Quick question: do you ever build Walls?

Do you ever build Walls?

• Yes, because...

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • Now, because...

Votes: 4 30.8%

• Total voters

Theov

Deity
I noticed I never have built Walls in Civ3.
Do you ever build them, and why (not)?

I'm planning to make them a tad more expensive but give them the 100% defense bonus instead of 50%.

You can talk about the Great Wall (Walls in every city on the continent and 100% bonus vs Barbs) here too.

Thanks.

I don't build walls. An extra unit or two in the city works just as well. If a wonder-building cascade falls to the Great Wall, then so be it, but otherwise walls are not worth the bother.

I always build walls. It improves units in the city so they dont just die easily and it improves the look of the city. It's a cheap improvement you can finish in just a few turns. In combination with hills it does its job well. It frees up a couple if not a few units more for your armies, and it does not have a maintenance cost so it saves a few GPT for more units.

Walls have a low priority because I tend to keep any threat at a distance and disable it before it gets to the cities.

But if I know the AI has chosen a route for invasions, somehing I have seen a few times happen, I'll build walls if this is still a pre-blackpowder attack.
Guard it with a elite defender and catapults or better, see the silly AI units die in front of the walls...

at very rare occasions. like that certain hill bottleneck hill fort town position against an angry and overwhelming Sid AI civ. but usually it is only a possible shortrush option.
t_x

Unlike in CivDOS, Civ3 Walls are cheap as chips, so why not? Of course I'd prefer to fight off invaders outside my cities, but sometimes the AICivs just don't give you that option.

So for a habitual turtle like me, 20 shields for a maintenance-free improvement that strengthens the D-values of all garrisoned units (including the ones you didn't actually intend to use as defenders!) seems like a pretty good deal. If you're willing/ forced to take the punches, the +50% increase in durability (Spear/Sword behind Walls has D=3 even before fortification or terrain bonuses are added) can also end up having roughly the same effect as a Rax -- increasing units' HP -- for half the building-price.

In general, though, I won't build Walls in any freshwater-towns that can grow past Pop6 on their own (because the Pop>7 D-bonus replaces the Walls D-bonus) -- but I will build 'em in potentially exposed dry towns in the early game, especially if it's likely to be a while before I get Construction and/or get round to building a 'Duct there instead. In the mid-game, Walling the border-towns is (much) cheaper/faster than building a Pike/ Mace/ Knight/ Musket there. In the late game (assuming I've made it that far), I might build 'em in exposed towns where I don't ever intend to build a Duct, e.g. Pop1-6 farms on my coasts (Arch and Cont-maps) or borders (for Pan-maps where I'm not going for a military win).

Regarding the GWall (and indeed most of the early Wonders, especially those which go obsolete in the Mid-Age), I don't generally aim to acquire it myself, unless I want/need it to trigger a GA -- but even then I'd prefer to take it from someone else and then (pre)build a Wonder that won't go obsolete.

I always build walls, because I always play with Raging Barbarians, that like to attack cities with no wall. The same holds true for rampaging Dinosaurs. Plus, I modify them a bit to help reduce corruption, along with having larger town populations so that they last longer. I also build a fair number of fortresses along with that. Great for keeping wandering AI personnel from wandering where you do not want them. My fortresses are a bit tougher as well. I like watching the AI destroy themselves.

I sometimes build walls but not as much as I used to. Now, it will usually be somewhere strategic in the early game or, in the late game, to strengthen a beachhead town against counter attack. A hoplite in a walled hill town is a tough cookie in the early game.

Usually i try to get towns to city size ASAP, thus there is no use for walls. In those few cases where city size is not available in time and passively defending a town is without good alternative walls are very useful.

Building walls via the Great Wall is fun, tough. Building the WW will happen either via SGL or in a large core city. The less advanced towns in the periphery however will not spend 20 shield into walls and can go for aqueducts directly. The GW mixes well with a feudalism like playstyle with a rapid expansion after all core towns have been established. The highly corrupt towns have few uncorrupt shields available, but such aggresive expansion - likely via military means - will likely result in military threads from other civs. Then those free wall are a kinda handy.

By the absolutism of the options in the poll I've had to vote yes, even though I barely ever build Walls for any strategic reason, it really is just the very occasional border town or deep in Barbarian territory thing. The Great Wall is mainly just aesthetically nice if all the other Wonder options are spent or to deprive an AI from getting it and making your conquering that bit harder.

I predominantly play a militaristic Civ & I build walls early and often. I always build them in borders towns, but also early in the game at the capital just for extra defence. First, they are easy and quick to build and second they have no maintenance cost. So why not take the added defensive bonus. They can make a huge difference defending towns early in the game. If your militaristic and don't build them you should reconsider.

I usually build walls, especially in the early game. I tend to play as the Germans, so walls are only 10 shields. It gives my cities something to build as they grow from size 1 to size 2, plus the additional defense is always useful.

I will occasionally build walls in towns near the borders of other civilizations in the Ancient Age and maybe the early Middle Age. Late in the Middle Age when my civilization is hopefully a power to be reckoned with, I will then sell them.

In a hopelessly corrupted city far away(like other continent), sometimes when there is nothing to do and there is another civ nearby, then yes. And by nothing to do i mean no worker or settler building.
Why not somewhere else? It's better to build offensive units than making sitting ducks into armed sitting ducks.
While building Great Wall is tempting just to minimize the defense of another ai, it's better to build offensive units(300 shields - 5 swordsmen + 5 horsemen, for example) and then fight that ai. Add to that the wonder power reduces over time and i don't have to fight that civ first(i can always pick other civs), it's better to 'give' that wonder to some other civ. For my own use? Hardly. Much better to use offensive units.
I guess different playstyles use different stuff.

builds the Walls quickly .... i think i have archers built every 10 turns.( you can adjust to what ever ) I do like auto produced troops...

i am thinking about build walls... get the defense up 50% ... then build new building..Archer Towers... that will build the archers ...

Top Bottom