I wonder if the city view has been restored

iliekater

Chieftain
Hi ! It's been many years since I played Civ III and all those years I had a question in my mind : Since the release of the Conquests expansion pack , the city view had been disabled . So I kept wondering if anyone managed to restore it . I am referring to that screen where one could see the buildings of the city from a distance ; the rivers , the coast etc . Even the wonders looked nice !

Since the release of the Conquests expansion pack , the city view had been disabled

That is not true. In any regular C3C 1.22 game you can see the wonderful city view with all the wonders. Actually some of the new wonders have not been added to the city view, but this does not stop you from using the city view.

Some scenerios donnot use the city view. That may have led you to the wrong conclusion.

As justanick said, the city view has always been available in the default game. For modified scenarios however, the city view does not work as it was never enabled by Firaxis.

You are right ! It does exist ! And yes , it's not visible in user created scenarios . I just made two tests .
But I remember that back at those days I had read somewhere (maybe in the manual ? ) a statement from Firaxis that i was sorry for not being able to allow the city view ... Oh well , I guess I don't remember it correctly .

The story behind the cut out of the city view graphics in C3C scenarios is the following:

In PtW there were crashes in the city screen when mods or scenarios had more than the 16 luxury and strategic resources. To fix this problem in a very cheap and not time consuming way, the programmers used the screen that originally was used for the city view graphics, to show strategic resources in a city that surpass the number of strategic resources, that the city screen could hold. I attache an old screenshot of SOE I had uploaded long ago at CFC showing the new task of that screen:

For the normal standard game of C3C, the programmers left the old coding of the city view screen, as they thought, nobody would mod the main biq of C3C (until now. :D) and therefore there wouldn´t be any problem with a surplus of additional strategic resources.

Spoiler :

Top Bottom