Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Hi! New to board and the civ games :)
Q: What is the purpose of using religious missonaries on other land's cities?

Oh! And where can I see the benefits from the different leader traits? Like agressive, philosofical etc..

I have been worrying about resources. The whole interface is still confusing for me, so I haven't been able to figure this out: Can I trade my last available resource away, e.g. if I have one source of iron, can I trade it away?

Or in other words, when it says "1 available" on the diplomacy menu, does it mean that it's one, or one extra in addition to what I am using?

Mortera said:
Welcome to Civ and CFC :wavey:
Mortera said:
To get your religion to them. I think the main poit of this is to get them the same religion as you, so diplomacy is easier. Also if you get the shrine, you get i gpt per city that has yuor religion.

Attachments

• civilization_traits.pdf
    87.7 KB · Views: 538
Skudor said:
I have been worrying about resources. The whole interface is still confusing for me, so I haven't been able to figure this out: Can I trade my last available resource away, e.g. if I have one source of iron, can I trade it away?

Or in other words, when it says "1 available" on the diplomacy menu, does it mean that it's one, or one extra in addition to what I am using?
It means 1, ie. if you trade it away you do not have it.

Samson said:
It means 1, ie. if you trade it away you do not have it.

OK thanks! :) (probably a good option to have, I just wish the game would warn me!)

Mortera said:

IIRC it has a dual purpose. Firstly, A AI civilization which has the same state-religion as your civ is more positive towards you in diplomatic negotiations. They care about their felow believers so to say.

Secondly, and this is a bit more complicated, religion is a cash-cow for your civilization if you manage to build the shrine of that particular civilization in the city which found it. Example: You manage to found Hinduism in your capital. Apart from the clear advantage of the buildings asociated with it, you are able to build a shrine in the founding city with a great person (in this case the prophet). This has the great advantage that you get one gold per turn for each city in the world with that particular religion. Hence the use of misionaries on cities other than yours. If you found more than one religion in your civ, you can do the same for each religion. If you play it right, you will be able to keep research at 100% the whole game.

Couple of quick questions:

What causes the 'We Love The King/Prime Minister/President Day' and what are the effects? It doesn't seem to work anything like the Civ3 version.

Are monestaries the only way to produce missionaries? I noticed that after I researched replacable parts, I could still produce missionaries in cities that had already built a monastery, but if I hadn't already built a monastery for that particular religion, there was no way to produce more missionaries.

Thanks.

Grogs said:
Are monestaries the only way to produce missionaries? I noticed that after I researched replacable parts, I could still produce missionaries in cities that had already built a monastery, but if I hadn't already built a monastery for that particular religion, there was no way to produce more missionaries.
I know that the organised religeon civic allows you to build missionaries anywhere.

toller pretzl said:
I miss the grid. Is there a way to turn it on ?

Yes, there's a button for it in the lower right-hand corner of the screen. CTRL-T also works.

Grogs said:
What causes the 'We Love The King/Prime Minister/President Day' and what are the effects? It doesn't seem to work anything like the Civ3 version.

The WLTK days are caused in the same manner as they were before - big enough population (more than 6? not sure, might be dependent on map size or something, plus no angry citizens and at least half of them happy methinks) but have a different effect - they last for one turn at a time and aren't guaranteed when you meet those criteria but have a chance of occuring each turn, and any turn where they do happen, that city costs no maintenance(sp?) for a turn. Basically it saves you a few bob.

You need a monastery to exist in a city to produce a missionary, and they're still available after Replaceable Parts but no new monasteries can be built. The exception is the Organised Religion civic, which increases building production in cities with your state religion and allows you to build missionaries for any religion present in the city - handy just before you switch to Free Religion to maximise the culture/happiness bonuses.

Another thing I havent figured out is this. I have 3 cities bound together by roads. yet when I enter the city info page, there's only 1 trade route present in all 3. London have a trade route with York, and visa versa. And Nottingham is trading with London.

Why aren't there routes between York and Nottingham, and why doesnt London get anything from the route to Nottingham?

I was playing last night and was attacking with an infantry against a knight and the knight won. Wow, bullets against swords? Makes me remember back to the first civ when a tank would go up against a warrior and the warrior would win.

Anybody else have this problem?

Grogs said:

I think monasteries obsolete with Scientific Method, not Replaceable Parts. I'm not sure how they relate to each other.

I do know that I hold off on getting Scientific Method until I've put monasteries for each of my religions in each of my cities, but that's because I'm an obsessive completist. :)

I don't understand 'workboats'. One of the options when I create on is to 'automate' it, but I'm not sure what that actually does, because I'll usually still see the workboat in the city where I created it. Any clues, please?

jeannie said:
I don't understand 'workboats'. One of the options when I create on is to 'automate' it, but I'm not sure what that actually does, because I'll usually still see the workboat in the city where I created it. Any clues, please?

You've got to have a resource they can use (fish, crabs, oil, etc.) within your cultural boundaries in order for them to be of any use. Steer the workboat over the resource and a new icon will appear (fishing boat for example.) Pressing the icon will destroy the work boat, but produce a permanent fishing boat over the icon. Typically, you'll get a bonus like +1 food, +1 health, but it varies by resource.

Top Bottom