The citizens are revolting (in more ways than one)!!

AJL.

Chieftain
Hi guys,

So, I'm working towards a dom vic on Immortal (standard Pangea map) and was the first to choose my ideology (Autocracy), but no other civ has chosen it and now my citizens are completely revolting (hehe) and I have to change my ideology to Freedom or my cities are going to start to convert :(

So, where did I go wrong? Is it because I haven't conquered enough capitals before the other civs chose their ideologies? I felt I was a bit slow in that dept. (just 1 so far) but I was on the end of the continent with CS between me and the rest so I had to get my navy going as well as the army and it was taking time. Then, Venice took the friendly CS between me and the Turks and that slowed me down as well.

Should I just abort the mission or is there any point in carrying on?

Thanks in advance :)

If you don't snipe capitals before ideologies become a factor then you need to be in the upper tier of culture and tourism per turn

Well just build happiness buildings and raze/sell stupid cities. Thats probably the problem here, not the lack of culture. Also, you probably didn't go tradition and don't have monarchy.

Authocracy has a lot of happiness inside when you get the level 2 tenet for happiness from military buildings (barracks, armories and mil. academies).

And btw - there is a reason why there are different difficulty levels. Things like this are part of the basics in the game, you better learn em before jumping to immortal.

Domination victory, ideology is already a factor, and you are getting owned in the culture war? How is that domination war going?

You might need to abort the mission.

I appreciate people taking the time to reply - one day I hope I'll be giving more advice here than I ask for - but dragonxxx, you need to be careful about assuming things about people and then making slightly harsh comments.

As a matter of fact I have full Tradition and haven't 'jumped' to Immortal. I have only started playing Immortal after achieving every kind of victory on Emperor level. However, I am still learning, I make mistakes and that's why I submit to this forum - to get help and tips from people who are playing better and, probably, who have been playing longer than me.

You need to learn new strategies as you go up through the levels, otherwise a win on King would be just as easy to get as on Deity, and what's the point of that?

don't take it personal. I am a bit surprised that you did not get familiar with ideology pressure on emperor, as while the ai is worse there, they still get to ideologies at times they matter.

also, in your question you give almost no info. are you at negative happiness or not? as that is the only thing that matters in your case. as long as you are happy, there is no need to switch.

^^^Well, if his people are revolting, doesn't that mean he has a lot of unhappiness?

Exactly docbud!

I went from about +15 happiness to -25 in one turn because the last civ to choose their ideology chose something different (4 civs sharing 2 ideologies and then me with a different one). This hasn't happened to me before when I have been the first to pick my ideology. I've had ideology pressure in other games, of course, but it was manageable with happiness tenets & buildings, etc.

My initial question was about whether it was worth trying to carry on with a dom vic when I would have to change from Autocracy to Freedom, and the more I talk about it, the more I think that it's time to abort the mission!

Thanks, guys. :)

well how many points in authocracy do you have? why don't you post some screenshots or even the savegame?

If you had +15 happiness before, I dont see the game-ender if you switch to freedom until you knock out Venice? Do you have any tourism at all? Can you buy open borders with someone and musician bomb them?

Hey dragonxxx and tetley, I think what you're talking about is more advanced than what I'm capable of!

The advice I've received from the forum until now about dom vic on this level has been to leave culture and tourism on the back burner while you concentrate on other things, eg. growing cities and building units. As a result, 'musician bombing' other civs is not an option right now.

My own cities are big and strong, 6 tiles apart, with +15/+20 pop. I have gone straight for capitals when conquering (and when possible), and have made puppets/burned other cities. I have nothing superfluous. I only have 6 cities and one of those is the recently acquired Belgrade. I've never taken a city from Venice before and didn't know that returning the city to the state was not an option. I wasn't planning on 'keeping' Belgrade, just returning it to my super ally and making it easier for me to get to the Turks...

I have 4 L1 tenets and 1 L2 tenet in Autocracy, which is the awesome double happiness for barracks, etc.

To be honest, this game just makes me sad! What I want is to know is, how do I play better so that I avoid this situation in the first place?!

If you had +15 happiness before, I dont see the game-ender if you switch to freedom until you knock out Venice? Do you have any tourism at all? Can you buy open borders with someone and musician bomb them?

I can't really imagine how you can get -40 happiness hit from ideologies in one turn, by a guy who takes ideologies 5th or 6th. That would mean that you are unknown to him, he is at least familiar over you, so you get insta rev. wave and for some reason, the other dudes with different ideologies do not pressure you at all before this despite your absent TPT and low culture. And on top of that you would need a lot of total population.

That doesn't seem possible to me tbh. The thing that happened could probably be him taking a big city, getting -20 and additional -20 from the ideology of the other dude.
And in that case, if you switch to freedom, and lose happines tenets from Authocracy you will still be unhappy, so its rather pointless to do so.

Remedy for this is to sell some cities, not switching ideology.
But still, this discussion is completely pointless without some real data to analyse.

Hey dragonxxx and tetley, I think what you're talking about is more advanced than what I'm capable of!

The advice I've received from the forum until now about dom vic on this level has been to leave culture and tourism on the back burner while you concentrate on other things, eg. growing cities and building units. As a result, 'musician bombing' other civs is not an option right now.

My own cities are big and strong, 6 tiles apart, with +15/+20 pop. I have gone straight for capitals when conquering (and when possible), and have made puppets/burned other cities. I have nothing superfluous. I only have 6 cities and one of those is the recently acquired Belgrade. I've never taken a city from Venice before and didn't know that returning the city to the state was not an option. I wasn't planning on 'keeping' Belgrade, just returning it to my super ally and making it easier for me to get to the Turks...

I have 4 L1 tenets and 1 L2 tenet in Autocracy, which is the awesome double happiness for barracks, etc.

To be honest, this game just makes me sad! What I want is to know is, how do I play better so that I avoid this situation in the first place?!

Well, why don't you upload your savegame, so we can check it out and give you more specific details :) ?

I imagine it was a mix of dissidence, added cities, which come with unruly citizens for some time, and a loss of CS allies all about the same time. I've never seen that much unhappiness pile on from dissidence alone. You can tell exactly how much of it was from dissident citizens by opening up your culture tab and go to ideology.

OK, so it wasn't -40, it was -20. I said -25, which was my mistake because I remembered wrong. I don't know where you got -40 from...

At this point in the game all the civs in the game are known to each other, so this didn't happen because someone was unknown. My civ was happy until the last civ in the game chose their ideology. I had had no problems until then.

I really appreciate everyone's comments but I'm not going to spend more hours on this game. There are others to be played and if I spend too much time on one, my girlfriend will kill me! ;)

OK, so it wasn't -40, it was -20. I said -25, which was my mistake because I remembered wrong. I don't know where you got -40 from...

At this point in the game all the civs in the game are known to each other, so this didn't happen because someone was unknown. My civ was happy until the last civ in the game chose their ideology. I had had no problems until then.

I really appreciate everyone's comments but I'm not going to spend more hours on this game. There are others to be played and if I spend too much time on one, my girlfriend will kill me! ;)

well from +15 to -25 = -40, I got it from there , heh :)

I don't think it's a lost cause, I USUALLY don't have to switch ideologies, but I have a couple times. You only lose the two free ones that you got in autocracy, so if you have five in autocracy, and you switch, you'd get three tenets in whatever ideology you switch to. I haven't seen much here about CS but that's usually a big part of my strategy too, going tradition, then two or three in patronage before rationalism. This allows me to get a few mercantile CS friended, or some others allied, depending on how many quests I can do. It also doesn't hurt to build the guilds and get some tourism going. I like saving my artists for GA's but I'll use SOME of my GW for works of literature. it's also good to build amphitheaters, museums etc so that when you take cities, you can raze them but take the great works. Don't know if you already do this or not, but that's what helps me.

It's also not necessarily a disaster to flip ideologies, especially if you can clean out the one-off benefits before switching for happiness and diplomatic benefits: e.g. free foreign legions from Freedom; free GS & GE from 3rd tier order; limited-turn military bonuses from autocracy. This helps offset any early adopter tenets you might lose.

There's also the ideology-specific wonders: because AIs rarely go freedom, you can often build Statue of Liberty at leisure, then keep it when you switch.

Top Bottom