Help me with Ancient Era timings on Epic, Immortal, Zulus, Pangaea, Huge

revelation216

NQ Civilopedian
Hi there, just recently got BNW and started watching Marbozir which got me back into the game. his vids are the best.

One of the series he does he goes with epic speed. I prefer domination games and I wanted to test out Shaka, having missed him for so long since I played Civ 1. Was disappointed he did not return with lime green as their Civ colour. Do you remember?

Anyway I used to always play Standard speed but you don't get enough time for combat. On the other hand stuff takes longer to build in Epic but when you do have an army out it has a lot more time to do things. With someone like Shaka more time for war is a good thing IMO. Also I have been rocking Pangaea, Huge, with stuff like Sea Level, Earth's age set to random.

So I have been struggling a bit with regard to when I need to aim to get things built (e.g. settlers/ikandas/army vs national college), and tech, policy and build order, and I have rerolled many times just practicing my early game.

I have been going something like:
Try to settle next to mountain and on river near within 3 tile radius of 2 luxes, but not move settler more than one turn
Scout, sometimes 2 scouts, Pottery
Mining/Calendar, Shrine then Worker
Writing, Tradition opener, Granary
Archery/Animal Husbandry depending on pastures/neighbours, Library
Legalism for free monuments, Archer, Settler/buy settler
Bronze Working, Liberty opener to go for free worker and settler, Settle 2nd city, go for Shrine 2nd city then Library
Philosophy, Archer, Archer, Spearman
National College, will take Aristocracy during to speed it up, Construction (for CB's)
Then will go for free settler and worker and then Landed Elite and will tech to Mathematics

Will usually not steal worker unless settled right on top of another civ. Will not usually declare war. Will usually change it up depending on what luxes I get, but that's a rough guide.

Any tips appreciated.

Be aware that epic (or marathon) are easier than standard. Especially for domination (for the reasons you cited, units being relevant for a longer period of time). However you also play on huge which makes domination longer/harder.

That being said since you play on Pangea take a look at this thread:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=528421
It was a Deity game with Zulu played recently. You should get good ideas there. And since you're trying it on immortal/epic it should be really strong.

You don't need the NC for zulu pangea domination. Just make composite bow and later impi/crossbows.

and ... don't try to learn watching mabozir. you are more probably to pick bad habits than learn something useful.

i took your advice about not taking national college til much later and it really paid off. i was spending so long getting my tech online i was neglecting my civ's strength of killing everyone and expanding.

instead i let everyone get ahead and i built up my military. i built ikandas everywhere and made my economy very strong by trading with arabia with whom i became good friends. then i denounced the big bully of the world, rome, who was expanding and the world leader who killed the mongols. then all the world rallied around to my cause and then i declared war and took his capital and razed another city, eventually resulting in caesar begging for peace and giving me all his gold and 2 cities. now I am the world leader, where previously i was at the bottom of the rankings.

also i learnt from previous games about battle tactics by firstly bringing more than enough units and putting my melee units in the front and fortifying them around the city as my ranged units bombarded. the AI always focus fires on melee which lets your ranged get shots off, this usually means you'll have one or two melee units left for the final blow.

Top Bottom