Hitler, it's nothing personal
Spoiler :

We meet Yemen! The last civ in the game! ...I think
Spoiler :

And that Masada? We finally finish it!
Spoiler :

We find Iron! But...it doesn't leave us much choice. For Iron, should we attack our friends, the South Africans? Or our friends, the Portugese? Comeon, Civ! I just made a Portugese character and you want me to attack Portugal??? I think my ivory is good enough....
Spoiler :

Meanwhile, Judaism somehow spreads all the way to India. Yes, I'm so awesome that I don't even need Missionaries
Spoiler :

Meanwhile, Cleopatra build's a strong wonder
Spoiler :

Our old Skygod buddy comes in and destroys the English Empire and that Pericles look-alike
Spoiler :

After calling Egypt the "technology capital" I hoped that they actually would be focusing on technology. Luckely, they managed to rank pretty high.
Spoiler :

So if Egypt is the tech capital, what would Sumeria be??? Also, I am nowhere on that list :(

We get yet another great priest. I just settle this guy in
Spoiler :

My rabbi (Judaism Missionary) has finally reached Thebes! Now Egypt will join our religion!!! I guess this is a good spot to end this news update
Spoiler :

And don't forget about your daily shot of our world map!
Spoiler :

Have a nice day!

I'd planned to update this tonight. However, something came up and now I'll update this tomorrow.

So instead of the update, I will take this time to tell you something different about the next decision.

See, the junction on the next decision is a different sort of junction. It's a survival junction where 2 of the 4 choices result in Niko's death while the other 2 choices...well...he survives. If we end up picking the one where he dies, you guys have to choose again and a death meter will show up on post #2 showing how many times we have died. Try not to die too much :D

Conserning personality, they will be grouped. Like, for example, #3 may give Violent and Intelligent and #2 may give Religious and Friendly. Violent and Friendly, and Intelligent and Religious will not be grouped together.

And also: the next update will be the debut of the stories plot! Which I guarantee will be better than the plot on my first story :lol:

Thanks for reading :D

Intelligent and Religious will not be grouped together.

I know plenty of intelligent religious people... like... uhm....

Elizabeth II.

Pre-19th century everyone was religious, so by saying religion is the opposite of intelligence is BS.
To name a few:

Galileo: proved that the earth orbits the sun, was persecuted by the catholic church for that, and despite that still remained catholic and prayed every day.

Charles Darwin: Remained Christian for years after publishing his natural selection book. Became Agnostic afterwards (he alway thought there was a god, just didn't no which)

Isaac Newton: Loyal Christians, founder of modern physics.

Albert Einstein: Considered a genius, was persecute by the Nazi's because of his religion.

Erwin Rommel: Wrote the book on modern land tactics. WW2 general and Orthodox Christian.

Elizabeth II: Converted the country to Anglicism.

Saladin: Leader of Arabia in Civ IV, need I say more?

Gandhi: Charismatic leader (not in Civ IV but in RL) who convinced England to let India succeed from the empire. Heavy Hindu.

Name some pre-Nietzsche intellect and he would have been religious.

:eek:

I never said that you can't be intelligent and religious in real life. It's just that in the context of the story, they won't be together. Since for the plot I need two pairs of traits that are as opposite to each other as possible.

I can't spoil anything past that :D

Pre-19th century everyone was religious, so by saying religion is the opposite of intelligence is BS.
To name a few:

Galileo: proved that the earth orbits the sun, was persecuted by the catholic church for that, and despite that still remained catholic and prayed every day.

Charles Darwin: Remained Christian for years after publishing his natural selection book. Became Agnostic afterwards (he alway thought there was a god, just didn't no which)

Isaac Newton: Loyal Christians, founder of modern physics.

Albert Einstein: Considered a genius, was persecute by the Nazi's because of his religion.

Erwin Rommel: Wrote the book on modern land tactics. WW2 general and Orthodox Christian.

Elizabeth II: Converted the country to Anglicism.

Saladin: Leader of Arabia in Civ IV, need I say more?

Gandhi: Charismatic leader (not in Civ IV but in RL) who convinced England to let India succeed from the empire. Heavy Hindu.

Name some pre-Nietzsche intellect and he would have been religious.

You forgot some people:

Belisarius, the famous general of the Eastern Roman Empire who helped reconquer Italy, north Africa, and some of southern Spain. He was East Orthodox, I think, but I'm not sure.

Julius Caesar, who was the High Priest of Jupiter before he joined the army and eventually became dictator of the Republic of Rome (or was it the Roman Empire yet?)

Joan of Arc (though she may be considered just religious) is a saint who led the French from a failing nation on the verge of collapse to recapturing much of the lost territory, and I think Paris.

And many many more.

Belisarius, the famous general of the Eastern Roman Empire who helped reconquer Italy, north Africa, and some of southern Spain. He was East Orthodox, I think, but I'm not sure.

Joan of Arc (though she may be considered just religious) is a saint who led the French from a failing nation on the verge of collapse to recapturing much of the lost territory, and I think Paris.
I considered adding them. Heres why I didn't:
I didn't know enough about Belisarius conquests and whether it was mostly tactics or mostly well funded armies that helped him do so much.

Joan D'Arc: She was a schizophrenic who got lucky. She participated in two battle, one of which she won, one of which she lost. Here is the history behind it:
She convinced the Bishop of Paris that God could speak to here. He, in turn, convinced the king that what she was saying was true. She then said the god told here to take a French Army and liberate Orleans. The king gave her an army and she outnumbered the English in the battle, given that this was at the end of a 4 year siege, the English assumed that the French didn't have the resources to launch a counter-attack. She took them by surprised and won the battle.
The second battle she fought in the French technically won, however in the battle she was captured, and executed. I consider that her victories, given the circumstances of the battles were more luck then skill, so although she was very religious, she wasn't intellectual enough to be added to the list.

As for Julius Ceaser: I didn't know he was a high priest of Jupiter, but I did know he killed some Greeks and Gauls in the name of Jupiter.

Names I also could have included:
Every Great Scientist in Civ IV
Every Great General in Civ IV
Every Great Engineer in CIV IV

Belisarius was a brilliant military mind and helped conquer back most of the Western Roman Empire; however, after he and Justinian died, the vast majority of it was lost to Celts/Barbarians.

You have to have intelligence to fool an entire nation into leading their army, especially if you're a woman who's only 17 years of age. Though, her "ability" to have God "speak through her" gave her a lot of leverage with the church, she still managed to have enough political insight to secure a position of power in France. Though, remember that I said she might just be considered religious.

Oh, and I forgot Asoka. He managed to reunite India through conquest, and then converted to Buddhism(?) and was very religious from there on out.

From what I know it was mostly luck. Who knows maybe god really did talk to her.

She told the bishop things that she couldn't have known, and claimed god told her. That is what allowed her to lead the army.

She did find the Sword of Mars. I think.

She did find the Sword of Mars. I think.
Thats correct. She claimed the sword was under some church and that god wanted her to use it to drive the British from Orleans. Sure enough the sword was there, so they gave her a chance to complete the second part of her prophecy.

Too bad she was executed. The British executed her for treason, right? Which doesn't seem right to me, seeing as she was a French national. But anyway, I think we've spammed the thread enough and you've showed that your trivia is better than mine.

:(

Ah, right.

The treason still sounds like a stretch to me. England hadn't conquered all of France, and England had invaded France - it wasn't a colony or something. But that's all old politics. Let's go back to annoying Yoshi for more story!

The treason still sounds like a stretch to me. England hadn't conquered all of France, and England had invaded France - it wasn't a colony or something. But that's all old politics. Let's go back to annoying Yoshi for more story!
Actually, what happened was the King of France's eldest daughter (He had 3 daughters and no sons) married the King of England's eldest son. Once that king died, England claimed that his son was the rightful heir to the French throne (after all, thats how hereditary rule works), and installed him.

France didn't like that, and tried to overthrow their new king, hence starting the war.

England wasn't invading, France was just rebelling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom