High Score?

maniackiller

Chieftain
Can someone please explain to me how people are getting game ending scores in like 100 turns that are in the 10000's or even more?

I just finished my first game of Civ 5 (yeah im a noob :) ) with a ending score of almost 4000, is it just solely how you play the game or is there like certain things you can do that jack your score out the roof?

Land, population, wonders and known techs determine your score.

Yes, and I believe number of Cities also has a bearing.

Winning a Marathon game (any level) in under 30 turns produces a gigantic score, and I believe that if you play Epic the cut off is 15 turns. Taking one turn longer will double your score.

To obtain a normal high score you need to own every land space on the map and try and finish the game by half way, what ever score is showing at the time of finish will be doubled.

EDIT - Made a comical error there - Taking one turn longer will half your score not double it.

Yes, I am pretty sure it is number of citizens rather than actual population, so two size four Cities equals more points than one size eight City.

Are you sure it's not because two cities occupy more land? Won't argue with you, of course. You are the one who plays score games. :) I just have a general idea how it works, never cared enough to look into formulas.

You are the one who plays score games. :)

Indeed, this is true, but just because I play them doesn't necessarily mean that I am aware of all the formulas!

To the op, some map types give you a higher score, two examples being Great Plains and Inland Sea. All the HOF high scores on G&K and BNW have been achieved playing as the Huns by obtaining a battering ram from a ruins and winning the game in five or six turns. Like I said earlier, there are no extra points for a five turn finish (marathon) as compared to a twenty nine turn finish assuming all other criteria are the same.

The easiest way to achieve super scores like you mentioned, is on scenarios with special victory conditions that up the score. Into the Renaissance is a good one to see crazy high scores around 10k or more as you get big bonuses every time you take an enemy city with a different religion.

The easiest way to achieve super scores like you mentioned, is on scenarios with special victory conditions that up the score. Into the Renaissance is a good one to see crazy high scores around 10k or more as you get big bonuses every time you take an enemy city with a different religion.

Ten thousand is very nice but it hardly compares to 63k that I have seen on the HOF forum, it was achieved playing G&K, Marathon, 29turns!!

There's two ways to get high scores:

1. Milk the game until 2050 AD. (Maybe 2049 if there's a bigger bonus for one of the other victory conditions than time)

The following add to the in game score as it goes on and with the exception of winning in BC will drawf the bonus turns remaining bonus:
1. Percentage of the worlds population that is within your empire.
2. Percentage of the land area that is within your empire.
3. Percentage of world wonders that is within your empire.
4. Number of future techs you have researched.

2. Play as Assyria on a Duel map with Marathon.
Reroll if your warrior doesn't pop a unit ruin.
In this case, the sooner you conquer your rivals capital, the higher your score will be as it will almost entirely be determined by the domination turns remaining bonus.

In this case, the sooner you conquer your rivals capital, the higher your score will be as it will almost entirely be determined by the domination turns remaining bonus.

Don't you mean the Huns? :rolleyes:

There's two ways to get high scores:

1. Milk the game until 2050 AD. (Maybe 2049 if there's a bigger bonus for one of the other victory conditions than time)

The following add to the in game score as it goes on and with the exception of winning in BC will drawf the bonus turns remaining bonus:
1. Percentage of the worlds population that is within your empire.
2. Percentage of the land area that is within your empire.
3. Percentage of world wonders that is within your empire.
4. Number of future techs you have researched.

Numbers one, two and three, is this the new criteria since the Vanilla game?

The top scores of 63k that I mentioned earlier were set by capturing two City States and the AI Capital by turn 29 in a Marathon game. Like I said earlier there is no difference in score for a turn five or turn 29 Marathon victory assuming that the same amount of area, population science and Wonders.

EDIT - If you go to the HOF forum, go to search and type in high score challenge, an explanation of the 29 turn marathon 63k is explained.

Thank you for all the information, now I kind of have a idea of how the score comes to be. With all this info I now know why my score was so low. Do Great People's writings and paintings play any effect on your final score?

Thank you for all the information, now I kind of have a idea of how the score comes to be. With all this info I now know why my score was so low. Do Great People's writings and paintings play any effect on your final score?

They play a small part. Pretty much every stat does. That said, I wouldn't use those 10k+ scores as a benchmark for normal game play. Those were obviously setup to achieve scores by making them 1 on 1 games that can be beat fast. With a Standard map, you won't be able to do that.

With a Standard map, you won't be able to do that.

Actually this is incorrect, I have seen scores 20k - 50k from prince level downwards on standard, large and huge maps. 10k plus is achievable on the top four levels if you really want to make it happen!

A lot of the high scores are won on turn 0, which probably means hacks.

The high scores that I am referring to are registered on the HOF forum and every submission on there has been vetted with a pretty strict set of rules in place.

Actually this is incorrect, I have seen scores 20k - 50k from prince level downwards on standard, large and huge maps. 10k plus is achievable on the top four levels if you really want to make it happen!

When I said Standard, I meant a complete Standard setup with 8+ civ's, 16+ CS's and so on. I did not mean that one specific setting.

Top Bottom