Worth buying G&K's for the civs?

JimBobV

Warlord
I've been playing BNW for a while now, and just started my first game on immortal. I really like all the features BNW adds, and the ones that it borrowed from G&K's. I have all DLC besides wonders of the ancient world and korea, but I was wondering if the civs included in G&K's were worth buying the entire expansion, even though I get all the same features in BNW. I've seen some of the civs and they look really interesting, but I'm not sure. What do you think?

I say you should

The Attila of the Huns - Equilivent of Assyria but worse, they start with Horseback riding and their Battering Rams are DEADLY

Bouddica of the Celts - Quick Religion founders as they have a bias for Forests and gani +1 to +2 when cities are settled adjacent to Forests.

Dido of the Carthage - Starts with Harbors so Coastal cities gain Trade Routes (with Wheel) allowing you to have more gold, they are able to move over mountains if a Great General is earned (either way)

You already get Ethiophia with BNW

Maria Theresa of Austria - Can "marry" City-States and absorb them into her empire, gets a bonus to Great People generation. Artistically my favourite civ, but that's just artistically.

Pacal of the Mayans - Another Religious, not onyl that, they get to pick a great person every few turns as with Theology they unlock the "Mayan Calendar". You can only pick a Great Person once.

Theodora of Byzantium - Another artistically beautiful civ. They get a bonus Belief when founding a religion (but that's kind of obselete at higher difficulties), they do have the Fire-breathign Dromons though.

William of Orange of the Dutch - They keep half the happiness earned from Luxury Resources which means you can trade your last copy of a luxury resource and still get happiness from them. They also get the awesome Polders that can be built on Marsh and Flood Plains

You also get Isabella but you already have that.

Gustavus Adoplhus of Sweden - Amazing Diplomatic rival. Not onyl do you get a bonus to great people production if you have a DoF (which works BOTH ways and Gustav GETS MORE with multiple DoFs), but you can actually USE those extra people (like admiral and generals) to gain +90 influence with a city state.

So yeah, plenty of good civs

Not only that

The Into The Renassiance Scenario is very good, it's long and fun to play

The Smoky Skies Scenario is also a nice sci-fi scenario to play is completely unique experience

And then you have the Fall of Rome where there's a nice twist if you playwith the Romans.

So in short.. I'd say its' worth it. G&K civs were the first to be in my opinion truly unique. It was just a bonus such as twice this, cheaper that. They truly had unique abilities.

YES.
You can't put a numerical value on diversity, and adding eight new sides is worth a lot in terms of replayability.

To OP: Yes you should

The Attila of the Huns - Equilivent of Assyria but worse, they start with Horseback riding and their Battering Rams are DEADLY

Different, not worse. I actually think the strongest element to the Huns is the +1 hammer for each pasture. Gives them a lot of production potential. Also, while the "steal a random city name" may sound like window dressing, it can actually give you actionable intel, especially on continent or other water maps. Lastly, while the Battering Ram is more limited than the Siege Tower, the Ram is a spearman replacement which means a Warrior finding an advanced upgrade can result in an overpowered start.

Bouddica of the Celts - Quick Religion founders as they have a bias for Forests and gani +1 to +2 when cities are settled adjacent to Forests.

Also, a Warrior finding an advanced upgrade yields a Pictish Warrior who nets you even more faith.

@Halcyan2 I was refering to the deadliness of the Huns as opposed to them being "worse" civ to play, I mean they are worse civ to go up against cuz you are SCREEWED.

Wouldn't get it full price.

If you want additional Civs, there's a ton of them on the workshop, many of them are way more interesting than the rather generic G+K-Civs.

Top Bottom