Expansionist Opening Strategy: The Scout Gambit

Ric Flair

Chieftain
Howdy all,
For the past few weeks, I have been playing each civ in successive order, with random opponents on my usual world type (Demigod, Continents, old warm and huge, corruption fixed, max # of civilizations).

In one game, I was "stuck" with the Portuguese so I had to come up with a plan to overcome the generally accepted suckiness of these guys. I decided on a plan to maximize the advantages rather than pointlessly worrying about weaknesses which I can't fix (short of the editor).

To maximize the advantage, I simply looked at what Portugal has early on which most other civs cannot match; scouts! We all know the general advantages of a scout, but to get the absolute most out the exploration, hut popping etc., it made sense to me that I would need many scouts rather than just one.

This meant early and extreme mass producing of scouts, sacrificing production of settlers (no agri bonus, so why try to outgrow them) , other units (no indust bonus, so why try to build military units faster than China et al), city buildings (no building bonuses so why try to out build guys like Babylon) and terrain improvement (the goal of which is improved food production (to make settlers) and trade (to make money/research techs), neither of which I was going to need; at least not right away.

I set to work immediately building scouts, working only the best shield squares (at the expense of food, using my worker to chop trees if ideal (i.e. more rapid scout production with little or no shield wastage). Any population surplus (when it happened) was diverted into worker production for roads to connect discovered resources and chopping when ideal. Scouts were sent out into the world en masse. Settler production would be achieved only by hut generation at least in the early game.

Within short order, I had a swarm of 12-14 scouts systematically moving down the map like a horde of locusts, sucking up gold, settlers, "skilled" warriors (which were sent back home for future MP duty) and techs.

As the initial hut phase began to wane, I started production of some settlers soon after 2500 BC. I had advanced to the middle ages by 2200 BC, with a completely explored and hut emptied continent and my scouts on their way to galleys to strip the other land mass.

Another objective here with this strategy is also one of hut deprivation, where they are denied to the enemy. In a perfect world (which will never happen) your enemies should be denied ALL huts; no freebies, not even cheap military experience or (Mayan) slaves by popping barbs. Well, I came close as humanly possible.

With opponents which included the Inca, Aztecs, Mongols and Zulu, I was extremely gratified that my plan also largely deprived them of one of their civ advantages; there was scarcely anything left for their scouts (or Jags) worth discovering.

If used with the Inca, I guess the Chasqui (although more expensive) could also be used to indiscriminately liquidate rival scouts to further accentuate this advantage over other Expansionist civs.

It also turns out that, much like the known "Settler: existence or city production = no popped settlers", that I found the same effect when ANY city was producing a scout. Therefore, before popping any hut, I temporarily switched all city productions to at least give a chance of a hut settler. I ultimately received 7 of these, popping over 60 huts on my home continent.

Having discovered it as my free Philosophy tech, I rushed into Republic using luxuries and luxury slider to maintain happiness. The aim was that with Republican growth, my population would soar and my cities would either be able to continue mass producing settlers or, if so desired, even be able to build many wonders uncontested.

Portugal never looked so good. This was miles ahead of what would be a horrible game based on its tier status. Basically, hyper-aggressive production and use of scouts at the opening phase on placed Portugal into an unassailable position.

In my searching on this site, I have never seen this plan mentioned but I will nevertheless ask now; has anyone tried this before and, if so, what were the results?

Constructive comments/criticism/questions/ideas are welcome!

While you are hoping for settlers from huts building granaries can be a convenient way to bolster your food advantage.

A huge part of your success depends on your map choice. At huge maps there are lots of huts you can open. Also the choice of a mediocre difficulty setting like DG or Deity will suit the strategy. Chances fors techs and settler are still high. At Sid it will not work as chances are zero. Below Demigod AI will not expand fast enough for you to get settlers early on when they are most useful.

Also the choice of a mediocre difficulty setting like DG or Deity will suit the strategy.

Well THAT sure makes this Emperor-level player feel like a pathetic Earthling. If I wasn't a SWG I'd call it a micro-aggression! Just kidding, but the facility with which some uber-performers handle "mediocre difficulty" provokes more than a little envy and bafflement. You guys (and gals?) have my respect and admiration as well. :goodjob:

Well, moderate instead of mediocre might be the better term. If you steadily increase the difficulty levels, than you will notice that two steps are rather sharp. From Emperor to Demigod and later from Deity to Sid. At Emperor and below the stupidness of AI is insufficienty compensated by severe boni. At Sid one can still beat AI, but it gets somewhat ugly. There one has to play in a way that may not be so much fun after all. At the moderate levels DG and Deity AI can be challenging, but one still has leeway to play the way one likes to play. :)

Yeah, the two settlers at Demigod seem to be the biggest boni; the extra worker(s), units and production discounts are just icing on the cake. At least that sounds like a good rationalization for why I can't win at that level...

BTW concerning Ric Flair's OP, never heard of the goody-hut settler formula before. Wonder how many other gambits, exploits, tricks and whatnot can be used in this ne-plus-ultra grand strategic wargame.

Howdy all,
For the past few weeks, I have been playing each civ in successive order, with random opponents on my usual world type (Demigod, Continents, old warm and huge, corruption fixed, max # of civilizations).

In one game, I was "stuck" with the Portuguese so I had to come up with a plan to overcome the generally accepted suckiness of these guys. I decided on a plan to maximize the advantages rather than pointlessly worrying about weaknesses which I can't fix (short of the editor).

To maximize the advantage, I simply looked at what Portugal has early on which most other civs cannot match; scouts! We all know the general advantages of a scout, but to get the absolute most out the exploration, hut popping etc., it made sense to me that I would need many scouts rather than just one.

This meant early and extreme mass producing of scouts, sacrificing production of settlers (no agri bonus, so why try to outgrow them) , other units (no indust bonus, so why try to build military units faster than China et al), city buildings (no building bonuses so why try to out build guys like Babylon) and terrain improvement (the goal of which is improved food production (to make settlers) and trade (to make money/research techs), neither of which I was going to need; at least not right away.

I set to work immediately building scouts, working only the best shield squares (at the expense of food, using my worker to chop trees if ideal (i.e. more rapid scout production with little or no shield wastage). Any population surplus (when it happened) was diverted into worker production for roads to connect discovered resources and chopping when ideal. Scouts were sent out into the world en masse. Settler production would be achieved only by hut generation at least in the early game.

Within short order, I had a swarm of 12-14 scouts systematically moving down the map like a horde of locusts, sucking up gold, settlers, "skilled" warriors (which were sent back home for future MP duty) and techs.

As the initial hut phase began to wane, I started production of some settlers soon after 2500 BC. I had advanced to the middle ages by 2200 BC, with a completely explored and hut emptied continent and my scouts on their way to galleys to strip the other land mass.

Another objective here with this strategy is also one of hut deprivation, where they are denied to the enemy. In a perfect world (which will never happen) your enemies should be denied ALL huts; no freebies, not even cheap military experience or (Mayan) slaves by popping barbs. Well, I came close as humanly possible.

With opponents which included the Inca, Aztecs, Mongols and Zulu, I was extremely gratified that my plan also largely deprived them of one of their civ advantages; there was scarcely anything left for their scouts (or Jags) worth discovering.

If used with the Inca, I guess the Chasqui (although more expensive) could also be used to indiscriminately liquidate rival scouts to further accentuate this advantage over other Expansionist civs.

It also turns out that, much like the known "Settler: existence or city production = no popped settlers", that I found the same effect when ANY city was producing a scout. Therefore, before popping any hut, I temporarily switched all city productions to at least give a chance of a hut settler. I ultimately received 7 of these, popping over 60 huts on my home continent.

Having discovered it as my free Philosophy tech, I rushed into Republic using luxuries and luxury slider to maintain happiness. The aim was that with Republican growth, my population would soar and my cities would either be able to continue mass producing settlers or, if so desired, even be able to build many wonders uncontested.

Portugal never looked so good. This was miles ahead of what would be a horrible game based on its tier status. Basically, hyper-aggressive production and use of scouts at the opening phase on placed Portugal into an unassailable position.

In my searching on this site, I have never seen this plan mentioned but I will nevertheless ask now; has anyone tried this before and, if so, what were the results?

Constructive comments/criticism/questions/ideas are welcome!

I did not know this. Thanks for a great post. I admire the originality of this plan.

While you are hoping for settlers from huts building granaries can be a convenient way to bolster your food advantage.

A huge part of your success depends on your map choice. At huge maps there are lots of huts you can open. Also the choice of a mediocre difficulty setting like DG or Deity will suit the strategy. Chances fors techs and settler are still high. At Sid it will not work as chances are zero. Below Demigod AI will not expand fast enough for you to get settlers early on when they are most useful.

Hm, I'm still only a monarch-level player, but still, I think I might try this gambit anyway.

It makes sense, but i didn't know such strategy could be so strong. Because of your post i think next civ will be definitely expansionist.

Of course, if thinking logically, why should anyone build warriors for exploration if you are expansionist? Maybe for mp, but even then very minimally.

Judging by this guy's post history we can expect some feedback to our replies somewhere between 6 months time and 9 years time.

I have used aggressive production of scouts to get early techs. It was on a standard map though and I was playing with Russia to get a fast diplomatic victory. Scouts did help me fly past the AA pretty easily and the best part was that despite my being in anarchy. I was still gaining techs every turn. However that's as far as I went with scouts.
On a huge map this ability is, apparently, greatly amplified in usefulness, since the techs are costlier and the huts more abundant. Also, the idea of depriving the AI of a chance to get techs is a good one. But I don't think going as far as 15 scouts in the early expansion phase is a good idea since, even on a huge map, these many would be overkill considering that they'll only be following each other's trail. Nonetheless, this is a nice strategy.

...But I don't think going as far as 15 scouts in the early expansion phase is a good idea since, even on a huge map, these many would be overkill considering that they'll only be following each other's trail. Nonetheless, this is a nice strategy.

Actually, I found very little overlap in scout paths, excepting those cases where there was only one plain/grassland route to get through a maze of forest or jungle squares. In fact, in my game with Russia, I stopped at 24(!) scouts in 2670 BC; they were still proving useful (i.e. uncovering huts) over 1000 years later on the other land mass.

And the Carracks allowed you to sail the oceans before anyone else, be the one who had contact with the whole world and made you tech broker, yes?

You better believe it, Theov. Indeed, when you have scads of scouts in existence, the best way to use them is to get them to "the next frontier." I have read and studied all of the civ reviews in depth; the collected work, intellect and effort of the civfanatics community over the years has been quite the thing to behold.

Hola Buttercup! I figured my history showed that, like the chess master I am, that I like to think things over...DEEPLY... but, YMMV. :)

Sorry for the off-topic RF, but if you're a chess master why would you play an opening which has been eviscerated for decades by the Yugoslav Attack and other Dragon-killers? Not that I have any better advice--got as much chance to beat a master as your typical muckity-muck 1700 player.

Hola Buttercup! I figured my history showed that, like the chess master I am, that I like to think things over...DEEPLY... but, YMMV. :)

Btw, the Barb setting was sedentary, as usual for my games. I suppose Raging Barbs would have the effect of slowing down the breakneck speed of the scouts and/or knocking some of them off.

6 g3!! 1-0

Howdy all,
I have posed a .sav from my most recent attempt at the swarm of scouts; I stopped a bit "prematurely" with only 15 or so scouts. Most of the recent attempts have seen over 20.

Two turns ago I noticed a swarm of about eight Portuguese warriors outside one of their cities, heading east in my direction. Looks too fishy to be exploration, so with the advance notice provided by my scouts, presumably I'll have time to get some spearmen in place for city defense.

Another helpful hint; when trying to pop techs from huts, the game will never give you the advance you are researching unless it has no choice (e.g. Philosophy when you have Monarchy, Currency, Construction, Col, Lit, Maps).

IMO it sucks when you get maps, since with so many scouts your map will be utterly complete soon enough! Almost as bad is getting a free city when it is not properly located in relation to your existing cities; MUCH prefer free settlers to free cities.

Attachments

• Gorbachev of the Russians, 2350 BC.SAV
    258.2 KB · Views: 125
6.g3 is even worse than the Yugoslav. If White wants to play a kingside fianchetto and get an advantage against the Sicilian, play the Closed Sicilian! :)

Well, up to a certain level, you're right that the Open Sicilian should not be played. White has too much theory to learn. But as you go higher up, right to the top, hardly anyone plays anti-Sicilians and of those who play the Sicilian, hardly anyone plays the dragon.

End of derail.

Top Bottom