Deity Culture Victory Guide

simple, the city is still in resistance; you will receive the bonuses AFTER the city has settled down (takes the same number of turns as the population left in the conquered city--which can be a long time-- unless you had some level of influence over them)

Oh gotcha. Is that a mechanic unique to tourism, or does it apply to culture, gold, and faith as well? Aka am I an idiot who should have known this since vanilla civ?

Oh gotcha. Is that a mechanic unique to tourism, or does it apply to culture, gold, and faith as well? Aka am I an idiot who should have known this since vanilla civ?

It applies to pretty much everything. However you how to buy building maintenance when city is in resistance. Happiness buildings however give happiness during resistance.

Followed (mostly) this strategy and roflstomped emperor level in 1915. I would have gotten there sooner, but I ... I ... faithfully saved up three engineers so I could rush internet when I got the tech :lol: I think that was in Civ4 maybe? Anyway I was laughing when I realized my mistake.

I can clearly see that this will be fine on imm and deity level as well, so long as one remembers to keep some military.

This guide is great. I would recommend improving the layout etc as it is the best cultural vic guide imo

I got my first deity culture victory, playing with Egypt. I didnt use patronage at all but other than that it was essentially the same.

I've also found that going from edu->printing press is risky... other civs often get there first and build PISA. I went edu->acoustics and didnt look back. Got the important wonders sistine, uffizi etc and more.

I really do like egypt for this strat, their temples are good so you dont really need the faith generating religion.

i didnt even need the last 2 musicians i had sent to the cultural powerhouse.

Thanks

Bump

Just finished my second peaceful cultured attempt on huge map (continents). Played completely peaceful with Boadicea. If you want to know what i exactly did, read on.

Started in land, but walked to the coast, across the river since i could see it from turn 0. Found a culture ruin on turn 12. Tradition.

While building two scouts and a granary i received a free pantheon. It was decided in favor of goddess of the hunt. I founded a religion later, and never managed to enhance it, since fpt was abysmal, so i just settled my second prophet. I would have settled the first one too, in similar situation, but pantheon and 15% :c5production: bonus were too useful to give up.

Next, i've hard built three archers and sent them away to do some quests. On his quest for fortune, one scout encountered William, who gave up his "randomly running away from a barb" worker. Then, another worker was stolen, two more bought (later) and two more hard built by chopping the woods. Followed by three settlers in cap and by turn 55 the empire was set. NC --> t.79. Cargo ship towards capital started sailing on turn 90, when tradition was done.

I finished three quests, and from that time i have been friends/allied with four city states: cultural, maritime, faith and later came mercantile from a coup.

Initial path ingnored military completely, and i did my best to befriend everyone, even bowing submissively to CS harassments. Which worked out quite well. I was only denounced twice by Netherlands and Korea, mostly because by that time they have denounced everyone else, and i was, indeed, falling in with criminals in their eyes. So, they informed other criminals about my wickedness. Around t.200.

After Philosophy, Drama was a most obvious target, followed by education, guilds, workshop tech., acoustics and astronomy. Two triremes and two promoted scouts went exploring and found everything there was to find by t.199.

Spoiler :

During the game, my science wasn't anywhere near stellar, but given few trapping resources i was able to finance 7 or 8 research agreements. The money were falling from the skies like rain and i prioritized markets, banks and cargo ships to sustain a solid GPT.

My economy was based on: 10 iron, 2 horse, 4 truffles, Sugar, Silk, Ivory, 7 coal, 8 oil and 8 aluminium.

There were wonders: Oracle, Sistine, Ufizzi, Eiffel and Statue of Liberty.

After universities the path was tricky. I went for workshops and then acoustics while picking two policies in aesthetics. (cheap cultural buildings) I stole printing press (from Korea, btw) and went for architecture to snag a fast hermitage and Ufizzi. Next, followed public schools, fertilizer (i really needed it), archaeologists, factories and research labs.

Around turn 180 i Oxford'ed Radio and picked Freedom. Around t.215 freedom was finished, yet it took a long while after that to get broadcast towers up, since there were other important builds (hotels, labs). Rushed one lab in the Capital city. Filled Aesthetics and rationalism from then on.

Tough times came, when William denounced me on t.200. I hastily started to upgrade my military and build more units, yet the alert was false.

On t.240 Internet was on line and 12 turns later came airports.

Spoiler :

5 Scientists were bulbed, 2 settled. Eventually, i took 4 policies in rationalism, but last two came round about ecology.

2 musicians were produced (screwed them up, royally, could have done 3), 3 bought with faith. Which was just enough to win.

Spoiler :

The reason i am showcasing this game, is that a lot of stuff was missing and same can probably be done with a regular civ. (which Celts are) There were no international games, i've lost world's fair, no world religion, just three landmarks and i had to literally cross half the map to get most other artifacts from American, Indian and the Ottoman lands, because runaways Hiawatha, Sejong and Pachacuti dug out everything before i even discovered archaeology.

Before modifiers my tourism was 460.

After all modifiers i pressured runaways at an actual rate of 700-800 tourism. No way they could keep up in culture.

I am planning to do a France game next and see if i can do better. Same settings.

Anyway, Deau has pretty darn good cultural guide here, most of things i did similarly, i guess. The only thing i do differently is internet before radar.

P.S. By the looks of it, Hiawatha was planning to win by science during next 15-20 turns.

Moriarte -- in your turn 264 vic, I take it you had Open Borders with the culture leader? And/or the same ideology? My problem with non-Polynesia CVs is that the culture leader is usually kicking out 250+ culture by turn 200, and doesn't take my ideology (esp if it's Freedom), and often also refuses open borders -- meaning that even if I get up to 500 Tourism by turn 240, it takes a long time to overcome their headstart, even with GMs.

What's your take on all that?

Of course, with Polynesia, they can close all the borders they want, my 1100 tourism a turn mocks them heavily :lol:

Moriarte -- in your turn 264 vic, I take it you had Open Borders with the culture leader?

Yes, OB with everyone. As i said, i really pushed the dipomacy this time.

And/or the same ideology?

I was the only freedom civ. Up until the end, when 2 civs flipped to my side (inca and netherlands)

My problem with non-Polynesia CVs is that the culture leader is usually kicking out 250+ culture by turn 200, and doesn't take my ideology (esp if it's Freedom), and often also refuses open borders -- meaning that even if I get up to 500 Tourism by turn 240, it takes a long time to overcome their headstart, even with GMs.

What's your take on all that?

You either have to go all in science (and hope), or divert to artilleries and get yourself infinite landmarks/gold/happiness. Second method is generally easier.

Of course, with Polynesia, they can close all the borders they want, my 1100 tourism a turn mocks them heavily

Yes, Kammy is a deity of tourism.

Yes, OB with everyone. As i said, i really pushed the dipomacy this time ... I was the only freedom civ. Up until the end, when 2 civs flipped to my side (inca and netherlands)

HMMM. I wonder whether it was the Huge map, plus the continents, that did it. More distance often means less hostility, as you know. Maybe it's just on standard pangea that one has a lot more difficult getting opposing ideologies to give you open borders. I know I've had archipelago games that turned into huge lovefests, even with opposing ideologies.

Maybe it's just the Immortal level but I have never had much problems with being the only Ideology. It seems, though, that when an AI has the unique Ideology, it runs into all sorts of happiness problems.

HMMM. I wonder whether it was the Huge map, plus the continents, that did it. More distance often means less hostility, as you know. Maybe it's just on standard pangea that one has a lot more difficult getting opposing ideologies to give you open borders. I know I've had archipelago games that turned into huge lovefests, even with opposing ideologies.

water maps means that navies are so dominant and land units almost useless (much, much, easier to defend your empire with just subs) also the AI is very unlikely to covet your lands unless they settle near (and by near I mean right next to) you.

As for OB, before DoF expires after ideology comes in, quickly build them a landmark (make sure you park your knight over a site when archaeology is researched and build it when you need the diplo boost), and give them WC proposals that they like (then vote it down yourself then propose it again)
Your task will be much easier if you do it before the denouncement comes.

water maps means that navies are so dominant and land units almost useless (much, much, easier to defend your empire with just subs) also the AI is very unlikely to covet your lands unless they settle near (and by near I mean right next to) you.

As for OB, before DoF expires after ideology comes in, quickly build them a landmark (make sure you park your knight over a site when archaeology is researched and build it when you need the diplo boost), and give them WC proposals that they like (then vote it down yourself then propose it again)
Your task will be much easier if you do it before the denouncement comes.

Yeah, I think that's a flaw in water maps. The AI should expand whatever distance it uses for covet/aggression logic to encompass land. Let's say that on pangaea, they have an 8-tile radius, that's 270 *land* tiles. This is sufficient to settle 8 cities or so. But 270 tiles on a water map isn't enough for 8 cities. Water tiles should only count half or less IMHO. On a map comprised mostly of water, the nearest 500 tiles probably barely has room for 8 decent cities. Also, huge archipelago maps seem to put vast distances between the capitals. (More distance than on standard in my experience)

In my huge archipelago game, the AI never attacked me, although had they attacked, I would have easily repelled any invasion, given their pitiful naval warfare tactics. But, lest this devolve into a "Deity is unbalanced" thread, we already knew that. ;)

With an eye towards "Diplomacy is everything" I just tried/won a 2-city CV with Napoleon on Deity, Fractal. May be my first non-Polynesia CV, definitely my first non-Polynesia non-warfare CV! (BTW, I don't see why people say France is so good at CVs. The double cap modifier is pitiful in the grand scheme of things, and chateaus are like a 3rd-rate Head.)

It was a weird map, more like 2 big continents, tiny isthmus connected them. On my side I had a very aggressive Assyria and a wussy Boudicca. I bribed Assyria early and often, and eventually they were happy to declare war for 4gpt. He literally took over half the world, but because I took Order a turn after he did, no early Ideology issues, and because of all the bribes, even after he flipped to Freedom, no war. (Of course, he eventually flipped back to Order, because of his best bud, me!)

It's amazing how encouraging warfare worked so well. It would have been different, probably, if the other side of the world didn't have an Alexander to stir things up -- sometimes, the AI just wants to peacefully develop -- but because of all the war, the culture leader wasn't as dominant as he would be in other games, giving me just enough time to eke out a turn ~330 victory. (Would have been earlier, but when Darius got embargoed .. losing that 40% trade-route bonus hurts! Took me awhile to gain control of the WC and get that repealed.)

ANYway. I learned two valuable things from this:

1) Anything you can do to encourage the AI to beat each other up, go for it. Don't wait for them to mass at your borders -- if you have some $$, toss 20 or 30gpt at guys at the other half of the world to beat up each other, especially if it involves beating up Darius or Alex! (And preferably, Darius vs Alex).
2) A 2-coastal-city game is practical for non-SV wins. Early science is actually probably higher, only around turn 150+ do you level out and start to feel the pain of not maxing out at 1000 science, but you should have just enough GS action to get to Internet early enough.

With an eye towards "Diplomacy is everything" I just tried/won a 2-city CV with Napoleon on Deity, Fractal. May be my first non-Polynesia CV, definitely my first non-Polynesia non-warfare CV! (BTW, I don't see why people say France is so good at CVs. The double cap modifier is pitiful in the grand scheme of things, and chateaus are like a 3rd-rate Head.)

It was a weird map, more like 2 big continents, tiny isthmus connected them. On my side I had a very aggressive Assyria and a wussy Boudicca. I bribed Assyria early and often, and eventually they were happy to declare war for 4gpt. He literally took over half the world, but because I took Order a turn after he did, no early Ideology issues, and because of all the bribes, even after he flipped to Freedom, no war. (Of course, he eventually flipped back to Order, because of his best bud, me!)

It's amazing how encouraging warfare worked so well. It would have been different, probably, if the other side of the world didn't have an Alexander to stir things up -- sometimes, the AI just wants to peacefully develop -- but because of all the war, the culture leader wasn't as dominant as he would be in other games, giving me just enough time to eke out a turn ~330 victory. (Would have been earlier, but when Darius got embargoed .. losing that 40% trade-route bonus hurts! Took me awhile to gain control of the WC and get that repealed.)

ANYway. I learned two valuable things from this:

1) Anything you can do to encourage the AI to beat each other up, go for it. Don't wait for them to mass at your borders -- if you have some $$, toss 20 or 30gpt at guys at the other half of the world to beat up each other, especially if it involves beating up Darius or Alex! (And preferably, Darius vs Alex).
2) A 2-coastal-city game is practical for non-SV wins. Early science is actually probably higher, only around turn 150+ do you level out and start to feel the pain of not maxing out at 1000 science, but you should have just enough GS action to get to Internet early enough.

France suffers on Deity because the double theming bonus in the capital benefits most if you get all the key GWAM wonders. Which is really hard to do on Deity.

France suffers on Deity because the double theming bonus in the capital benefits most if you get all the key GWAM wonders. Which is really hard to do on Deity.

Well, I got Sistene and the Louvre (no bonus on Hermitage ever, though, not enough GA to trade for) and of course had the Museum bonus, so that's pretty good. Only important miss was Uffuzi, but how many GA can you get, anyway?

In my experience you get a lot more tourism from the Hotel/Airport/Visitor's Center combo, and the theming bonus is irrelevant there. I got more tourism from the extra culture from a single arch site than I did from the theming bonus. So pfffthththt, Napoleon!

I was really excited to see a 2-city build win on Deity. Didn't even have a mountain next to my cap, and only got to size 30. Didn't think it was possible. The early settler/cargo-ships going back and forth/turn 70 NC/bribe Assyria early and often strat really rocked!

If I hadn't started on the coast, though ... :cry:

Top Bottom