Alexander

Is there any way to get a road on the 2 desert tiles between Pelusium, and Gaza? I see roads on some desert, but none of my workers can even go on desert tiles. :/
Hi geminisama. It's intentional that you can't build a road there. In Egypt you'll need to build the Port of Alexandria to trade with other regions. You can upgrade workers to (I think) Egyptian workers later towards the end game. I can't remember which tech allows them at the moment though.

It represents Egypt remaining a slightly independent and slightly tricky to defend province.

where did u get this awesome map???
I made it myself, based on an ancient Greek idea of the world. I did post an old version of the map here, but it's been modified since then.

It's been a while so I don't remember the exact details, I just remember immediately trying to enforce naval restrictions around my cities right from the get-go and failing miserably. A whole fleet of [nice] ships, I forget who's, headed through 'my' straight up to the Black Sea. It got to the point that even though my coastal fortress type improvement was nailing them I couldn't do much to finish them off (this was very early game). Whenever I moved my ships I made sure they ended turn in port. I was trying this leapfrog method when I found a spot around southeastern Aisia minor that I would have to leave my two vessels (full of units) in open waters. I glanced around, made sure I was as far as possible out of possible shipping routes, and hit spacebare. Next turn Alexander had two fewer ships...
Ah, good. :) That probably is the Phoenicians. In reality Alexander was in a hopeless position as far as his navy goes. In fact it was so hopeless that he decided to scuttle the few ships he had after crossing the Hellespont into Asia and fought an exclusively land-based campaign against the Phoenicians and Eastern Greeks. It wasn't until after the Siege of Tyre (if I recall correctly) that Alex was able to get any kind of navy together in the Med.

Ok, then. So long as it's historical. :) I think I'll try suicidal scuttling though... :p

I'll try to track that down. Civilopedia errors are easy to fix, and they don't break saved games either, so I'll put a small update on for that.

I found some more:

1. The Description page for the City Improvement, Babylon, is the Description for the Planetary Party Lounge from regular Civ. Maybe the easiest fix would be to just remove the Description page for that entry.

2. The pedia entry for the Great Wonder, Proskynesis, says it can only be built in Susa & requires the tech, Capture of Persepolis. I have that city & that tech, but it's not a build option. If it has other requirements, please add them to the pedia entry so we know what else we need to build the thing.

3. According to the pedia, the Potential Bride unit upgrades to Alexander's Heir. I have three or four Potential Brides, but can't find any way to upgrade them. The pedia doesn't mention any requirement to do so. They won't upgrade in my capitol & they won't upgrade in a city that has a Barracks, Thracian Barracks & the Alexandria resource. How do I upgrade them? It would be good if the pedia said what is required to upgrade them.

4. The Description page for the City Improvement, Bactria, is the Description for the Stasis Chamber from regular Civ.

5. On the Victory Conditions page of the pedia under "Histograph" it says, "Civilization III runs until the year 2050." The rest of that page looks like it's updated correctly for this mod.

Hmm, those restless Macedonians don't want to sit still do they? I never saw Antipater go walkabout in all my playtests. I'll have to flag him as defensive or something like that. He should be sitting still in the early game.

Antipater did indeed march all the way around the Black Sea. He showed up north of Resaina in early 331 & made a beeline for Bactria stopping to take out a couple of enemy Polis units. I barely got to Bactria ahead of him & still face the very real threat that he will take a Bactrian city before I can. I'm forced to put units between him & the Bactrians to prevent his progress, but that is making it easy for the Bactrians to pick off my units...

Egypt is a very rich province once it's been built up a bit, so get some slaves down there.

I've noticed that a couple of the Egyptian cities auto-produce Workers.

I've always noticed that the Nubians would hit the Egyptians pretty hard, it's rather annoying. There's a difficult balance between making Egypt easy to take for the player (historically, the player should be able to gain control of Egypt easily) and making it too easy to take for the Nubians. I may have to reduce the units that Nubia start with or put them in a forced alliance.

It looks like you have it balanced pretty close already. As long as the player doesn't get diverted into Persia right after taking Phoenicia, they should be able to get Thebes 1st. An alliance between Egypt & Nubia is a bad idea as that would force the player to conquer Nubia before moving eastward again & that would screw everything up.

The way the Merotes are depicted in this scenario may not be totally historical, but I wanted a power that would present a challenge in the late game if you decide to push into Africa. I think that the availability of units has forced me into making the Merotes look more 1st or 2nd century than 3rd Century BCE.

That's one civ I don't know much about so it looks good to me.:) I loved being surpised at meeting them. Now I'm dreaming about conquering my way up the Nile, though that's not historical.

I recently came accross a story (on wikipedia, so not sure if it's perfectly genuine) that tells of Alexander coming to the borders of Nubia after conquering Egypt, seeing their army (along with war elephants), and deciding to turn back. It's clearly a fake tale since Alex's aim was always to get Persia, but it makes an interesting image in my mind.

Yeah, that story is BS. There's no ancient account of Alexander travelling that far up the Nile. In fact, Alexander seems to have been convinced that he could return home from India by sailing directly to the Upper Nile & on to the Med-something that wasn't totally disproven until the 19th century.

But I still have this problem:
From the first turn on I wanted to conquer Byzantium (strategical important for my supply-lines in this campaign) but not want go to war with them.:confused:

Do anybody know how I can have this city without going to war?

Hi General. :)

As geminisama says, you can do that via the editor. But as againsttheflow says, it's not meant to be taken so early and I don't think you really need it. You should be able to keep peace with Thrace so that your resources can be traded through Byzantium, and it would only take a couple of transport ships to keep your troops shuttling accross from Europe to Asia.

I'm having no trouble caused by not having Byzantium. Notice that allot of units have the Rebase action with is much faster than travelling overland or by ship.

It's been a while so I don't remember the exact details, I just remember immediately trying to enforce naval restrictions around my cities right from the get-go and failing miserably. A whole fleet of [nice] ships, I forget who's, headed through 'my' straight up to the Black Sea. It got to the point that even though my coastal fortress type improvement was nailing them I couldn't do much to finish them off (this was very early game). Whenever I moved my ships I made sure they ended turn in port. I was trying this leapfrog method when I found a spot around southeastern Aisia minor that I would have to leave my two vessels (full of units) in open waters. I glanced around, made sure I was as far as possible out of possible shipping routes, and hit spacebare. Next turn Alexander had two fewer ships...

I made this mistake, too, in my 1st game. Kyrenaica & Phoenicia were bombarding the heck out of me & I tried to fight @ sea which didn't work & slowed down my conquest. By the 2nd game, I realized you really don't need sea power with land units that can Rebase.

On to the game report:

-The Sarissaophoroi I had exploring northern Europe spotted a ship from Cathay!:) Somehow, they sailed all the way around Korea, Siberia, Russia & Scandinavia!!! I now have an embassy with them along with an ROP & their territory map. Again suprisingly, I have a Trade Route with them! I have no idea how. The sad news is that they are already trading their extra Silk to others & won't offer many Talents for my Wines.

-The Sarissaophoroi I had exploring Africa found Saharra Camp & made contact with the Africa civ!:) Yet another fun suprise! I now have an embassy with them & a ROP & their territory map. I do not have a Trade Route with them.

-The Sarissaphoroi I had exploring Arabia spotted a Tamil ship! The suprises just keep coming!:) Again, I have an embassy & ROP with them & their territory map. We somehow have a Trade Route, but they will not trade their Dyes for my Wines & Olives.

-I sent a ship to explore the western Med. It made contact with the Tyrrhenians! Again, I have an embassy & ROP with them & their territory map. Moving on, my ship spotted an army in Rome.:eek: Finally, it found the Straights of Gibralter to be closed. I was looking forward to sailing into the Atlantic, but I think I understand why the map is set up this way.

On it's way home, it found that the Carthaginian cities of Aleria, Olbia & Carales are undefended-no units at all! That makes them a tempting & easy target, but I don't want to deviate from the history that much right now.

That ship is now on it's way to explore the Indian Ocean via Pelusium.:D

-Thrace/Illyria is a pain in the butt. So far, they have razed 3 cities.:mad: I reverted to auto-saves to save 2 of them, but couldn't do anything about the 3rd. As I mentioned before, they also took Iconium before I could & they still hold it. They reached Bactria right behind me so, between them & Macedonia, I am forced to press my conquest earlier than I'm prepared to to keep them from razing or capturing any more cities. I almost let our ROP expire, but I need good relations with them while my forces are way off in Asia. I did place a couple of units to block them from marching through Byzantium. Now they are transporting units to Phoenicia in ships & marching on Bactria from there. At least I slowed them down a bit.

-I founded Alexandria Charax! It's at the tip of the Persian Gulf where the Alexandra resource is. I don't remember if that's where Charax is supposed to be. Maybe I founded it out of order?

-I founded Alexandria Areia! It's on the Alexandria resource southeast of Artacoana. Is that where it's supposed to be? Again, I'm not sure what order the cites this far east are supposed to be founded in.

-Persia is eliminated!:king::king::king: Those dogs threaten Greece no more! They were unbelievably wealthy. Their last city, Prophthasia fell to our Hetairoi about Week 39, 331 & it yeilded over 2000 Talents. We pursue Darius the Coward into Bactria!

-A Sarissaophoroi exploring the deserts east of Persepolis made contact with Pauravas! I sent them an embassy, but I'm not trading with them because an oracle told me we won't remain friends for long.:) There is an Alexandria resource just west of their capitol, but I don't have a Citizen Settler for it, yet...

-I also spotted the Alexandria resource over the mountains southeast of Persepolis. A Citizen Settler is en route.:)

-Gandhara made contact with me somehow! My embassy found that they are constructing the Nalanda Great Wonder. I have an ROP with them & their territory map.

-On to Bactria! The bulk of my forces were in Persepolis when Persia was eliminated so they have set off on a forced march through the desert to catch up. The Hetaroi that conquered northern Persia explored to the east until making contact with Bactria. Unfortunately, they are forced to both fight the Bactrians & block the progress of Thrace/Illyria & Macedonia & they are taking a beating. Those poor Hetaroi encountered their 1st elephant & it was not a friendly encounter! I'm cracking the whip to get my generals & phalanxes to the entrance of Bactria before my rivals start razing more cities...

-It's Week 47, 331 & I'll have the Parthian Campaign tech in 2 Turns. I'm definitely behind in research because I already have the 331-330 BCE tech. I have a budget deficit of 17 Talents per Turn, but I'm not worried about that because I looted allot of Talents from Persia.

Still having tons of fun. I hope these loooong reports are helpful. Will return with more.

EDIT: My Phoenician cities have built all the Improvements they can (which wasn't many) & the best unit they can build is the Mercenary (6(6)-4-1). It doesn't move fast & doesn't have the Rebase action so it would take too long to send them east. I'm stockpiling them in Jerusalem for an eventual invasion of Arabia.

I've got several questions.

My main one is, can you make a list, or diagram telling you which city needs to be named which? Alexandria Nile was easy to guess, as was Antioch in Syria (based on the Roman scen.) I named the town southwest of Orchoe, Alexandria Charax, but I have no idea if that is even right. My web was off last night, so I couldn't look, and it stopped me from settling other locations.

Second, I don't know if this is a bug or something, but Cathay's towns don't show up on the map(based on maps, haven't actually got there yet.) Also, shouldn't they have more than 2 cities..? I'm no history expert, but they weren't that small during the warring states period.

Keroro linked this map on just a little while ago. :)

Sorta helpful, but whats with all the generic Alexandrias? I spot 4 generic Alexandria's on the right side, is that just because the names weren't recorded?

But thanks! I noticed my placement of Antioch was a lil off. >.>

Sorta helpful, but whats with all the generic Alexandrias? I spot 4 generic Alexandria's on the right side, is that just because the names weren't recorded?

But thanks! I noticed my placement of Antioch was a lil off. >.>

The name of almost all of those founded cities was just Alexandria, in fact. To distinguish them from each other you would mostly use a river or the region where they are. Many of the additional names on the map are not part of the official name, but later names or names of later settlements on the same place, like for example Merv, Kandahar, Ghazni, Herat.

Lots to write, which is why it's taken a while to get around to it. Thanks for the posts. :)

I found some more:

1. The Description page for the City Improvement, Babylon, is the Description for the Planetary Party Lounge from regular Civ. Maybe the easiest fix would be to just remove the Description page for that entry.

2. The pedia entry for the Great Wonder, Proskynesis, says it can only be built in Susa & requires the tech, Capture of Persepolis. I have that city & that tech, but it's not a build option. If it has other requirements, please add them to the pedia entry so we know what else we need to build the thing.

3. According to the pedia, the Potential Bride unit upgrades to Alexander's Heir. I have three or four Potential Brides, but can't find any way to upgrade them. The pedia doesn't mention any requirement to do so. They won't upgrade in my capitol & they won't upgrade in a city that has a Barracks, Thracian Barracks & the Alexandria resource. How do I upgrade them? It would be good if the pedia said what is required to upgrade them.

4. The Description page for the City Improvement, Bactria, is the Description for the Stasis Chamber from regular Civ.

5. On the Victory Conditions page of the pedia under "Histograph" it says, "Civilization III runs until the year 2050." The rest of that page looks like it's updated correctly for this mod.
You do indeed seem to have hit some bugs and oversights. I shall have to sort these out for future updates. Number 1 and 4 (and several other of the elements needed for the world empire victory) are a simple civilopedia fix.

Proskynesis is a known fault with the first version - it should be fixed with the latest patch. The problem is that the 'Palace of Susa' small wonder that allows for the building of Proskynesis often gets destroyed in the conquest of the city. In the latest patch the player can re-build the Palace of Susa, thereby allowing this useful building. The civilopedia entry may not mention the Palace of Susa...

The Heirs issue could be two things. First, have you checked that you have researched the tech required for the Heirs? It requires Alexandrian Legacy, which is one of the last techs in the game. Secondly, if you're playing with the very first version without any patches then they're bugged. I made the Heir the battle created unit (like leaders in the normal game) and they therefore don't seem to work properly.

Regarding your point 5 - I'm not sure where I can fix that... :( But I'll have a look. It must be in one of the script or labels files I guess.

Lastly - I found the issue with the Arabian Tribes unit. I think it's still using the civ 3 standard entry for Ansar Warriors or something like that. I'll get it changed. :)

Thank you for the bug hunts. But thank you even more for the progress reports. It's great to be able to watch people working their way through the game.

That's one civ I don't know much about so it looks good to me.:) I loved being surpised at meeting them. Now I'm dreaming about conquering my way up the Nile, though that's not historical.
It can't fail to look good when Plotinus has made so many fine units for them. It was easier to fill their unit lines than the Greek ones. :mischief: That may change with the units Sandris is pumping out though - he's said that he's going to revisit the Hellenes and Byzantium soon so I should have some new stuff to play with. You can conquer up the Nile in the Alexander lives section of the game if you choose to go that way. Otherwise it will have to be a dream that you take to your death bed (like Alex).

Yeah, that story is BS. There's no ancient account of Alexander travelling that far up the Nile. In fact, Alexander seems to have been convinced that he could return home from India by sailing directly to the Upper Nile & on to the Med-something that wasn't totally disproven until the 19th century.
Alex seemed to be more interested in trecking accross deserts while he was in Egypt. The interesting thing is that these rumours and tales so often get started around famous people. Like the tales you get of Jesus visiting Japan - BS, but interesting. I recon the Nubian tale was probably concocted by the native rulers of that area to impress people who did know better.

I'm having no trouble caused by not having Byzantium. Notice that allot of units have the Rebase action with is much faster than travelling overland or by ship.
Glad to hear it. :)

I made this mistake, too, in my 1st game. Kyrenaica & Phoenicia were bombarding the heck out of me & I tried to fight @ sea which didn't work & slowed down my conquest. By the 2nd game, I realized you really don't need sea power with land units that can Rebase.
While testing I found that a few catapults/siege engineers + Greek Fire = Some very dead ships. It was almost too easy. But yeah, you shouldn't need too much seapower. One thing that slightly disappoints me is that Eastern Greece doesn't mount many amphibious assaults. I'd love to see some more action there, in fact I may give them a sailor unit and a few extra transports to encourage that. I'd also like to see Memnon island hopping around the Aegean sometime.

-I sent a ship to explore the western Med. It made contact with the Tyrrhenians! Again, I have an embassy & ROP with them & their territory map. Moving on, my ship spotted an army in Rome.:eek: Finally, it found the Straights of Gibralter to be closed. I was looking forward to sailing into the Atlantic, but I think I understand why the map is set up this way.

On it's way home, it found that the Carthaginian cities of Aleria, Olbia & Carales are undefended-no units at all! That makes them a tempting & easy target, but I don't want to deviate from the history that much right now.

That ship is now on it's way to explore the Indian Ocean via Pelusium.:D
The AI navies go loopy if you leave Gibraltar (Pillars of Herakles, if you please) open. I don't want Carthage rounding the horn of Africa and surprising you in the Persian Gulf!

I'm worried about Olbia etc.. I'm sure they start with garrison units, but will check for the next update.

-Thrace/Illyria is a pain in the butt. So far, they have razed 3 cities.:mad: I reverted to auto-saves to save 2 of them, but couldn't do anything about the 3rd. As I mentioned before, they also took Iconium before I could & they still hold it. They reached Bactria right behind me so, between them & Macedonia, I am forced to press my conquest earlier than I'm prepared to to keep them from razing or capturing any more cities. I almost let our ROP expire, but I need good relations with them while my forces are way off in Asia. I did place a couple of units to block them from marching through Byzantium. Now they are transporting units to Phoenicia in ships & marching on Bactria from there. At least I slowed them down a bit.
Yep, a pain in the butt indeed. I found that about 8 units can close the mountains between Babylonia and Persia, forcing the Thracians to take the long journey around the Caspian Sea.

-Persia is eliminated!:king::king::king: Those dogs threaten Greece no more! They were unbelievably wealthy. Their last city, Prophthasia fell to our Hetairoi about Week 39, 331 & it yeilded over 2000 Talents. We pursue Darius the Coward into Bactria!
Excellent. :cool: And good that they gave up their gold. I made it impossible for the Persians to rush build, as with gold rushing they never had any gold left and with pop rushing all their cities were size 1 or 2 after the first 20 turns.

EDIT: My Phoenician cities have built all the Improvements they can (which wasn't many) & the best unit they can build is the Mercenary (6(6)-4-1). It doesn't move fast & doesn't have the Rebase action so it would take too long to send them east. I'm stockpiling them in Jerusalem for an eventual invasion of Arabia.
I may have to take another look at Phoenicia then, the cities sound like they're too productive. That may be partly because you can't build Proskynesis and therefore can't build Persian temples. :( If you're running a small deficit then changing a few to wealth may be worthwhile. You may have some cities to bribe soon. Also, keep an eye on unit maintainance - those mercs may all be costin you support costs.

Second, I don't know if this is a bug or something, but Cathay's towns don't show up on the map(based on maps, haven't actually got there yet.) Also, shouldn't they have more than 2 cities..? I'm no history expert, but they weren't that small during the warring states period.
They're not at historical size because they don't really have much of an impact in the scenario. They are only there as unconquerable traders, and have only two cities because I don't want them to slow down the rest of the game. Keeping them small avoids that. The graphics glitch is nothing significant to worry about. I ran out of culture groups in the editor and decided to economise by using unit graphics for the Cathay cities. They should look OK if you ever get into visual range.

My main one is, can you make a list, or diagram telling you which city needs to be named which? Alexandria Nile was easy to guess, as was Antioch in Syria (based on the Roman scen.) I named the town southwest of Orchoe, Alexandria Charax, but I have no idea if that is even right. My web was off last night, so I couldn't look, and it stopped me from settling other locations.
It sounds like you got Alexandria Charax in the right place. It will make a good port location later in the game. All the Alexandrias I've included names for seem to be on the map that againsttheflow re-linked for you.

The name of almost all of those founded cities was just Alexandria, in fact. To distinguish them from each other you would mostly use a river or the region where they are. Many of the additional names on the map are not part of the official name, but later names or names of later settlements on the same place, like for example Merv, Kandahar, Ghazni, Herat.
As Stazro says, most of these were just known as Alexandria when they were founded. In a similar way Antiochus founded towns with his name, there were several Ptolomeias and before Alexander his father founded a few Phillipolis'. Seleukeia or Apamea were the normal names for the early Seleukid towns, named after Seleukus himself and his bride Apama. A quick google or wiki search should turn most of them up if you want to dig deeper. It's not essential that the cities have the correct name, there's no events editor in civ 3 so the names can't affect how things work. I was kinda hoping that the scenario would make people want to dig deeper in this era of history.

I'm not an absolute expert on the Alexandrias, so don't test my knowledge too far! :)

The Heirs issue could be two things. First, have you checked that you have researched the tech required for the Heirs? It requires Alexandrian Legacy, which is one of the last techs in the game.

That's it. I'm nowhere close to that tech. If the pedia could mention that the tech is required, it would be great.:)

Thank you for the bug hunts. But thank you even more for the progress reports. It's great to be able to watch people working their way through the game.

Thank you for this mod!

You can conquer up the Nile in the Alexander lives section of the game if you choose to go that way. Otherwise it will have to be a dream that you take to your death bed (like Alex).

It looks like I'll be able to do it as I'm almost done with Alexander's historical conquests, I've already begun accumulating an assault force in Thebes & I'm a long way from the Death of Alexander tech.

While testing I found that a few catapults/siege engineers + Greek Fire = Some very dead ships. It was almost too easy. But yeah, you shouldn't need too much seapower. One thing that slightly disappoints me is that Eastern Greece doesn't mount many amphibious assaults. I'd love to see some more action there, in fact I may give them a sailor unit and a few extra transports to encourage that. I'd also like to see Memnon island hopping around the Aegean sometime.

Sounds interesting, but, in my game, the Eastern Greeks couldn't hold their own territory very well so it's hard to imagine them being able to send out an invasion force.

I'm worried about Olbia etc.. I'm sure they start with garrison units, but will check for the next update.

I've since found several other AI cities without units in them. I think they might be disbanding units because they are running out of money. See the report below for more info.

Yep, a pain in the butt indeed. I found that about 8 units can close the mountains between Babylonia and Persia, forcing the Thracians to take the long journey around the Caspian Sea.

Now that I've played to the Indian campaign, I can see how to block them & what route I should have taken to move quicker, but this will be a problem for anyone playing the mod for the 1st time. I don't see any way around it. You've already done a great job of using immoble units in mountain passes to historically time events.

Excellent. :cool: And good that they gave up their gold. I made it impossible for the Persians to rush build, as with gold rushing they never had any gold left and with pop rushing all their cities were size 1 or 2 after the first 20 turns.

It worked then.:) Plus I'd be in big trouble financially if Persia hadn't yielded allot of loot because I've been running a deficit ever since I conquered them & I'm still running behind in techs.

I may have to take another look at Phoenicia then, the cities sound like they're too productive. That may be partly because you can't build Proskynesis and therefore can't build Persian temples. :(

It's not just a Phoenician problem. Every city I have west of Persepolis is down to either building units I really don't need or Wealth which I hate to do.

Here's a list of the Improvements my Phoenician & Persian cities can (& did) build: Barracks, Granary, Marketplace, Court, Agora, Coastal Fortress, Harbor, Pharos, Theater, Forge, Shrine & Temple of Mithra. I just got the tech that allows the Alchemist so they are all building that now. Then they'll basically have the options of only Wealth or Mercenaries again (I don't need more ships).

My next game will be with the latest patch so I'll be able to build that Persian Temple, but I still think those cities need more build options. Maybe some additional Improvements for flavor that don't do much & don't have upkeep costs? I hate building Wealth...

I really don't want all the auto-produced Greek Fires I'll be getting from all those Alchemists, but I have to build something...

If you're running a small deficit then changing a few to wealth may be worthwhile. You may have some cities to bribe soon. Also, keep an eye on unit maintainance - those mercs may all be costin you support costs.

Thanks for pointing out unit maintenance. I never pay enough attention to that. Again, I hate building Wealth.:)

The graphics glitch is nothing significant to worry about. I ran out of culture groups in the editor and decided to economise by using unit graphics for the Cathay cities. They should look OK if you ever get into visual range.

Wow! That's a good idea.

Should the Bacrians & Sogdians have elephant units? I thought Alexander didn't encounter them until he got to India or at least Pakistan.

Is there a trigger in place to get Rome to expand? It seems like they should have tried to by now. They've had an Army sitting in Rome doing nothing...

And now another report:

-I barely took Kabul before my rivals did & plugged up the mountain pass beyond to block them, but not before Thrace/Illyria slipped a few Sarissaophoroi through. Taking the rest of Bactria & Sogdiana was not a challenge. It just took some time. They survive only in their impregnable mountain cities that I can't reach.

I left a Phalanx behind to clean up the immoble units they had arcing around their northern border. That had an added benefit of providing some slaves.:) Some of those slaves spawned on desert tiles so they're stuck. I'm thinking of them as border watchtowers.

-By the time I had finished with Bactria & Sogdiana, Hetairoi reinforcements began arriving from Anatolia. I tried bribing Embolima, but couldn't so I let the ROP with Ghandara expire & attacked. Both of their cities fell on the same week. The only consequence is that the other civs won't renew the ROPs we've had since the beginning.

-When the ROP with Pauravas expired, I attacked from two directions.

The massive force I had in Ghandara took Sangala 1st & began conquering west then south. They've just taken Pattala. My Battle of Hydraspes took place at City of the Brahmins where we found Porus' Army. It didn't have a unit loaded into it, &, with only one hit point, was as easy as a Worker to defeat.

When I 1st scouted City of the Brahmins, it had no units in it at all, but it did have defenders when I returned to conquer it.

The other attack came from Alexandria Caucasus which I founded on the Alexandria resource west of Pura. I had some slow units (2 Petzhetairoi & a Heavy Hoplite Infantry) there because they couldn't keep up with the main army as well as some Mercenaries produced in Persia. As I write, Pura is about to fall to them.

-At the same time I invaded Ghandara, I invaded Arabia. I had lots of Mercenaries piled up in Jerusalem & Alexandria Charax from the Phoenician & Persian cities which couldn't build anything much else plus the aforementioned units in Alexandria Caucasus.

The Mercenaries from Jerusalem took Petra with several inconsiquential losses & set off across the desert to Hagar Yahirr. It's gonna be a long, hot march.

The Mercenaries from Alexandria Charax found Dubai without any units in it & so took the place without a fight. Muscat is a different story. Without artillery, my Mercenaries are dying in large numbers trying to assault it's Walls. That attack has totally stalled & I'm not sure how I'm going to take that city.

The units from Alexandria Caucasus moved on Hormozeia to find it totally ungarrisoned so they marched right in without a fight.

With such a long march to Hagar Yahirr & my Mercenaries innability to take Muscat, it will take me awhile to reach Yemen & finish this.

-After I blocked the pass north of Kabul, Antipater moved south destroying all the the roads outside of my culture border. He then went through the pass south of Persepolis, but he destroyed all the roads there, too & I can't rebuild those because of the terrain type. When I finished the last of Bactria & Sogdiana's immoble units, he finally turned back toward home & is now near Ecbatana heading north.

-I've founded cities on every Alexandria resource west of India & the one west of Pattala. I have a Citizen Settler en route to the 1st spot east of Taxilas & am waiting for more to spawn.

-I moved my capitol to Babylonia several weeks ago & have built the Babylon "part."

-It's currently Week 7, 328 & I just completed the Port of Alexandria. I will probably invade Nubia soon as I now have 5 Annubis Knights, 5 Horus Knights & 3 Mercenaries waiting in Thebes for something to do.:)

In techs, I'll have Indian Alliance in 6 Turns & I have 329-329 BCE.

My military is strong enough now that nobody is really a threat.

Will return with more reports.

Is it worth it, moving the capital to Babylonia, if you plan on expanding mainly west, instead of east to India?

Ehh, I just finished the Proskynesis, and it says it will place a Persian Shrine in each city. It did, but no Persian temples are buildable anywhere. :/

Edit: I don't know why, but all of a sudden I encounter IMMENSE lag at the end of turns. Everything plays smoothly until the, "Enter or Spacebar to end turn" alert shows up. Anyway to fix this?

Hello. Thanks to all for the feedback. I managed to get a day off and spent some time preparing for a new patch. I've got a mini-patch with some general fixes and some experimental rule changes. The main change involves giving some of the elite units the 'King' flag to limit how many you can build. They cannot be built anymore, but only upgraded from other units - this will cost a fair amount of that gold you've all been collecting. There are also some changes to the area around the Taklamaken desert area, where there are now several oasis cities.

Change log is below, and the patch is uploaded on the first post.
Spoiler :

Alexander's Conquests version 1.04 changes.

Added cities: Macoraba, Lathrippa (Mecca and Medina), Bishkek, Tashkent, Yarkent, Kashgar, Hotan, Loulan, Srinagar.

Some terrain changes, especially in Taklamaken desert.

Most garrisons have better defence.

Wealth production changed, and a doubling at Sogdian Conquest part 2.

Several cities have had their defences strengthened (more garrisons).

Arabians now have some more unit choices (infantry and persian bowmen).

Heavy Infantry and Macedonian Cavalry now available for Macedonia, Epirus and Alexandria.

Siege engineers, Hetairoi, Hypaspists and Thessalian cavalry now flagged with the King flag.

Mack cavalry upgrade to Hetairoi.

Greek cavalry upgrade to Thessalians.

Catapults upgrade to Siege Engineers.

Xiphoi upgrade to Hypaspists.

Horous Knights and Anubis Knights upgrade to Epigonoi.

Heavy infantry upgrade to Petzhetairoi.

Some additions to the civilopedia.

Is it worth it, moving the capital to Babylonia, if you plan on expanding mainly west, instead of east to India?
Possibly not, but the only other option would be be to leave it where it starts. I'm not sure how leaving it would work out in terms of corruption.
Ehh, I just finished the Proskynesis, and it says it will place a Persian Shrine in each city. It did, but no Persian temples are buildable anywhere. :/
I'm going to try to sort this out properly along with the Phoenician problems that Maimonides is reporting. That will be in the next patch though, not the one I've posted today.
Edit: I don't know why, but all of a sudden I encounter IMMENSE lag at the end of turns. Everything plays smoothly until the, "Enter or Spacebar to end turn" alert shows up. Anyway to fix this?
This is troubling news, and I missed it the first time I read your reply. This has hit a number of mods, and I don't think that anyone knows how to stop it from happening. It may be possible to sort out if I stop so many great ports from being built, but that obviously reduces the trading options available - I'll look into it when I'm doing the first large patch (hopefully shortly after Christmas).

The next patch should include a number of new units from Sandris when he's had a chance to get the new Greeks he's doing released. I'll also be changing how the resources work to simplify things. I live in hope that Steph's new editor is going to be successful - it would reduce the amount of time required for modding considerably.

Whenever i try to play i get File Not Found "Art\Units\Persian Elite Spearman\..\Archer\Archvicyell.wav"

It doens't seem to be a file in a file, and i've had this trouble before(for a differnt scenario) where it was a missing file. If it isn't any help?

Hi Kingdom. I'm not sure why you're getting that error. Can I check what version of Civ 3 you have please? (ie, Mac version, PC version; Complete or Conquests). The file that your system is looking for should be in your standard civ 3 installation, so I'm a little puzzled. Also, can you tell me when the error comes up? Are you able to get the game started at all, or does it crash on loading?

If you know what you're doing it might be as well to delete the sound entry for that unit from the .ini file for that unit and see if it helps.

@ Blue Monkey - BTW, congratulations on your new role. Hope all goes well. :)

I did promise an update... It will be coming sometime soon (I hope). I'm going to be updating some of the graphics and am waiting for Sandris to post some new Greek units. Once I have them I will be back to this scenario.

I have Civ3 Complete for PC, and im able to get through the first load up and choose Alexander and that, but it usually pops up near the end of the second loading screen when it says next Polis.

That could be a language version problem. Are you using a non-english Civ3 version? The vanilla unit folders and (I think) INIs are translated to the language of which the version is.
To solve the missing archer issue, copy the folder with the archer (what ever it's named in your language) and rename the folder to "Archer". Then open the folder and rename the INI file that you can find there also.
Perhaps there is somewhere a tool around to do this for you, at least for the german version there is.

I'm close to being stumped. Check your Civilization III\Art\units\Archer\ folder for a .wav file called Archvicyell. If it's not there then I can only suggest that you've somehow managed to overwrite your original game files. Would it be possible to perform a fresh install of civ 3 in that case? If the file is present then we'll have to double check that the installation has worked correctly.

The civ III complete version you're using should be almost identical to mine - I have civ 3, PTW and conquests on separate discs. There are a few minor differences, but I haven't come accross this one before.

Top Bottom