Should I get Civ 3?

Politico34

Chieftain
So I have really been enjoying Civ Rev (I am a first time civ player) and I am confident that I would enjoy the deeper civ experience that I have been reading about on this sight and others that can be found in the computer games. I have an ibook G4, and the best civ game it can run is Civ 3 complete. Is this older game worth the 39.99 apple and amazon charge for it?
Is civ 4 so superior that I should wait until I get a new computer or is civ 3 pretty fun and enjoyable?

I think you'll find a lot of Civ vets still talk very highly of Civ3. I think I personally may like it better than Civ 4 but that could be the nostalgia talking. And if you liked Civ Rev, but hoped for a bit more in the strategy department I don't think you could go wrong with that purchase.

my favorite is deffinately civ 4 with BTS. Civ 2 is second followed by civ 3 then civ 1.

I really like Civ4 but it brings my G5 to it's knees. Despite having a pretty tough Mac with a decent vidcard it's just too slow.

Both are great but I prefer Civ3 for performance reasons alone.

Any civilization game is great, but be ready to put more time playing. Is not like revolution where you can win in 2-4 hours. In older versions of civilization it could take you days.

Wow, that's a steep price for an ooold game.

It's a good game, I can't see it being worth that much now though. ebay?

Civ 3 is an excellent game. There are some things I like about it over Civ 4, such as the ability for Galleys to enter oceans at the risk of sinking (as opponed to be unable to enter oceans at all in Civ 4), but I enjoyed both overall. I would get it.

IMO civ3 complete at $40 is a lot better bargain than paying $60 for Rev. (also true with civ4) You got tons of good mods to download and play which greatly increasing playability. I like civ4 better yet in your case civ3 would be a better bargain since you don't have to spend money on hardware.

Somewhere in a dark, smoky room at the Firaxis main office, a dark mysterious figure comments, "I just love it when a plan comes together."

So I have really been enjoying Civ Rev (I am a first time civ player) and I am confident that I would enjoy the deeper civ experience that I have been reading about on this sight and others that can be found in the computer games. I have an ibook G4, and the best civ game it can run is Civ 3 complete. Is this older game worth the 39.99 apple and amazon charge for it?

Civ3 Complete is a great bundle I feel you'll enjoy a great deal. You can grab Civ4 down the road when you've got a newer computer. Don't hesitate, you'll not be disappointed.

I'm starting to see more of the "Civ Rev was fun, but I'd like to do more" topics pop up around the Internet and in the real world.

Wonder how many new regular Civ players will be born. Perhaps this is a good base builder for Civ V.

Maybe it's time to play the A-Team theme song?

I recommend Civ 3. Much tougher (and longer) challenge than Civ: Rev, though! And by that I mean get ready for a real time warp! Just...one...more....turn!

If you like CivRev you'll like Civ3. It was my first Civ game, I then got Railroads!, got into Firaxis' games got Civ4 Gold and BTS and Civ2 and am only missing Civ1. In short, Civ3 is addicting as are all of Firaxis' games.

Civ 4 is very fun and worth buying but for some reason I dont think it has yet acheived what Civ 3 did. When I played civ3 hardcore I would day dream about scenarios and strats while in class. The game was wickedly addictive and insanely fun to play. Civ3 had a better core without all the expansions Civ4 has tacked onto it to make it as compelling. YOu cant go wrong with Civ 3 but eventually youll need to step up to Civ 4 because Civ 4 has the potential to be as good a 3 was in its prime and has better advanced options and diplomacy.

I haven't played CivRev or civ IV, but I definitely do recommend Civ III. With regard to this comment:

Is not like revolution where you can win in 2-4 hours.

No. You CAN win in 2-4 hours... just build one city and shoot for diplomatic/20k (I don't know which works as faster, but I've done 20k in that time on probably a slower machine). You can't win with a slew of cities in that time... or at least I don't know how to do so.

In the Off Topic forums there's a poll going on 'Which version of Civ do you like best?', and Civ 3 tops it, so you can expect people to recommend it to you.
I'm joining the queue, but I would say it's worth doing some bargain hunting to see whether you can get it a bit cheaper. Try Ebay or so. Definitely go for Complete, don't settle for just the first version.

There is a new copy on Ebay for $15. Good price!

I got Civ3 from Wal-Mart and I had a lot of fun from what I played. But for whatever reason (I blame Wal-Mart, and myself by extension for shopping there), the inside ring started cracking and the disk became unusable.

I ran Civ4 Vanilla on my old ass Windows based machine. It doesn't run fantastic and it can be a pretty long wait between turns towards the end of the game. I'm not very savvy about the capability differences between PC's and Mac's, but they look pretty similar to me. You might be able to get away with running it by just upgrading your RAM.

It crashes when I try to play Beyond the Sword on it, though.

I use my Mom's laptop to play now, and I've learned a few tricks since. Playing with less players on a smaller map probably would have helped me a lot.

I've got a 1.2 Gig Processor, 1 Gig of DDR RAM and a Radeon 9250. I believe those are below the minimum system req's, I know squat about video cards, though. But your processor is better than mine, I think the vid card probably is too?

Anyhow, you can get a way cheaper copy on eBay. There are more than enough people that buy these games, reel at the depth and complexity and go back to StarCraft or whatever. Definetaly get Civ3 Complete. If you loves it, see if you can scrounge up Vanila Civ4 for cheap or try to find a less than legal copy.:backstab:

Top Bottom