Colonisation

AntoniTheRed

Chieftain
I was thinking to myself while playing another strategy game *cough* EU4 *cough* 'What if Civ 5 had some sort of colony mechanic?'

This, I would think would work differently than just simply settling down across the seas. I think what could happen is that when you reach a certain tech level and you settle a city down a certain amount of tiles away from your core holdings (perhaps on another continent) it becomes a 'colony'. One idea I have is that colonies in theory would work much like a puppet city, except they can produce settlers for you. And, perhaps over time you can integrate the city into your empire proper

Another idea I have is that they operate more independently, like city states. They can over time produce their own units, declare their own wars, and settle additional cities. A benefit for this would be that they would give a portion of the resources they gather or they give you a portion of their gold income and can only open trade routes with their mother country. This could also be interesting in the way that the mother country would have to keep up good relations with their colonies, by changing taxation rates, or lifting trade embargoes with other civs, etc. lest the relations deteriorate and they attempt to declare independence in which they may draw in rival civs or fellow colonies. Like above, over time you may possibly get the option to integrate the colony into your empire.

But, this is only my idea and I would love to hear some input from the community on this.

Top Bottom