Israel Mod for Civ 5

KingYosef

Warlord
EDITED ON 9/27:

Shalom everyone!

Since Israel has not been included in the release of Civ 5, I am asking if there is a SERIOUS developer that would like to create a Israel mod?

I speak Hebrew and supplied the Hebrew sounds for the Esnav's Israel mod for Civ 4, and, I would be happy to create and supply the Hebrew language sounds for a Civ 5 mod for Israel.

So, with that being said, name what you guys think should be included in a Israel mod with what Civ 5 is capable to offer?

1. Leaders?

2. Unique Buildings?

3. Unique Units?

4. Other ideas?

This thread will probably be the most sought after threads for developers seeing that a Israel civilization was one of the most sought after mods for Civ 4.

My ideas so far, including the ideas from those in this thread and from the Civ 4 mod...

1. Leaders?

David Ben Gurion (Charismatic, Organized)
Solomon (Spiritual, Industrious)
David (Expansive, Spiritual)
Moses (Protective, Spiritual)
Samson (Aggressive, Charismatic)
Joshua (Aggressive, Expansive)
Deborah (creative "Song of Deborah" and organized "she judged her people")

2. Unique Buildings?

Kotel (rep. Walls)
Cistern (rep. Aqueduct -- cheaper to build & increased city defense)
Tower of David (rep. Castle)
Mossad (rep. Intelligence Agency)
Sukkah (rep. Colosseum)
Beth Midrash (rep. library)
Beth Din (rep. Courthouse)
Beth Cholim (rep. Hospital)

3. Unique Units?

Maccabee (rep. Swordsman)
Magach (rep. Modern Armor)
Shayetet 13 (rep. Marine)
Palmach (rep. Infantry)
Maryanu (rep. Chariot)
Merkava (Replacing Modern Armour, Has +1 Speed and +5 Strength)
Peltist(Replacing Archer, has a bonus vs. Melee units)

4. Other ideas?

National Symbols:
Star of David
Manorah
Shofar
Torah Scroll
Unique Trait: Promised Land, decreases unhappiness created from war.
Farm is called Kibbutz

Cities:
Jerusalem (Capital)
BeerSheva
Tel Aviv
Hebron
Jericho
Bethlehem
Rishon Lezion
Metsada
Haifa
Elat
Ashkelon
Ashdod
Safed
Tiberias
Kiriat Shmona
Ceasaria
Natanya
Bat Yam
Holon
Petah Tikvah
Lod
Hadera
and many more...

Are you aiming here for an ancient representation of the civilization?

Leader: Solomon (David?)

UU: ???

UB: Synagogue

Are you aiming here for an ancient representation of the civilization?

Whatever you think, this thread is going to be a resource for those that want to create a Israel mod for Civ 5. If you can, go through the list of 4 questions and tell everyone what you think. :)

Whatever you think, this thread is going to be a resource for those that want to create a Israel mod for Civ 5. If you can, go through the list of 4 questions and tell everyone what you think. :)

Unfortunately I am far too ignorant of the nation's history to answer the questions :) Although I think an ancient representation of the civilization would probably better reflect their historical influence.

Leader: Solomon (David?)

UU: ???

UB: Synagogue

If the naming of religious buildings is limited, then yes, I think synagogue should be included. In Civ 4, synagogue became a religious building option upon a city being converted to Judaism.

Why don't we wait until we know more about Civ5 before we start developing mods?

Why don't we wait until we know more about Civ5 before we start developing mods?

Please stay on topic, as I said in the original post, this thread is because we are pretty much 99.9 percent sure that a Israel civ will not be included in the release. Getting taking about a mod now will help prepare us to make a great Israel mod! :)

Do you have any ideas to contribute?

I think he meant we would be wise to know what's possible to mod in Civ 5 before making plans that are too ambitious.

In any case, I've wanted to see some lesser known Hebrew figures as leaders such as some of the Judges, Samson and Gideon. I'd imagine Samson would maybe be Aggressive and Protective. Caleb or Joshua might have been nomadic and spiritual, but I don't remember what other traits there are. King Manasseh, Ahab and Josiah all crossed my mind also.

A unique research could possibly be Gleaning, which would allow better food production, prevent starvation (due to poisoning or otherwise) or do something similar to a unique granary. Another possible unique building could be Solomon's Temple. Maybe the unique festivals could occur on certain turns and offer bonuses. That would be a cool yet maybe hard to implement way to make the Israelites interesting and different to play as. Another unique building could be a 'Refuge' that prevented rioting and added peace to the city.

The units mentioned sound good. Maybe they could have a special promotion called 'Krav Maga Training' that gives them a disarming bonus and an enemy misses an attack. Again, not sure how that would work, but it's an idea.

I somewhat hope Civ 5 goes away with unique buildings since they always rather irritated me.

I think he meant we would be wise to know what's possible to mod in Civ 5 before making plans that are too ambitious.

In any case, I've wanted to see some lesser known Hebrew figures as leaders such as some of the Judges, Samson and Gideon. I'd imagine Samson would maybe be Aggressive and Protective. Caleb or Joshua might have been nomadic and spiritual, but I don't remember what other traits there are. King Manasseh, Ahab and Josiah all crossed my mind also.

Good ideas, I threw up Samson and Joshua in the main list for leader.

Maccabee (rep. Swordsman)

just so you know the macabees were a family of people who helped overthrow the selucids so making them a unique unit would be like making genghis khan the unique unit for mongolia.

just so you know the macabees were a family of people who helped overthrow the selucids so making them a unique unit would be like making genghis khan the unique unit for mongolia.

You are right and wrong....

"The name Maccabee[7] is sometimes seen used as a synonym for the entire Hasmonean Dynasty, but the Maccabees proper were Judah Maccabee and his four brothers. The name Maccabee was a personal epithet of Judah, and the later generations were not his direct descendants. Although there is no definitive explanation of what the term means, one suggestion is that the name derives from the Aramaic maqqaba, "the hammer", in recognition of his ferocity in battle.[8] It is also possible that the name Maccabee is an acronym for the Torah verse "Mi chamocha ba'elim YHWH", "Who is like unto thee among the mighty, O Lord!"[9]"

So, while the Macabees were a family, it wasn't literally one family that overthrew the Seleucids, it was a joint effort...

"The Maccabees (Hebrew: מכבים:) or מקבים, Makabim or Maqabim; Greek Μακκαβαῖοι, /makav'εï/) were a Jewish rebel army who liberated parts of the Land of Israel from the rule of the Seleucid Empire. They founded the Hasmonean dynasty, which ruled from 164 BCE to 63 BCE, reasserting the Jewish religion, expanding the boundaries of Israel and reducing the influence of Hellenism."

We see the name carries a broader meaning than just the name of Genghis Khan. Maccabean rule, revolt, ect.

Also to clarify, the Maccabean armies were mainly sword fighters, as this was the main weapon of choice during their time.

Top Bottom