Shoshone Overview- Aimed at Deity Pangea play

Hey Nigel

You can check the saves out.
This was my bet try. But I leave it when I realize that I was not going to ever to catch up.

In this game Wu has been a passive neighbor. I only had a war with Bismark, but I fended him off.

Attachments

• Pocatello_0250 AD-1700.Civ5Save
    1.2 MB · Views: 269
  • Pocatello_0160 AD-1000.Civ5Save
    1 MB · Views: 282

You can check the saves out.
This was my bet try. But I leave it when I realize that I was not going to ever to catch up.

I like how your capital is on a river hill, next to a mountain. Too bad your Dos city is kind of close to the cap, but those pearls are great! I know there is always so much to build, but on the 1000 AD save, you didn't have lighthouses built yet, and most of the pearls weren't developed. A big part of the strategy is selling everything you can, and you really need the food from lighthouses.

Also, you seemed to not have your caravans maxed out - maybe from war? If your economy can afford it, run max food to the cap, and food boats like you did later between the coastal satellites when you have extra routes available.

The later save also had your tech path not optimized according to the strategy guide, where I think you are supposed to ignore Navigation thru Refrigeration for a long time. I think those techs all add a lot of fun to the game experience, but if you want quicker science domination, the guide really is powerful. (Myself, I always love having early Frigates, Biology to see where the oil is, etc, which is part of why I like playing Immortal instead of Deity most of the time!)

I tried using this strategy on an Oval Standard Size Map.
I found it very difficult to use. I started over desert with few good city placement options for rapid population growth and luxuries on the sea.

I tried three times to make it work.
Once I got brutally attacked by Bismark and he took one of my cities.
The second one I got good placement for the cities but Hiawatha is running a hard to catch runaway scientific civ on the other side of the map.
I failed miserably on my third attempt when Wu expanded faster than my on the few places that are available.

Is this strategy impossible to use on a desert start?
What can I improve?

Initial Save File Attached

Pretty easy map TBH as long as you don't settle in place. (take desert folklore but expand back to your starting location ftw) first settler goes east.
Shoshone getting CB early is ridiculously powerful in screwing AI.
Best way to deal with Bissy?
Step 1: make him attack your city
Spoiler :

Step 2: After everything dead, loot.
Spoiler :

Finally, if you're afraid of warmonger penalty, after making peace, pay someone to finish him off after you completely cut off his capitol (no city connection gold for him even if he recovers and expands).
7 workers, a settler, five caravans, a great prophet, silver, and a potential threat neutralized.
Spoiler :

Hey Nigel

I will try to get those pearls improved next time. I did not try it before because:
1) I had naval barbs going around so I had to take some turns to build defense for the work boats.
2) I had enough happiness already.
But surely I was not considering on loosing the money of selling them off.

Only on Deity I felt forced to change the inertia of my usual strategy.
I am also a player on Immortal myself. But a Deity win has eluded me for a while.

Hey kb27787

That is a good idea.
I knew that AI is not a good city attacker. I never though of using a city as a offensive weapon.

Also the "trapping" the capitol is a new concept for me. I usually play peacefully so I never had some many Citadels landed around. You need to have your territory two hex close to the enemy capital. Shoshone are great at it.

Thanks for the screenshots

Great guide! Gave me my first sub 300 win. Launched at turn 279, and Alex would have diploed on 280 :) Finally some luck!

Thanks, im currently trying this on emporer (im fairly new at civ and not that good lol) but the main problem for me is the worker farming. My nearest neighbor is Genghis Khan and he has so many units that i cant viably steal a worker. i see how u do it in the guide but i just dont feel comfortable stealing workers

Thanks, im currently trying this on emporer (im fairly new at civ and not that good lol) but the main problem for me is the worker farming. My nearest neighbor is Genghis Khan and he has so many units that i cant viably steal a worker. i see how u do it in the guide but i just dont feel comfortable stealing workers

Forget about worker steals on emperor - the AI and the CS get workers very slow. Just build some.

On Emperor, you can't rely on worker stealing alone. You will have to make at least 1 worker. You probably will never steal a worker from a civ, as by the time they have them, it will be hard to get past their defense. However, keep tabs on the near by city states. While it takes longer before they start to pump them out, they will start making workers and you can steal multiple workers from a single CS. Just don't make peace with them before it is done.

The trick with farming workers like this is to pick a spot that has an obstruction of view between the border and worked tile. They will not send a worker to a tile if they see you within 2 tiles, but if there is a hill, forest or jungle between the border and you, they will send the worker out to work the tile. You just have to occasionally use your scout to look over that obstacle. If they finish the tile improvement, you just need to pillage it so they will send the worker there.

I've taken 4 workers from a single CS this way on Emperor.

Top Bottom