Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

i know i can install civ3(steam version) on multi computers, but is it legal? the 2k game terms says it is not legal to install game on two computers.

Theo, make the Heavy Cavalry require Iron and Horses if people want to build it on themselves; they'll get it for free from the statue. :D
Would that work? (I don't know much about modding, but) that sounds as if it would render the SoZ useless if the SoZ-owner didn't also have Iron+Horses themselves...?

Or are you actually suggesting that, in addition to the standard-issue 'Ancient Cavalry' (unbuildable, but spawned from the SoZ, needs Ivory), Theov also adds a cloned unit, which uses the ACav graphics and sounds, called 'Heavy Cavalry' (buildable after e.g. Maths, maybe as an upgrade between Horsemen and Knights, needs Iron+Horses)?

i know i can install civ3(steam version) on multi computers, but is it legal? the 2k game terms says it is not legal to install game on two computers.
Admittedly, I haven't had anything to do with Steam since they broke my Half-Life installation a couple of years back, but...

My understanding of the Steam T&C was that you can install a Steam-game on >1 comp, but you can only run it on 1 comp at any given time: logging-in to a Steam-account from one machine should automatically prevent any other machine(s) from accessing that account. So for example, you could have the Steam-client installed on both your desktop (so you could play while at home), and your laptop (to play while away from home), and that would be legal. I believe it would also be legal to install your copy of a game on a friend's machine -- e.g. if you wanted to show him/her how cool it is, or even play a Hotseat-game (if that's currently possible?) -- provided that the game was uninstalled from that machine (or at least, never run again using your account-details) after you were done playing.

However, what you could not (legally) do would be to leave the game installed on your friend's machine, and give them your SteamID+password, allowing them to continue to play the game in your absence. This would violate Steam's T&C, and hence constitute illegal usage. Even if your friend(s) was/were to play in offline-mode, (it seems reasonable to assume that) the Steam-client records exact date+time info, so (simultaneous, offline, illegal) usage of a single game-copy on >1 machine (at >1 ISP-address) would not remain undetected for long. And when (not if) such illegal usage was discovered, you personally (as the owner of that Steam-account) would be penalised accordingly, e.g. with freezing/deletion of your Steam account at best (at worst, you could actually face a lawsuit). Depending on how litigious/punitive Steam's lawyers are feeling, similar penalties might well also be applied to any of your friends who held Steam-accounts and whose ISP-addess(es) had also been used to log into your Steam-account (possibly even including those who had not actually played illegally).

Would that work? (I don't know much about modding, but) that sounds as if it would render the SoZ useless if the SoZ-owner didn't also have Iron+Horses themselves...?

I assume that the units built by any wonder donnot depend on the resources needed by the unit but only on the resources needed by the wonder. So you could make the SoZ produce modern armour and you get them even if you donnot have aluminium or even the tech for alu or for the modern armour itself.

Theo, make the Heavy Cavalry require Iron and Horses if people want to build it on themselves; they'll get it for free from the statue. :D

I made another unit come out of the Statue of Zeus; Kratos, the mythological embodiment of Power.

Or are you actually suggesting that, in addition to the standard-issue 'Ancient Cavalry' (unbuildable, but spawned from the SoZ, needs Ivory), Theov also adds a cloned unit, which uses the ACav graphics and sounds, called 'Heavy Cavalry' (buildable after e.g. Maths, maybe as an upgrade between Horsemen and Knights, needs Iron+Horses)?
it's simpler, you can just make the AC be a buildable unit, you can set the requirements yourself, this has no influence on the SoZ.

I assume that the units built by any wonder donnot depend on the resources needed by the unit but only on the resources needed by the wonder. So you could make the SoZ produce modern armour and you get them even if you donnot have aluminium or even the tech for alu or for the modern armour itself.

I did a little test run.

They are seperate from each other.

The wonder (SoZ) needs Ivory to build the AC (if you disconnect the ivory, the AC will not come out).
But if the AC requires horses/iron to build yourself, this is possible. The SoZ does not need horses/iron and you don't need Ivory to build them yourself.

Make sense?

So the steam installation has more restrictive terms than if I used my physical copy of Civ 3. :shake:

Re: unit-producing buildings.
Yes, you can, as Theov's said. I'ive always wondered why Ancient Cavalry wasn't included for all in the epic game, but, well, I still must repeat that Civ3 is a never-finished beta.

Before killing off the final city an opponent (in the ancient age) make peace with them and ask for all their techs and money. They will happily give it to you. Then finish the deal and take that last city.

Re: unit-producing buildings.
Yes, you can, as Theov's said. I'ive always wondered why Ancient Cavalry wasn't included for all in the epic game, but, well, I still must repeat that Civ3 is a never-finished beta.

The Ancient Cavalry unit is based on Alexander the Great's Companion Cavalry, which were probably the best heavy cavalry unit in the Ancient period, and were unique to the time of Alexander. It would make equal sense to have them as a second Ancient Age unique unit for Greece, but combined with the hoplite, probably would make the Greeks a tad overpowered.

Their armour actually looks more like the Roman Legionary's than the Greek Hoplite's IMO. But everyone should have them… when did the Aztecs field tanks and fighter jets again?

I did not know the AI could be quite so casual in its attitude to RoPs. I had one with the Byzantines. They landed a cavalry unit and some other stuff on my coast and, in quite what order I'm not sure (due to automation) declared war and travelled along my railways walking into an undefended town deep in the interior. The landing had no other conceivable purpose so I knew what was coming. What is my newbie question? Good point. Well, this sort of thing is new to me. Is it common/normal for the AI to behave in such a disreputable manner?

I did not know the AI could be quite so casual in its attitude to RoPs. I had one with the Byzantines. They landed a cavalry unit and some other stuff on my coast and, in quite what order I'm not sure (due to automation) declared war and travelled along my railways walking into an undefended town deep in the interior.
Assuming that the town Dora took was more than 3 tiles from the landing point, the backstab/ DoW must have happened when the town was taken, not before.
The landing had no other conceivable purpose so I knew what was coming. What is my newbie question? Good point. Well, this sort of thing is new to me. Is it common/normal for the AI to behave in such a disreputable manner?
Short answer, yes it is, both common and normal. And frequently suicidal.
Spoiler :
In my Random-Emp-Koreans game last year, Gilgamesh had Monty down to one mainland city, and I'd then liberated all Monty's towns from Sumerian influence (but kept them for myself). The Aztecs were out-numbered, out-teched, and out-gunned (I had ModArm -- they had Rambos), and I'd never had a real shooting war with them, so I figured I'd be safe making an RoP, to shuttle my units up to Monty's ex-holdings to the north of his cap, and so on.

Then out of the blue, Monty marched a Rambo down my rails and into my unguarded capital (Moscow -- I'd taken it from Cathy, and moved my Palace there), and torched my Spaceship. The damage was not irreparable, but it was irritating. So irritating that I wiped him off our Continent, and bribed Gandhi to take out his last couple of offshore Tundra-towns for me. Then I replaced the lost Ship-parts while I was finishing the last couple of Ship-techs, built the rest, and launched :p

...addition:

if you capture the SoZ and it's due to give a unit on turn z, you need to have ivory.
It doesn't mean that it gives 5 turns after it's connected to ivory again. If you have ivory, and it's due to give a unit, it will.
I think it just works that from the moment anyone builds it, every 5 turns it will give a yes/no question for ivory. If it's yes, it produces, if no, then not.

I just ran into this situation :)

Their armour actually looks more like the Roman Legionary's than the Greek Hoplite's IMO. But everyone should have them… when did the Aztecs field tanks and fighter jets again?

You can always change it to a Small Wonder that everyone can build who has access to Ivory.

Assuming that the town Dora took was more than 3 tiles from the landing point, the backstab/ DoW must have happened when the town was taken, not before.Short answer, yes it is, both common and normal. And frequently suicidal.
Spoiler :
In my Random-Emp-Koreans game last year, Gilgamesh had Monty down to one mainland city, and I'd then liberated all Monty's towns from Sumerian influence (but kept them for myself). The Aztecs were out-numbered, out-teched, and out-gunned (I had ModArm -- they had Rambos), and I'd never had a real shooting war with them, so I figured I'd be safe making an RoP, to shuttle my units up to Monty's ex-holdings to the north of his cap, and so on.

Then out of the blue, Monty marched a Rambo down my rails and into my unguarded capital (Moscow -- I'd taken it from Cathy, and moved my Palace there), and torched my Spaceship. The damage was not irreparable, but it was irritating. So irritating that I wiped him off our Continent, and bribed Gandhi to take out his last couple of offshore Tundra-towns for me. Then I replaced the lost Ship-parts while I was finishing the last couple of Ship-techs, built the rest, and launched :p
LOL :D

Short answer, yes it is, both common and normal. And frequently suicidal.

I believe I'm rare in doing this, most players view it as a waste, but it is for this very reason that I keep at least 2 units in every city, and guarding my tall stacks of sleeping workers. And my stacks of bombers. And artillery. Trust no one!

Especially not Theov (alluding to another thread).

However, with the railroads, what will happen is that only the 1st unit will whip down the rail and take action. That starts the war. Then that unit's buddies have to huff it. So 2 units is enough to protect anything not within cav range of the border. And there is the bonus of happy feet if you have the right gov.

in quite what order I'm not sure (due to automation) declared war and travelled along my railways walking into an undefended town deep in the interior.

If they had the benefit of using the railways then they moved their units first, otherwise they would have been restricted by wartime movement allowance, with no benefit from roads or railways; an active ROP ends immediately when a war is started.

Hello all. New here and have recently installed Civ3 PTW from CD onto an ASus laptop running Windows 10. In Nov 2015 Lanzelot posted that someone reported the game locking up when they completed their space ship. I'm experiencing this. Has anyone discovered why? Is there a fix?
Any reply greatly appreciated!

Welcome to CFC! :wavey:

What type of freeze is it? Can you provide a screenshot or a copy/paste of the error message?
Also, can you link us to Lanzelot's error message?

Takhisis, THank you for your response!
Here is the post from page 210 of this forum

Windows 10?

I just heard that Windows 10 is unable to play the victory movie that normally gets displayed after a spaceship victory, somehow causing the game to "jam". Sounds like your are suffering from that problem?

Using nukes definitely has nothing to do with it, I would say... ;)

Sorry, I am inept at most computer operations and have no idea how to capture a screen shot. The error message is: Civ3Complete is not responding. It offers two options: Close the program or wait for it to respond. Waiting for over 15 minutes does nothing. The screen appears to have a white scrim/overlay to it so the spaceship and components image is kind of fuzzed over.
After reading more from this and other forums from this site, I must tell you i have the game installed in the default folder. It is patched up to date. I have attempted to find the .ini file so I can get the game into native screen resolution, but have had no luck finding the file. and Where the heck Is M$ putting the saved games? I have searched the Windows directory for a Virtual Store with no results.
Please forgive my complete incompetence.
Thanks again.

Top Bottom